Western/ COMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone with an opinion about Western? Just wondering about the quality of the education (rotations, residency placement ect...) I am also interested in what it is like to live in Pomona. I am currently in San Diego, so I know it will be a bit different. I would really like to know anything concerning this school...good and bad. thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if this site still has a search feature, but if it does you can look up past thread on this subject.

I've been out to Pomona 3 times (twice for COMP and once to interview for a job in Japan). I grew up in L.A. and the one thing that I noticed was that there didn't seem like a lot of things to do. I'm not an expert, though and am looking forward to some other replies.

I think the crime rate is low.

I currently live in Claremont, which is the city just north of Pomona. The other cities that surround Pomona are nice to live in (Upland, San Dimas, La Verne) and Claremont is a college town with a lot of student housing. Pomona has really cleaned up its image in the last few years, and there are parts that would be good to live in.

A friend of mine graduated from Western and has nothing but good things to say about the quality of the rotations. There are a lot of local hospitals, as well as a newer county hospital (San Bernardino County) where Western students rotate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are two links you may be interested regarding WesternU/COMP.

1. COMP is the 5th highest rate to pass COMLEX.
COMLEX 1 Pass Rate Among All DO Schools

2. COMP Graduates matched into highly competitive programs year after year. Here's the 2002 match results, and you can contact COMP for the previous years. It's very impressive.

COMP 2002 Match Results

COMP is constantly bringing up its academic standard. In do so, quite a few marginal students are voicing their displeasure with the school. I suggest you read those negative remarks with an ocean of salt. After all, you should judge a school by the quality of its graduates. From the above links, there should be no doubt that COMP students are doing well.

single track,
I have a lot of family in the Upland-Alta Loma area. If I get into COMP I was hoping to get a place in Claremont. I am afraid however about the cost of living. Are there plenty of affordable options....knowing that it it So. Cal?

Blah_3x,

Claremont is a college town so there are some relatively inexpensive housing options. There is a housing office that lists available apartments and can put you in contact with people who are seeking roommates/housemates. If you could live with your relatives, the commute to COMP from Upland or Alta Loma would be very manageable.

Molybdenum,

All DO students are required to pass the THREE COMLEX exams. I know many COMP graduates did not take USMLE since it is not a graduation requirement. Yet, they were able to match to AMA (allopathic) hospitals without taking USMLE. I also know many students decided to take USMLE, and a very high percentage of them passed.

COMP's 97% passage rate at COMLEX 1 is very impressive.:clap: