western -- ISAC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyclomethane

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i didn't enroll in the intensive summer anatomy course at western.

it's too late now, and i regret not doing that:(. i've never taken a course in anatomy in college.

am i screwed? what can i do now before school starts to prepare for anatomy? what textbook or other study materials should i look at? what do you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

it's too late now, and i regret not doing that:(. i've never taken a course in anatomy in college.

am i screwed? what can i do now before school starts to prepare for anatomy? what textbook or other study materials should i look at? what do you recommend?

You will get to study anatomy in med school, so why worry?

You will get to study anatomy in med school, so why worry?

because i've recently heard about students failing anatomy. and if i'm at a disadvantage coming into something so difficult, then that's a cause for worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
You got into med school. The only people at my school that failed courses were the people who didn't take it seriously. I hadn't had human anatomy since high school and I did ok. Just pay attention, take notes and spend some extra time in the anatomy lab practicing. It helps to go in groups and quiz each other.

I am a fourth year at Western and I think you made the right decision. When you take the general course in the fall you'll have 2-3 months to digest anatomy versus 6 weeks in ISAC. It used to be that ISACers had a huge advantage over their classmates because they could study for Micro, Biochem and Pharm without being distracted by Anatomy. The administration made big changes to the curriculum in 2005. Now Anatomy is the only class you take for the first half of the first semester. You don't have to juggle other classes. As a result the ISACers sit on their butt from August to October till Micro, Biochem and Pharm begin.

My advice to you is to leave your TV and Playstation at your parent's house. Medical school classes aren't harder than college science courses, you just have twice as to study. I am ranked 2nd in my class and I can tell you that the key to my success was time management.

Hey, I'm a second year (yoohoo) at Western, and I can tell you that you didn't miss out on much.

Trust me, ISACers might get a better knowledge of anatomy by learning and possibly teaching it, but anatomy is the easiest class you'll see all year...

You, I hope, got to enjoy most of your summer. And since you're in class at the beginning of the year, you'll get to meet more people during class. I think that must have sucked for some of the ISACer's, because they just hung out with their group and didn't really branch out too much...

One and a half more weeks left. Enjoy it.

You are not unique amongst your classmates; there will be dozens more who are in the same boat as you. You are not screwed. Don't do a damn thing to try to prepare for anatomy.

Like others in this thread have echoed, enjoy the last few days you have before school starts.

When you actually start anatomy, I would recommend:
Rohen - Color atlas of anatomy (dead body book)
Netter (duh)
Moore - Clinically oriented anatomy OR Drake - Grey's (I used moore because I already had it)
The UMich video site: http://anatomy.med.umich.edu/courseinfo/video_index.html
The UAMS anatomy tables site: http://anatomy.uams.edu/anatomyhtml/medcharts.html

That's all you need, but don't start with any of that stuff before class starts... FOO!

If you're still concerned with anatomy you can check out Acelands videos. Those videos + atlas of cadavers will probably be invaluable to you.

thank you all for the replies and recommendations. it's comforting to know that there will not be severe repercussions due to my decision. from what everyone has said, this was not as big deal as i had thought. perhaps, this is just part of unreasonable pre-school anxiety -- i have no idea what to expect, except from the western student's testimonies of med school's difficulty as presented in the documentary they show on interview day. it's not comfortable knowing that school will be harder, and having no idea how to deal with this rigor.

I'm one of the crazy people who is taking ISAC this summer. Our last final is this Friday. Don't worry about it. I have never taken any anatomy course before ISAC and I'm doing fine so far (*crosses my finger that I will still be doing fine after Friday's exams). You'll have more time, and more extra points than us. Besides (according to rumor)...the fall semester class have a higher average than the ISACers. If you're still not comforted by this feel free to ask me questions if you'll have any trouble with anatomy in the fall and I'll try and help as much as I can. ^^

thank you all for the replies and recommendations. it's comforting to know that there will not be severe repercussions due to my decision. from what everyone has said, this was not as big deal as i had thought. perhaps, this is just part of unreasonable pre-school anxiety -- i have no idea what to expect, except from the western student's testimonies of med school's difficulty as presented in the documentary they show on interview day. it's not comfortable knowing that school will be harder, and having no idea how to deal with this rigor.

You'll do fine! :)

I am a fourth year at Western and I think you made the right decision. When you take the general course in the fall you'll have 2-3 months to digest anatomy versus 6 weeks in ISAC. It used to be that ISACers had a huge advantage over their classmates because they could study for Micro, Biochem and Pharm without being distracted by Anatomy. The administration made big changes to the curriculum in 2005. Now Anatomy is the only class you take for the first half of the first semester. You don't have to juggle other classes. As a result the ISACers sit on their butt from August to October till Micro, Biochem and Pharm begin.

I definately agree. You won't regret it once you start and you see you're taking the same thing as the ISAC program, but you had an extended summer. Enjoy and don't worry.

You are not unique amongst your classmates; there will be dozens more who are in the same boat as you. You are not screwed. Don't do a damn thing to try to prepare for anatomy.

Like others in this thread have echoed, enjoy the last few days you have before school starts.

When you actually start anatomy, I would recommend:
Rohen - Color atlas of anatomy (dead body book)
Netter (duh)
Moore - Clinically oriented anatomy OR Drake - Grey's (I used moore because I already had it)
The UMich video site: http://anatomy.med.umich.edu/courseinfo/video_index.html
The UAMS anatomy tables site: http://anatomy.uams.edu/anatomyhtml/medcharts.html

That's all you need, but don't start with any of that stuff before class starts... FOO!

are the 5th versus the 6th edition of the color atlas of anatomy really different? or will i be okay with a 5th edition?

I have the 4th edition (from when I was in undergrad dissecting ...class of 2003)....let's be real.....what could have changed???? :laugh:

I am not getting a new one. :rolleyes:

P.S. the links someone posted above are awesome. I like charts and I think those will be really useful!

Thanks!