Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Western, Loma Linda or Nevada?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by oc2004, Apr 18, 2004.

1. oc2004

oc2004 New Member

This is my very first time to post the message. I got quite a lot of helpful inputs from this forum for my interviews. I'd like to thank for all your advices. Anyway, I got accepted from Western, Loma Linda and Nevada. Since they are relatively new schools, I just wonder if anyone here can give me some crucial info of their programs so it can help me to make my decision. I really appreciate it.

2. michelleca4

michelleca4 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Congrats in all of the acceptance. If you want to work in the LA or OC area after graduation I would choose Western because if you intern with a retail company while attending Western, then you'll have seniority when you graduate. If you want small class size and personal contact with faculty, then consider Loma Linda University.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LVPharm

LVPharm SDN Moderator
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    oc2004: Congratulations on your acceptances! I can't speak about the other programs, but if you've got any specific questions you would like answered regarding NVCP, feel free to PM me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. oc2004

oc2004 New Member

Thanks, you guys! Since I'm probably not going to work in LA or OC after graduation, I'm toward of going to Nevada for the moment due to their accerelated and less cost program. However, I do have some specific questions regarding to their progam. LVPharm, can I have your email so I can ask you directly? Thanks in advance.

5. LVPharm

LVPharm SDN Moderator
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Hi oc2004, I sent you a PM. If you're unfamiliar with using private messaging, go to your "User CP" at the top of the screen and pick "List Messages" on the left hand column on the next screen.

6. Caverject

15+ Year Member

LVPharm,

Can you post an explanation of the 90% or higher theory of your school in order to move on to the next block? I'm curious as to how this works

7. LVPharm

LVPharm SDN Moderator
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Sure thing south. It's a little tough to explain, but I'll try. Every two weeks we have an "assessment" (that's what we call exams), almost always on a Friday. We usually take the exam individually in the morning, then we turn them in and then take the same exact exam with your team or group later in the morning. If your group passes that exam with a 95% you get awarded points equivalent to 5% of the total points of the exam. What this means is that if your group passes, you need to have achieved 85% on that individual exam (because of the bonus "group points" awarded to you on the group exam)...if your group didn't pass with a 95%, you'll have to have gotten a 90% to pass the individual exam (no bonus "group points" are awarded...sucks to be you). Results are usually given by the afternoon, at which time we find out if we have to "remediate" that exam, or we get the following Monday off ;). If you don't pass, you come back on Monday and retake the exam (different questions), and this time you don't have "group points" to help you out...it's a strict 90% to pass. If you don't pass this time, you have to take that part of the course the exam covers over the summer for one week (we call it "summer remediation")...that eats into your vacation time. You only have 6 weeks available during the summer for this, and if you didn't have any problems with summer remediation, that's your vacation time. If not, you have to go to school. You only have 6 weeks available, so if you blow more than 6 exams total, you'll be asked to withdraw from the program. We did lose a number of first year students because of that.

Oh, by the way, you don't get "held back" if you earned yourself summer remediation. Assessments are not like "final exams" for blocks. These assessments take place every two weeks regardless of the block being covered at the time. You can have an exam covering part of one block and part of another.

Believe me, it may seem difficult to comprehend, but if you've been through it just once, you get used to it rather quickly. Your pulse starts to quicken the weekend before the assessment, then you get a little more anxious every day up until the day before the assessment. We call it the "vicious cycle", because you repeat this every two weeks like clockwork.