western or touro????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miles

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I was hoping someone could give me some inside information on either of these schools. I am accepted at both and i need the good and bads of each to make a decision. Ive already examined the web sites and looked at rankings, they aren't very helpful. I saw tht miglo and calvin were accepted- what are the biggest draws for Western?
Well, feel free to email me with the scoop
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

I only interviewed at Touro- it seems that the administration is very open to student participation and comments on the curriculum. It would be very exciting to be at a fledgling school and a part of the first few classes of the medical school. The impression that I had was that they really want to make this a first rate school. The surrounding area is also terrific if not a bit distracting- nothing beats SF. I'd say if you don't feel being a proactive student or don't feel comfortable taking the initiative to make the curriculum better, I'd go elsewhere. But give this school 5 or 6 years and it will be phenomenal.

I declined my interview at touro once I found out I got accepted to westernU. Why western? well, its in socal and its a older than touro. Im sure touro will be a great school 5+ years down the line, but as it stands right now, its a new school and new school growing pains. WesternU is a pretty nice school IMO, the catalog pictures really dont do it justice. The surrounding city (pomona) on the other hand, is a complete sh*thole. But what is medical school if not in a crappy neighborhood?
smile.gif

I also have friends that are attending westernU and they seem to really like it. The new arrowhead center/med facility is pretty sweet from what I've heard.

Living in/near SF sounds pretty cool, but probably really REALLY expensive (i could be wrong).

go where ever you "fit" in.

mig

ps: there are a bunch of us here that are going to westernu.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd also opt for Western. It seems like Tuoro is going through serious growing pains and will continue for a few years more. If you want the adventure of being part of the early stages of the growth of Tuoro, go for it. Western is established, well respected in the socal medical community, and seems to offer a quality education in a supportive environment.

Good luck with your decision! I too was offered seats at Western and Touro (among others) and chose Touro in part due to family considerations. The way I see it, quality of education is a personnal thing and everyone is different. For people who do well in a structured, established environment Western is definaltely the way to go. For people who thrive on personnal initiative and are self starters, Touro may be better.

Other differences... class size (about 180 at Western vs. about 125), rotation locations (i.e., How much traveling do you want to do? With Western it could be extensive), quality of professors vs. established curriculum (I have heard there is question as to the quality of some professors at Western however there is a very well established curriculum there. Touro on the other hand may have high quality professors but no established curriculum.) Other differences are weather, culture of surrounding community, fun things to do (do you want to take a ferry into SF on the weekend or sit by the pool in LA), friends and family support, number of hours in class per week (slightly less at Touro), holiday schedule (Touro observes Jewish holidays), on-campus housing (Touro offers on-campus housing with reasonable rates on Mare Island where there are few distractions), etc.

The bottom line is to select a school where you will thrive and do well. There are pros and cons to every school. Feel free to email me if you would like to discuss this further.

I heard Western has a satellite in Las Vegas and Chico. Any truth to this? I have a husband who is pulling down some bank right now at his job, and he could transfer to Vegas (not Western at Pomona), or I could attend Touro or Western(at Chico), they would be close enough to our home and we could visit each other and stay married. I've also heard that Western at Chico is just a Vet and Pharmacy school. No DO.Please set me straight.

The people at western U are great. We have a Pharmacy school, Physical Therapy school, PA, Grad Nursing, and next fall will have a veterinary school. The campus is really growing and compared to Touro is plush ( I found the Touro buildings to be on the revolting side.)
But who knows what's best for you.
P.S. the satellite school(s) are going to be for some of the other programs, not the D.O. program.