Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Western Regional Board

Discussion in 'Dental' started by tinker bell, May 30, 2002.

1. tinker bell

tinker bell 1K Member

Hi!

I will assist a dentist for the upcoming western regional board on june 1, 2, 3. If anyone has any experience (like what should I pay attention to...) any thing will definitely help.
    Please share your experience
    Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Big_Poppa DDS

Big_Poppa DDS Senior Member

I just took the Central Regional exam and had an assistant who was ok but not great.

Just make sure you follow osha standards, because the candidate will get docked points for your mistakes. Do all the clean up and be proficient with the rubber dam, at least in punching the holes.

My assistant was great with cleaning up all the intruments quickly and calmed me down. Although we seemed to have problems getting on the rubber dam quickly that day.

Nevertheless I passed and I recieved no penalties. If you are not experienced do not charge a lot.

4. gryffindor

Dentist

Dentist
    I was a NERB patient (victim, whatever!) for two seniors earlier this month (they each did a class II lesion on me). They each had a different assistant, but one was definitely more on top of the game that the other one. All seniors had an assistant who was an employee of the school, so they were all somewhat trained & competent. The student with the "less attentive" assistant was constantly asking/telling the assistant what he needed next and what he was doing (she is usually an ortho assistant and maybe she hadn't done operative in a while). Like he kept having to ask her for instruments and she just seemed kinda distracted every now and then. The "more attentive" one usually assists with operative on the clinic floor and just seemed to know what was going to happen next. Both of them helped with the rubber dam, triturated amalgam, handed instruments, suctioned, etc. The most important thing I would say they did is make sure that the tray the patient had to carry back to the examiner was in the right order with the correct instruments, paperwork and covering (the napkin covering the tray had to face a certain way and it is generally known that NERB examiners are the stuffiest of the bunch). Make sure you ask the student what s/he expects of you beforehand and it should go fine.

BTW, if I learned anything from this experience as a dental student, it would be to try and find your lesions on first and second year dental students b/c you know they will show up the day of your exam and you probably won't have to pay them. So you bet I will be best friends with the next two incoming classes...

5. Big_Poppa DDS

Big_Poppa DDS Senior Member

Definitly make sure that all the paper work and tray items are on the tray. The candidate should verify this, I had a checklist and made sure everything was in order and neatly.

6. tinker bell

tinker bell 1K Member

Thanks for your info! I really appreciate your help. I don't charge for this. I just do it for fun and to see what is the "real board"
    I went to the orientation today and it doesn't seem that stressful. I will know tomorrow.
    I will let all of you know about it once I got back on june 3.
    Thanks again
    T

7. tinker bell

tinker bell 1K Member

I'm back from my assistant job. This is my first real assisting. There were lots of things that happened at this WRB. And I learned lots and lots of good things there. I'm glad I did it so when it's my turn to take the board, it wouldn't be a big surprise. I'll probably try to do it for 1 more time at least.
    These are funny things went on during the test.
    1. The first day, we had to take impression for the crown. And the lab only wanted cash. So, bring plenty of cash.

2. The second day, we put the crown on in the morning, then went to another room for a quick 15 min exam. When we got back and started the almagam, the light in the high speed drill was not there. Someone stole our fiber optics light bulb while we were gone. And I had to run around to buy a light bulb for $20.

3. Find a good patient who is punctuate and physically strong. Too much work in someone mouth can turn someone nice into a monster. Our patient was really sweet and just fell asleep when we were working so it's great. She really cooperate and we got every thing finished real early.

4. Organization behavior is the key. Spend a few days to prepare instruments before the big day. Then you don't waste time to arrange them on the testing morning.

5. STAY CALM AND FOCUS.

6. People talk like at a flea market at the WRB. The booth next to mine, dentist, patient and assistant all talked in Spanish and they were real loud and the examiner didn't seem to care.
    Some people even sing to their patient.

7. Make sure the lab can deliver the crown at 8am next morning.

Again, the board is truly one of a kind experience and I'm sure that every board is different. Please try to assist for the board that you will have to take to see how it will be for you. I'm now much better mentally prepared, eventhough I'm not even in dental school yet.
    Good luck to every one and thank you for your tips.
    Tink

8. gryffindor

Dentist

Dentist
    Hello tinker bell,

I've heard the WREB makes you do an inlay on a real patient - is that the crown that you had to go to the lab for? What were the procedures the student had to do on the live patients for the WREB, and what did s/he have to do on typodont? I'm curious to know how these regional testing exams differ.

For the NERB, the live patient portion involves a class II amalgam, class III resin, and scaling calculus on a perio case (so you need at least three patients). Typodont excercises include endo on a plastic central incisor (I hear this is easy) and a three unit provisional bridge - you have to cut the preps first (This is the part where there is room for most error).

Anyone know the procedures you have to do for the other exams? (SRTA, CRDTS, state exams)

9. tinker bell

tinker bell 1K Member

Hi Griffin!

The WREB consists of several different parts. And if you can find a patient with all of those criteria, you can use one patient like we did.
    First day morning: An Endo on a model. I was not allowed to come in. The dentist did this by himself.
    First day afternoon: Working on the crown prep for the inlay part, taking impression and send off to a private contract lab.
    Second day morning: Putting inlay in, go to a 15 min exam with a provided patient and some assigned teeth. You have to exam about 5 teeth in a few minutes, mark in the answers for questions (a full mouth x-ray is provided). Look for bone loss(horizontal and vertical).
    Second day afternoon: Doing almagam.
    Third day morning: Do a perio, again this procedure is done on a number of assigned teeth (lower or upper left or right).
    That's all about the WREB. The experience is truly something money can't buy. I think that the most difficult part is the inlay. Everything else is pretty simple.
    T