Western Regional Examination Board (WREB)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished the damn thing this afternoon! Let me share with you about the exam.

What you do:

Live patients: 3 procedures
1) Restorative: 52 points/100
- select 2 out of 3 procedures between Class II Amalgam, Class II Composite, or Gold Onlay
- majority selects two Class IIs (Amalgam & Composite)
- Class II lesions must reach the DEJ (minimum)
2) Perio: 10 points/100
- one quadrant of S/RP
- must have 6 teeth in the quadrant
- 2 out of 6 teeth must be posterior teeth in contact
- must have 8 detectable (radiographic or tactile) surfaces of subgingival calculus
- 6 out of 8 subgingival calc must be in posterior teeth
- must have 2 probing readings with at least true 5 mm or greater pockets

Typodont procedures:
1) Endodontics: 18 points/100
- two mounted teeth: one anterior (single root) and one posterior (multiple roots)
- only need to fill one of the canals in the posterior tooth

Computer Exam: you schedule this exam at your local Pearson Vue testing centers
1) Prosthodontics: 10 points/100
- 50 questions on various prostho questions (3D models)
2) Periodontics: 10 points/100
- 50 questions on one patient case

You need a total of 75 points/100 and at least 55% on every section to pass the exam. If you get below 55% in any of the sections and you have a total score above 75/100, then you only have to retake those sections that you received below 55%. If you receive below a 75, then you must retake the entire exam.

This is a 4-day examination:
Day 1: (half day - afternoon) Orientation
- all your questions will be answered here by the examiners, so be sure to ask
Day 2: (full day 7:30 AM-4:30 PM) clinic day
- schedule your restorative and/or perio patients and/or assigned Endo session in sim lab
Day 3: (full day 7:30 AM-4:30 PM) clinic day
- schedule your restorative and/or perio patients and/or assigned Endo session in sim lab
Day 4: (half day 7:30 AM-11 AM) clinic day
- candidates use this clinic time to do catch up if patients "no-shows" on Day 2 or 3
- most candidates do not use this day at all because they're already finished with everything by Day 3

Cost of the exam alone ranges anywhere from $1400 - $1700 depending on where your testing site is. Testing sites are usually hosted by one of the US dental schools across the country. Additional costs included:

1) Endo typodont: $150 (mandatory)
2) Computer exam fee: $180 (mandatory)
3) Patient costs: I heard as low as $50 per patient to $4000 (patient services) for all three patients for clinical procedures
4) Dental assistant: I heard an average around $100 for the entire exam

So the lowest amount of money you may spend on this exam is around $1700 for everything if you don't pay for patients to as high as over $5000 if you pay for patients through a patient providing service/company.

My Experiences

I decided to take this exam because of the following reasons:
1) WREB is currently recognized by 34 states straight out, the most state recognized dental exam out there
2) According to ADA, between the WREB and the ADEX, 47 states will recognize these two exams through credentials (5 years of working experiences)
3) The states that I may end up in to practice all recognizes the WREB (Minnesota, Illinois, and Arizona)
4) The Board of Dentistry of Louisiana will consider the WREB that will allow me to "moonlight" during my residency. Currently Louisiana has its own board exam which I do not want to take if I don't have to.
5) It's literately the easiest dental board examination out there today considering all the required components of the exam in comparison to other dental board exams.
6) It was offered at my dental school (home field advantage)

Overall I feel that the exam was fair, the environment which I took it in was nice because it was my own dental clinic that I go to everyday. The examiners that we were able to interact with were EXTREMELY friendly and approachable which made the exam more relaxing and less fearful.

I had scheduled the computer exam a week prior so I had already completed the computer exam when I entered my clinical portion of the exam. I thought this exam was also fair. The perio section was easy, questions were on medical history, drug interaction and reaction, probing depth calculations, diagnosis, and identify calculus on radiographs. The prostho section was a bit tougher, the 3D model was fun to play with and hypnotizing. It is all clinical assessment, no numerical memorization or where you can just regurgitate answers. This exam solely tests you on what you know from your clinical training and learning.

For my clinical schedule, I scheduled my two restorative procedures on the first full clinic day (Day 2), both were Class IIs (amalgam and composite). Both of my restorative procedures were on teeth from the same patient. So I had this patient all day from 7:30 AM through 3:30 PM, no lunch, we worked straight through. If you have a great patient like mine who doesn't not mind the long period with her jaw open with a rubber dam on, then great, but some patients will complaint of the long treatment! This day, by far, is the most stressful and physical draining day because of the large amount of points involved in these two procedures plus the stress of the grading process (patient approval, preparartion grade, and finishing grade). This is also the day where I had an assistant, I had a 2nd year dental student assist me. I didn't pay for this patient, she was a patient of mine from my dental school.

On Day 3, I had my assigned Endo session in the sim lab in the morning and I scheduled my perio patient in the afternoon. Both events were without incident. By the end of this day once I completed my perio S/RP, I had completed all the WREB procedures which mean that I was not required to return for clinic Day 4. Again, for my perio patient, I did not pay because she was also my dental school patient. I also finished the day early around 3:30 PM.

"Pink slips" = bad news

I didn't receive any "pink slips" so I feel that I did well on this exam and that I've passed. The official score report and result will be issued within 4 weeks from the end of my exam, so around the first week of May, I should learn my fate.

Some bad things happened to others that I've heard:
1) one dude had his perio patient denied and supposedly this patient was "golden" because it was provided by one of the "patient providing service" which was paid large amount of $$

2) one girl had her patient drive to the exam and told her that he couldn't and wouldn't go through the treatment and quit on her!

3) patients get denied for treatment right from the start because insufficient calculus or not deep enough class lesion

4) patient arriving late delaying treatment causing candidates to run late or must continue the next clinical day

5) multiple candidates received "pink slips" for various reasons

Dude, I think I've written enough.........

Members don't see this ad.

Yah-E said:
For those of you who took the WREB on the weekend of March 30 - April 2 and March 31 - April 3 (University of Minnesota, Temple University, and University of Louisville), have any of you received your results yet?

nope still waiting....i've noticed on the website they post when they mailed the score reports for the previous 5 test dates...but i guess they haven't gotten to our weekend yet... :(

cusp of carabelli said:
nope still waiting....i've noticed on the website they post when they mailed the score reports for the previous 5 test dates...but i guess they haven't gotten to our weekend yet... :(
Man, you guys been waiting for 5 weeks now....

Please let me know as soon as you receive your results as we (NSU) and Indianapolis are groups behind you guys. Thanks.

Yah-E said:
Man, you guys been waiting for 5 weeks now....

Please let me know as soon as you receive your results as we (NSU) and Indianapolis are groups behind you guys. Thanks.

so i was going to my mailbox and i was thinking...hmmm...i wonder what kinda envelope the wreb score will come in when it does come eventually....was it like dental school admissions where big is usually good (since it should contain the certificate that you passed in it like the nerbs) and small bad?....
so i go and open the mailbox and the first letter I see is from the WREB....and it was a freaking small envelope. I was thinking...oh ****. I failed. opened the envelope.......and I PASSED! by the slimmest of margins but whatever...i can now practice dentistry in pretty much any state in the U.S. i'm gonna go drinkin now! hahahahahah

Members don't see this ad :)
cusp of carabelli said:
so i was going to my mailbox and i was thinking...hmmm...i wonder what kinda envelope the wreb score will come in when it does come eventually....was it like dental school admissions where big is usually good (since it should contain the certificate that you passed in it like the nerbs) and small bad?....
so i go and open the mailbox and the first letter I see is from the WREB....and it was a freaking small envelope. I was thinking...oh ****. I failed. opened the envelope.......and I PASSED! by the slimmest of margins but whatever...i can now practice dentistry in pretty much any state in the U.S. i'm gonna go drinkin now! hahahahahah
Sweet! Congrats...so you just got it today? Nice, that means hopefully we'll get it next Friday or Saturday. So, it's a small envelope? Nice.

Yah-E said:
Sweet! Congrats...so you just got it today? Nice, that means hopefully we'll get it next Friday or Saturday. So, it's a small envelope? Nice.
We got ours at the U of MN on Mon.

anamod said:
We got ours at the U of MN on Mon.
Anamod: nice to see you back on SDN, how did you do? What was your class passing rate? I'm hoping we'll (NSU) will get ours next week.

Here's another question, why was the WREB so cheap at University of Minnesota ($1250) where WREB gets as expensive as $1725 at USC? I paid $1575 at NSU, do you think it has to do with the number of participants the WREB allow to take the exam at that particular testing site? Maybe the more participants, the more floor examiners are required to administered the exam?

How many seats were available at Univ. of MN to take the WREB?

Congrats Carabelli! That's awesome...now you can totally relax. I know, I wonder about the HUGE differences in pricing....

Yah-E said:
Anamod: nice to see you back on SDN, how did you do? What was your class passing rate? I'm hoping we'll (NSU) will get ours next week.

Here's another question, why was the WREB so cheap at University of Minnesota ($1250) where WREB gets as expensive as $1725 at USC? I paid $1575 at NSU, do you think it has to do with the number of participants the WREB allow to take the exam at that particular testing site? Maybe the more participants, the more floor examiners are required to administered the exam?

That's because USC is full of greedy bastards. Not only they overcharge their students for tuition, but they also overcharge everybody else who take the exam there (supplies, staff, clinic time, etc.) . There is a set price by the WREB for all schools and the extra amount is added up by those schools to cover "their expanses." So that extra fee in some schools is basically a rip off fee. :thumbdown:

Yah-E said:

I passed with flying colors. I only know of 2 people that did not pass. I think there was 80 people taking it. As far as the price goes, I have no idea as to why the test was much cheaper, but I did not complain.

Hoping to receive our results tomorrow or Saturday! Enough of waiting already! I'm aiming for a 90! :thumbup:

I finished the thing this past weekend and it was the most stressful experience of my life!

No pink slips, so my hopes are high.

However, I do hear of people failing who never received a pink slip. I know this can absolutely happen, but wouldn't they have a clue because something went terribly wrong in endo or something like that?

What do you think has to happen for someone to fail while receiving no pinks?

Members don't see this ad :)
iceborne said:
i'll take that 75 anyday.
Have y'all heard that California require candidates to earn at least a "80" for them to accept the WREB? Is this true?

waiting4scores said:
What do you think has to happen for someone to fail while receiving no pinks?

Sure, those candidates simply did horrible dentistry! Since the final grade is made up of the "middle" score out of the three grading examiners. It's not inconceivable for one to earn a "1", "2", and a "3" for a restorative procedure, in this case, the candidate would get a "2" for the restorative procedure.

Remember, for the WREB, you must earn at least a 55% in ALL sections. One can fail one or multiple sections because they did not meet the 55% mark.

You can fail the Prostho and/or Perio CSW (20 points total), no pink slip in the clinical portion, but still fail the entire exam because you did get at least 75 points total.

Heres what happened to me two weeks ago.
I was doing an MO on #18, patient happened to be my little brother. I had to remove an occlusal composite with the preparation. I submitted it as an MO and was approved as an MO. When he got back in my chair I noticed the previous restoration had a lingual extension and was really gonna end up being an MOL, color match was so good both I and the WREB people missed. My first thought was, man I am screwed. I called over a floor examiner and was informed that it wasnt a problem and we would just submit as a modification, no deductions because the WREB people missed it too. Lucky Me, it doesnt stop there.

I cut my box on the mesial and no problems no need for extensions or modifications. I then proceed to remove the composite, which by no means was originally prepared ideal, it was pretty large. As I remove it, decay not evident on the xray was everywhere on the pulpal floor and under the distal ligual cusp. To make a long story shorter, I ended up leaving affected dentin and doing an indirect pulp cap. I had to remove the entire distal lingual cusp down to the gingiva. Ten modification requests and 4 notes to the examiners later, I placed an MODL amalgam, on the most distal tooth carving my margins subgingivally, rebuilding the distal lingual cusp.

I had a floor examiner at my operatory the entire time, and the head FE went to the grading area to warn them. The good news is I never got a modification denied and no pink slips. It was my last procedure and I had two half days to finish it. I temporized for the last day after the prep, before I filled. It took me 7 hours, good thing it was my brother. My well trained brother also noted that I got mostly 4's from the examiners as they graded me.

Col Sanders said:
Heres what happened to me two weeks ago.
I was doing an MO on #18, patient happened to be my little brother. I had to remove an occlusal composite with the preparation. I submitted it as an MO and was approved as an MO. When he got back in my chair I noticed the previous restoration had a lingual extension and was really gonna end up being an MOL, color match was so good both I and the WREB people missed. My first thought was, man I am screwed. I called over a floor examiner and was informed that it wasnt a problem and we would just submit as a modification, no deductions because the WREB people missed it too. Lucky Me, it doesnt stop there.

I cut my box on the mesial and no problems no need for extensions or modifications. I then proceed to remove the composite, which by no means was originally prepared ideal, it was pretty large. As I remove it, decay not evident on the xray was everywhere on the pulpal floor and under the distal ligual cusp. To make a long story shorter, I ended up leaving affected dentin and doing an indirect pulp cap. I had to remove the entire distal lingual cusp down to the gingiva. Ten modification requests and 4 notes to the examiners later, I placed an MODL amalgam, on the most distal tooth carving my margins subgingivally, rebuilding the distal lingual cusp.

I had a floor examiner at my operatory the entire time, and the head FE went to the grading area to warn them. The good news is I never got a modification denied and no pink slips. It was my last procedure and I had two half days to finish it. I temporized for the last day after the prep, before I filled. It took me 7 hours, good thing it was my brother. My well trained brother also noted that I got mostly 4's from the examiners as they graded me.

Gotta love family members I tell yah. Sitting in a chair for 7 hours and spying for you as well, nice.

Col Sanders said:
...... I placed an MODL amalgam, on the most distal tooth carving my margins subgingivally, rebuilding the distal lingual cusp......

Hi Col,

Where did you had the clamp? How did you manage to do this with a clamp on?
I have have it next week, and I'm pretty nervous about it.

Good luck on your results. :luck:

I have a quick question. Took the first part today. My perio patient was rejected and then I resubmitted. So do i lose 3 points out of the 10 possible? So that means the most i can get is a 7/10 which is failing, right? if so,that sucks

My understanding is that: Yes, you will lose 3 points out of 10 but you only need 55% in each section to pass the exam along with the overall 75 points. So if you have done your Perio good you will fare as follows
Final Score below is after the 3 point deduction

Calculus, %of points, Pts recieved, Final Score, Final %, Pass/Fail
0, 100%, 10, 7, 70%, Pass
1, 95%, 9.5, 6.5, 65%, Pass
2, 85%, 8.5, 5.5, 55%, Pass
3, 75%, 7.5, 4.5, 45%, Fail

As you can see if you have left calculus on 3 or more teeth it would mean a fail in Perio section with the 3 point deduction that you have. It is very difficult to miss calculus on 3 teeth as we all know. Which means, more than likely, you would have passed this section. Just concentrate well on the rest of the sections and do well and you should have no problem passing the exam. Stay cool. Stay Calm and document every thing. Key for success in WREB

Meggs said:
Hi Col,

Where did you had the clamp? How did you manage to do this with a clamp on?
I have have it next week, and I'm pretty nervous about it.

Good luck on your results. :luck:

The WREB only requires that you have a rubber dam on when you submit the preparation or have a floor examiner look for a modification request. The rest of the time you can work without it. I kept the rubber dam on the entire time except when I was cleaning up the margins, and yes it was tricky. I have always found it tricky working on a tooth that has the clamp on it especially on the distal, one thing I do is keep the bur halfway in the handpiece for the extra length. I also will push down on the clamp with my mirror tilting it to the distal. The tofflemire or matrix whatever you use can also be tricky. I was worried that the matrix wouldnt hold on the tooth because of no tooth on the distal lingual, but I was able to push the clamp and matrix subgingivally enough and the matrix held good. I hacked up the gingiva pretty good cleaning margins and from all of the clamp manipulation, however, the graders are conscious that I had to work subgingival and I am sure graded me accordingly. It is truly a very fair process, the only thing is to make sure you communicate with the floor examiners whenever you question anything. I would recommend not working on the most distal tooth in the quadrant, but like me you may not have a choice because of lack of patients.

Finally received my WREB result (no break downs, just an overall score) today. I passed, but I did much poorer than I had anticipated!

I thought I rocked the exam, but didn't do as well as I thought I did.

I only earned 84.21! I wonder where I fcuked up at? Oh well, at least I passed.

Yah-E said:
I only earned 84.21! I wonder where I fcuked up at? Oh well, at least I passed.

Yah-E, you are such a tool sometimes... "I wonder why I didn't get an A?"

kidding, congrats on passing. I now have 4 wks to wait for my scores. But I'll be happy passing with anything. The WREB blows. And it's indicative of nothing, unless you count luck.

On a positive note the FEs, especially the Head FE, were nice though and seemed to appreciate our stress.

DDSSlave said:
Yah-E, you are such a tool sometimes... "I wonder why I didn't get an A?"

What can I say, I was hopeful. Who doesn't want to do better, right? Never accept mediocrity. Regardless, I am now licensed to "drill"! :thumbup:

Yah-E said:
What can I say, I was hopeful. Who doesn't want to do better, right? Never accept mediocrity. Regardless, I am now licensed to "drill"! :thumbup:

somehow 84 doesnt strike me as mediocre.

wooohoooooo. gots the small envelope from wreb today. i passed. hoping for a 75 but i got a much much better score, better than Yah-E. but who cares. i passed.

Congrats to all! :clap:

Honestly, I plan to get the breakdowns of all the sections from my dental school to see how I did and where I f'ed up. I bet you that my Pros scores on the CSW is one of the section that had brought my final scores down. That section alone is 10 points out of 100 possible. I didn't study for the damn prostho part for the CSW and I just winged it!

I know my clinical sections, I did well so I am very curious on which sections brought my final score down!

Who cares, it's finished, blah, blah, blah.....I simply would like to know.

I took wreb last week .My endo was not good.I finished both anterior and posterior at 10:30.But I saw there was void on both, so i decided to redo it.I remove hole thing and condense it.It did not work,it was even worse than the first time i did.Access cavity was question too, i think i removed a little too much tooth structure.
I got a pink slip for rejection.Undertreatment.#12 MO submission got rejected so i had to it MOD, guess what,when i opened the distal there was nothing..Everthing else was fine ...I wonder if i can pass..

I am just wondering, candidates that they passed already, did they really do a great job,I mean did anyone have voids , short canal filling, etc..

i just got my score, 89.63! USC has done very well. I heard 66 out of 68 passed! go trojans!

Thatisn'tme said:
I took wreb last week .My endo was not good.I finished both anterior and posterior at 10:30.But I saw there was void on both, so i decided to redo it.I remove hole thing and condense it.It did not work,it was even worse than the first time i did.Access cavity was question too, i think i removed a little too much tooth structure.
I got a pink slip for rejection.Undertreatment.#12 MO submission got rejected so i had to it MOD, guess what,when i opened the distal there was nothing..Everthing else was fine ...I wonder if i can pass..

Dude, that sucks. Don't totally give up hope, though. You might be fine!

USCtrojan said:
i just got my score, 89.63! USC has done very well. I heard 66 out of 68 passed! go trojans!

did you know you did well? any problems during the exam like pink slips, etc.

Thatisn'tme said:
I am just wondering, candidates that they passed already, did they really do a great job,I mean did anyone have voids , short canal filling, etc..

don't lose hope. i thought i fcuked up with a root fracture on my anterior tooth, the easier of the two. then the premolar i picked had a narrow as hell mesial-distal pulp chamber that i was too afraid to access fully to the floor because of fear of perforating. accessing it took like an hour because i wanted to be really careful and not perf by takin x-rays every few mm. if you looked at it from the top, it looks like this: o--o. two canals with a slit for a chamber. i had no voids but was short of 1 - 1.2 mm from apex on the premolar. the anterior was perfect except for the root fracture.
guess what i got? a 92. a fcuken 92. i thought i failed and told my remorse to the head FE. he told me, that i would make it. guess he was right. i think they took pity on me.

I know I'm probably not the first to notice this, but I'm seeing a pattern on the mailing of the scores. It seems like they mail the scores out on Wed and Thurs. It also appears that they are getting faster as time goes on. Who knows, maybe I'm just hopeful because I'm only 1 1/2 weeks out but it does seem that they are going out faster and tend to be mailed on Wed and Thurs. I know, I'm crazy...

Thanks guys..
By the way it should have been "I removed the WHOLE thing " not HOLE..:))
I was so nervous guys..Yeah I removed the whole thing from that hole..

drhouston said:
did you know you did well? any problems during the exam like pink slips, etc.

how about 8 mm of GP out the apex and a scatter brain patient who argued with FE's and grader's? =) I still did well... dont sweat it yet and hopefully you nailed the other sections...

GatorDMD said:
how about 8 mm of GP out the apex and a scatter brain patient who argued with FE's and grader's? =) I still did well... dont sweat it yet and hopefully you nailed the other sections...

wow, 8 mm past apex. i think i was 1.5-2mm short on my anterior but perfect on my premolar.

Did any of you used Floss&Go during WREBS?
That's the floss the examiners use and I've been trying to find it, but haven't been able to.

How will you describe it or compare it with Oral B Santin Floss or Crest Glide? or any other popular brand? Is it nylon or tape? very waxed or not? thick or thin?
Thanks for your help.

Meggs said:
Did any of you used Floss&Go during WREBS?
That's the floss the examiners use and I've been trying to find it, but haven't been able to.

How will you describe it or compare it with Oral B Santin Floss or Crest Glide? or any other popular brand? Is it nylon or tape? very waxed or not? thick or thin?
Thanks for your help.

whole foods carries it

That's the floss we use at my school, so we had been used to it.

It's not as "smooth" as Glide. This can be good or bad. It snaps through contacts more readily than Glide, I think, but it can also shred a little easier on the composite. So while it will make a contact snap better, it might be a little more prone to show snags should your restoration not be smooth.

Congrats... :thumbup: to all who passed WREB.
have a successfull future ahead :)

I finally received my scores :thumbup: 9 days after they mailed them. I passed, no more Xanax needed :laugh:

orthodontist99 said:
I finally received my scores :thumbup: 9 days after they mailed them. I passed, no more Xanax needed :laugh:

I have to ask again. Did you feel like you passed. Any pink slips or problems?

No pink slips. endo was good, perio good except for some lacerations here and there, my preps were good although too deep, my fillings were below average and i had an open margin with my composite. i felt that I had a good chance of passing but the scores were much higher than I expected. I didnt get detailed scores but overall I feel I got more than I deserved

So either they have stopped posting when they mail results or they haven't mailed any in over a week!!! I just wanna know already ;)

After you send your pt in for perio grading, what'll make them give you a pink slip?
calculus remaining, papilla needing a suture, what?
Thanks

You'd probably get a pink slip for "major tissue trauma". I believe it's a laceration 5 mm +, or something like that. I was really worried b/c I totally felt like I had caused trauma. Apparently, they didn't even notice, or it wasn't a big deal.

Those who took the WREB in. University of Nevada Las Vegas, NV April 27-30, Southern Illinois University Alton, IL April 30 - May 3, University of Texas
San Antonio, TX May 5 - 8, University of Oklahoma Oklahoma City, OK May 5 - 8, have any of you received ur results????
how many weeks do they take? coz Baylor College of Dentistry
Dallas, TX, they received there results in less then 3 weeks :confused:
If any one knows.. plz post ur reply .
thanks