Western State Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La Fiera

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering moving to a different state to give me more options for state school residency. (Most likely Oregon, Washington, Utah, or Nevada) Can anyone tell me how it works and what states are involved? I know that if you are a resident of Montana or Idaho you are considered "in-state" throught the WICHE program to a few other states. Also, are you really considered in-state, (tuition etc.) and are your chances of being accepted the same as those who actually live in the state of the medical school that you are applying to? Any information or contacts would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

WICHE only works retroactively. You ahve to live in Wyoming, Idaho, Montana (maybe some other state) and this entitles you to residency in Oregon and Washington. If you live in OR or WA you are only considered a resident of that state and get nothing from the other. As a WICHE student you are considered in state for the purposes of application and tuition.

As for residency, you have to live in the state for at least one year without being in school. Also you should switch your drivers liscence, voters registration, car title etc. to make your case even stronger. If you are doing this for next years app. cycle you need to move soon so you will be a resident by the time you fill out AMCAS.