Western Students: 3rd Year Clinical Livestock Course Experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abernathyvt

Reaction score
Western has been at the top of my list as I’ve been researching various veterinary programs. One question I’d like current or previous student input on is regarding the 3rd year clinical livestock courses, particularly in regards to swine and beef cattle. Specifically, what exact procedures do you recall getting to witness and/or assisting with (e.g., farm castrations, displaced abomasum/bloat, prolapse repair, slaughter procedures, etc…)? What species did you work with the most, the least?

I’m trying to find out how in-depth and varied these experiences are, from individual student perspectives. I’m not looking for hypothetical answers or comparisons to other DVM programs, just first hand experience at Western in this specific area. I’ve spoken with the program previously as well, so I’ve heard their summary in regards to what they expect from the experience. I'm just wanting to hear from students now that can say they’ve been there, done that, this is what it was like, this is what I seen and/or helped with.

Members don't see this ad.