Western U COMP NW vs Touro Nevada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WAnative

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looked for similar threads didn't quite find what I wanted, I'm already leaning towards one but just wanted any insight in comparing these two programs which I was accepted to

Thanks a bunch !

Members don't see this ad.

Both are schools that give DO. Which location u like best? Go to dat 1.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Both are perfectly fine schools that will give you a chance to match anywhere if you work hard. Location, finances obviously are a personal matter for you. I think Touro NV has some pretty impressive residency programs at their hospital, but again either school is solid in that regard. Congratulations!

Reactions: 1 user
thanks! yeah im excited they are more or less same price so does seem location and program specifics are what I am weighing out here

already had to pay tht 2k deposit at Touro tho :/

I had this dilemma when I was applying last year and ultimately I chose Western. All I have to say is I made the right choice. I really do love it here. I'll give you a little bit of my thought process when I was trying to choose:

Touro NV
Pros:
On the west coast (near home - AZ)
Decent rotations
Cumulative board style exams
at the end of each semester (which can be a con for some people but I just see it as a way to practice)
Long tests for each class (again could be a con but I really thing building resilience is a key part of med school)
Location - who doesn't want to be in Vegas? and the mountains are nearby for hiking

Cons:
The building - windowless costco building aka study with no windows?
Strange feel of the area - near the highway, a dealership, and a bunch of suburbs
Newer program which goes for the touro schools in general
class size of 135

Western: I am probably biased
Pros:
West coast
(near home - AZ)
Great rotations in CA especially if you want a residency in CA
Have cumulative exams at the end of each semester
Great reputation - everyone in CA knows of it
To me, the curriculum is really set up in a way to help you succeed
- systems based
- give you many board materials
- the doctoring class already makes me feel comfortable taking a full history and physical
- IPE - interprofessional education
- ****There was a post from 2012 complaining about the curriculum, but I truly see no issues with it now. I truly feel like I will be prepared for boards and rotations when they come around.****
Location - close enough to go to the mountains to ski or to the beach to swim
- Campus is cohesive and beautiful. I definitely like studying on campus.
- Claremont and Chino (both less than 10 min drive away) also have nice areas to study
Grades: Fail, Pass, Honors
I love all of the faculty I have had thus far. I truly cannot complain.
4 hours (sometimes less) of OMM per week which I have heard is minimal compared to some school

Cons:
Location: campus is nice but a 1 mile diameter around it isn't.
HOWEVER campus is safe with security 24/7
CA cost of living (Gas, housing is more expensive than NV)
class size of 220

Feel free to message me if you have any further question! Also ask a Touro student how they like it.

They're accepted to the NW not the western one in LA

True this is for COMP NW but thats okay i greatly appreciate the input! Also might get into COMP so we shall see! Im leaning towards COMP NW being from WA

True this is for COMP NW but thats okay i greatly appreciate the input! Also might get into COMP so we shall see! Im leaning towards COMP NW being from WA

Go with COMP NW since you're from Washington. You'll be closer to home and might be able to betwork for a residency up there in the NW

Oh my bad haha I was probably way too excited seeing this post to see the NW part.

In a very biased manor, COMP NW > Touro NV. Why? Residencies of course. Compare the GME programs at the hospital near COMP NW vs. Touro NV.

COMP NW: https://www.samhealth.org/careers-education/graduate-medical-education/our-programs

Touro NV: https://www.valleyhospital.net/careers/graduate-medical-education

Loll again very biased way of looking at it; basically comparing two schools based on their closest affiliate teaching hospital rather than the schools themselves.

wow yeah they sure do offer a lot of programs!

wow yeah they sure do offer a lot of programs!

I mean for the record, anyone can apply to any residency program. BUT, when you have the opportunity to do core rotations at these hospitals, indirectly your chances do go up for doing residencies there if you choose to.