Western U/COMP or NYCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Junella

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Well, so far I have narrowed it down to these two schools--Western U/COMP or NYCOM.

What would you choose

Members don't see this ad.

NYCOM is a mere 10 minutes from my house and they are affiliated with some excellent hospitals in NYC, which is good. but it's campus is isolated from the rest of NYIT and the infrastructure is a bit small, which was a turn off (i knew about NYCOM for a long time because i worked as a summer camp counselor at NYIT and took a tour of NYCOM). i also believe that i would have a miserable time living at home with my parents and going to med school...very stressful. i actually declined an interview offer from NYCOM right off the bat.

the main reason why i'm going to COMP is because it was my first and best interview. the students were very open and willing to share information, they built a brand new library, they have a computer networking system in the lecture halls, and they are a part of a large university that include nursing, pt, vet., and pharm. students. i was attracted to the learning atmostphere and the diversity, etc.

personally, i was looking to study outside of the northeast region, to experience a lifestyle that is not as cut-throat...but i will always love new york. i was also accepted to PCOM and others, but i felt that COMP was that much better.

good luck on your desicion!
~jay
COMP '05

The reason I choose COMP:

4 years without In-N-Out Burgers and El Pollo Loco Chicken is more than I can handle.

Members don't see this ad :)
TNT,
In response to your post...I was in L.A. twice to go to COMP's Open House and to interview....and the 1st time I was there...I had In and Out Burger...Making fries in the sink...AWESOME.
When I went there for my interview...I stayed in Clairemont...and funny enough I went to Pollo Loco...the burritos Kicked ASS!!!!!
I can't wait to get out there...

Originally posted by yosh:
TNT,
In response to your post...I was in L.A. twice to go to COMP's Open House and to interview....and the 1st time I was there...I had In and Out Burger...Making fries in the sink...AWESOME.
When I went there for my interview...I stayed in Clairemont...and funny enough I went to Pollo Loco...the burritos Kicked ASS!!!!!
I can't wait to get out there...

Yosh,

Imagine this:
During group studying during exams, I make a food run for in-n-out or el pollo loco and we all munch on food while we're studying. Sounds good to me.

I am PSYCHED....I was a little nervous wondering what my future clasmates will be like...but after reading your post...

I think I will be fine...

By the way..TNT's are my Favorite beverage..Way to go!!!!

E-mail me...so we can chat some more...

See you in July....

hey u guys...i'm very happy to be attending comp as well. and like yosh said, reading posts like these makes me even happier
biggrin.gif
nothin like making food runs while studying for tests...see you guys in the fall!

pritbir

I was looking for at least one positive response about NYCOM and can't figure out why nobody spoke up about our wonderful med school!!! Anyway, I am a first year NYCOM student and am VERY satisfied with my decision to go here. I don't know anything about COMP however. The real reason why you will be going to med school is to study and get a solid career out of there and NYCOM has a very strong curriculum. And yes it is affiliated with several good opportunites. The professors are very helpful and so are the students. If you have any specific questions about NYCOM feel free to ask here.
However, I would warn you against NYCOM if you are going to be coming here as a unmarried single person with no close friends to comfort you. If you are going to come to NYCOM, make sure you get into a relationship ...get a boyfriend/girlfriend ....you will really need a relationship for emotional support here because most of the students here are either married, engaged, or in relationships and are more involved with their significant others. Everybody comes to the school solely for the purpose of studying. There is no social life hre. Yes, NYCOM does give you the best education but you will be emotionally miserable if you don't get yourself a boyfriend/girlfriend/significant other for emotional support.
Good Luck.

I know this might sound silly, but I have to ask: If you are happy at NYCOM than why is your screen name "DepressedNYCOMStudent"?

smile.gif

------------------
The grass isn't greener on the other side --- it's just different grass

Oh...I guess you missed my earlier posts...My first post when I started writing on this forum after registering was about my depression at NYCOM due to the sad lonliness due to poor social life that I feel over here. Thats why I called myself Depressed NYCOM student...scroll down...you might still find my first post. However, I am okay now. Yea, I would like to change my name to something else and I don't think that I can do anything about that now.

[This message has been edited by DepressedNYCOMstudent (edited 01-16-2001).]

Free PROZAC available at NYCOM!!

Come and get it!!!

Roses are Red...
Violets are Blue..
I am psychoschizophrenic...
And so am I!

I don't mean to be bad...but those voices...they tell me to do..these things...BAD THINGS!!

Yosh,
You are a wild man! Lookin forward to meetin ya (and all you other incoming COMP folk) in the Fall!

Yosh,

You have nothing to fear. Once you hit California and start school, you will see that we Californians are very laid back and friendly. We welcome all outsiders.

TNT,

Do we really? I thought outsiders thought we're too "Hollywoodish" for them.

Anyways, I look forward to corrupting all you guys once you hit the west shore this summer.

Right now I'm enjoying myself to some nice warm 65~75 degree winter Cali weather and hittin' it up on the slopes snowboarding.

Umm...so how's NY John?