Western U Dental or USC Dental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkkings13

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would you guys choose and why? Have not received an acceptance from USC, but still would like to hear some feedback. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've volunteered at a Residency clinic for a while and I assisted a graduate from USC and she told me she didn't like it. I remember her telling me sometimes she wishes she went to a different dental school. (just poor things about their programs)

@darkkings13 - If you don't mine, what are your stats? I'd like to know what I need to do to get into Western U. It's my #1 when I apply in a couple years. I'd really want to stay in CA, close to my family, as they are a huge piece of my sanity. Lol.

Reactions: 1 users
@darkkings13 - If you don't mine, what are your stats? I'd like to know what I need to do to get into Western U. It's my #1 when I apply in a couple years. I'd really want to stay in CA, close to my family, as they are a huge piece of my sanity. Lol.

I have a 3.4 GPA, 3.27 science with 19AA, 20TS, 20 PAT, and 17c.

I've volunteered at a Residency clinic for a while and I assisted a graduate from USC and she told me she didn't like it. I remember her telling me sometimes she wishes she went to a different dental school. (just poor things about their programs)
Did she mention any specifics on what poor things they had?

I choose Western because it was closer to my family, smaller class size and the general atmosphere. All the dental students generally seemed really happy to be there and I liked how they interacted with the professors. Two girls who visited USC said they weren't too happy with what they experienced in the interview. They said the bigger class sizes made for a lot of cliques and not as much teamwork. Apparently they have about 10-12 students you work with throughout the same 4 years and it's hard if you happen to not like someone. Also, the expense but they say they turn out the best dentists in the country. I don't doubt that but I also don't know what they're basing it on.
Things I would factor: Family, support system, learning methods, location, and expenses.

Reactions: 1 user
i interviewed at both. both are great schools...western is just less expensive. interesting fact though: usc was on the verge of getting shut down like 10 years ago before someone pumped a lot of money into the school

and side note: usc is not the best in the country clinically.

Did she mention any specifics on what poor things they had?
Sorry bro, I forgot. I just remember she wasn't too well when working with patients. Like when I was assisting her, there were procedures that I didn't agree on doing and i thought there were easier or other ways we could have approached the problems. (and so did the Residency Director) I forgot what the problems were about USC cause I wasn't planning on applying there. my bad. haha

Go to WesternU, I went to undergrad in SoCal so I've been to both several times for tours. Also, I had a mock interview at WesternU and a real interview at USC. The general consensus in the area is that USC is not worth it for the experience that you get. And their biggest selling point is becoming part of the "well-networked" USC family, which I think is a joke. You will get more experience at Western U considering they have less specialty programs consuming all the patients. USC has like 5783287659782 specialty programs. Also, from my interview at USC, the faculty seem like real jerks. They are so full of themselves, it makes me want to vomit just thinking about them. They are definitely not the best dental school, they just have wayyyyy too much pride.

WesternU all the way

Last edited:
Go to WesternU, I went to undergrad in SoCal so I've been to both several times for tours. Also, I had a mock interview at WesternU and a real interview at USC. The general consensus in the area is that USC is not worth it for the experience that you get. And their biggest selling point is becoming part of the "well-networked" USC family, which I think is a joke. You will get more experience at Western U considering they have less specialty programs consuming all the patients. USC has like 5783287659782 specialty programs. Also, from my interview at USC, the faculty seem like real jerks. They are so full of themselves, it makes me want to vomit just thinking about them. They are definitely not the best dental school, they just have wayyyyy too much pride.

WesternU all the way
One thing I'll agree was that resident really thought she was "hot ****" for graduating from USC Dental.

The problem based learning at USC wouldn't work for me, so I'd chose western. That's just me.

The problem based learning at USC wouldn't work for me, so I'd chose western. That's just me.
Could you explain what problem bases learning? And how USC applies it to their program?

It's when the curriculum is based on small group learning.. Almost like case studies. You work in small groups on learning assignments and have to do the research and learning for the problem on your own. When I visited two years ago an admissions person told me there are no lectures. Maybe this has changed? But it's pretty much independent studying and small group learning, for everything.

As far as those girls told me, it was still no lectures at USC, solely case studies.

It's when the curriculum is based on small group learning.. Almost like case studies. You work in small groups on learning assignments and have to do the research and learning for the problem on your own. When I visited two years ago an admissions person told me there are no lectures. Maybe this has changed? But it's pretty much independent studying and small group learning, for everything.
As far as those girls told me, it was still no lectures at USC, solely case studies.
They have actual lectures for everything dental related: dental anatomy/morphology, restorative (amalgam, composite, direct, indirect, CAD/CAM), perio, pedo, ortho, endo, pros, and treatment planning. There are no lectures for the biomedical sciences which are taught through PBL case sessions which gives everyone significantly more free time off rather than sitting in lectures all day. If you are aiming for oral surgery then your CBSE preparation will definitely be lacking and you should probably attend elsewhere. Otherwise the first time NBDE Part 1 board passing rate for the class of 2016 was 96% so most people are passing regardless of PBL.

nice try, USC waitlister

try d2 at nyu......

i interviewed at both schools. pbl sucks in my opinion, so i'd choose western>usc. apparently western is starting to gain some credibility. they're snatchin up the good usc faculty members

got a better vibe from the school back when i interviewed. usc seemed kind of 'whatever' to me. the whole concept of being involved with running your own student clinic seemed appealing. idk..i just got the vibe that they just cared more at western.

part of me regrets not going to western to be honest..