Western U - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesLMT

Accidentally Accepted
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New Year, New Thread!!! Discuss Away!!!

Here is the info from the last two years, there are many questions asked and answered there. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=821838

Also, the pizza night is very informal and good chance to answer your questions so you should definitely be there! :) We want to make sure that you have full disclosure of everything our school has to offer and welcome you to this application year!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey all - COMP NW is my first choice and I'm excited to be applying this year. Hoping my thoroughly average stats will be enough!

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too! Woo! On AACOMAS I applied to both campuses, but is that necessary? I'm assuming you have one interview and one secondary for both right?

Hey all - COMP NW is my first choice and I'm excited to be applying this year. Hoping my thoroughly average stats will be enough!

This is exactly where I'm at. Very average, I think, but Lebanon is my first choice! Good luck to us all.

P.S.
Anyone have any info on the secondary prompt for western?

Just waiting on my MCATs to press "apply"

You don't have to wait for MCAT results to post before you can submit your application. AACOMAS will update you application once they get your score. Just double check the instructions on the AACOMAS website. I applied last year, and it took about 6 weeks just for AACOMAS to go through everything before they even submitted to the schools, so may as well start the review of your file:)

Me too! Woo! On AACOMAS I applied to both campuses, but is that necessary? I'm assuming you have one interview and one secondary for both right?

I'm not sure about 1 vs. 2 interviews, but you do submit two secondaries. However, your application will only be under review at one campus at a time, starting with your first choice campus. For example, if your first choice campus were to reject you then the other campus would take a look at you application. But, if you were to be waitlist, and accepted the position on the waitlist, then the other campus won't consider your application. This happen to me last year, so just be aware.

I'm not sure about 1 vs. 2 interviews, but you do submit two secondaries. However, your application will only be under review at one campus at a time, starting with your first choice campus. For example, if your first choice campus were to reject you then the other campus would take a look at you application. But, if you were to be waitlist, and accepted the position on the waitlist, then the other campus won't consider your application. This happen to me last year, so just be aware.

I know what happened last year, and I am assuming that this year is the same.

Lebanon and Pamona are considered ONE school. Only apply to one, only do one secondary and CHOOSE which campus you want to attend. Whichever campus you choose in your secondary will be the only campus that receives your secondary. The two campuses have two different ad-coms but the students are one class.

dsoz

I highly suggest going to an OPSO event if you are in the area. There's one being hosted this Tuesday (June 12) in Lebanon and I've heard they are doing mock interviews. It's a good chance to practice this skill before hitting the interview trail, and also a good chance to scope out the school and talk to the professors. Trust me, they remember students who attend and this at times can be favorable.

You don't have to wait for MCAT results to post before you can submit your application. AACOMAS will update you application once they get your score. Just double check the instructions on the AACOMAS website. I applied last year, and it took about 6 weeks just for AACOMAS to go through everything before they even submitted to the schools, so may as well start the review of your file:)

Thanks for the heads up but honestly I am too chicken. I tested May 19th so it is only about 9 more days away, then I can apply saying "re-take planned" if necessary. I just like to know where I stand.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know what happened last year, and I am assuming that this year is the same.

Lebanon and Pamona are considered ONE school. Only apply to one, only do one secondary and CHOOSE which campus you want to attend. Whichever campus you choose in your secondary will be the only campus that receives your secondary. The two campuses have two different ad-coms but the students are one class.

dsoz

So when submitting the AACOMAS application, do I only have to choose one school? I submitted to both, was that a waste of $34?

edit* Nevermind, I just read their FAQ, and it states you have to apply to both campuses.

Last edited:
So when submitting the AACOMAS application, do I only have to choose one school? I submitted to both, was that a waste of $34?

edit* Nevermind, I just read their FAQ, and it states you have to apply to both campuses.

Last year I was talking with a gal at one of the OPSO meetings that applied to both, and only ever heard back from the Pomona campus. She was wondering why she never was contacted by the Lebanon campus. The admissions counselor told her that Lebanon did not even have access to her application because Pomona had it tied up. Don't waste any more money by trying to apply to both campuses. Choose one and give it your all!

I visited both campuses and will be only applying to Lebanon. But I am from Oregon, and cost of living in SoCal is EXPENSIVE. Besides, I felt like I was going to die on the freeway in between Anaheim and Pomona.

I strongly mirror LawlasaurusRex in that if you are in Oregon, go to an OPSO event at either Lebanon or in Portland. Getting to meet Dr. Pham (one of the profs at Lebanon campus) and the other DOs that show up is good for exposure.

Good luck to all this cycle. May all your medical dreams come true.
dsoz

Are both campuses equally competitive? I would assume the Lebanon campus is less competitive only because more applicants would want to live in Southern Cali (but this could be ignorant on my part)? Thoughts anyone?

UOTE=dsoz;12637173]Last year I was talking with a gal at one of the OPSO meetings that applied to both, and only ever heard back from the Pomona campus. She was wondering why she never was contacted by the Lebanon campus. The admissions counselor told her that Lebanon did not even have access to her application because Pomona had it tied up. Don't waste any more money by trying to apply to both campuses. Choose one and give it your all!

I visited both campuses and will be only applying to Lebanon. But I am from Oregon, and cost of living in SoCal is EXPENSIVE. Besides, I felt like I was going to die on the freeway in between Anaheim and Pomona.

I strongly mirror LawlasaurusRex in that if you are in Oregon, go to an OPSO event at either Lebanon or in Portland. Getting to meet Dr. Pham (one of the profs at Lebanon campus) and the other DOs that show up is good for exposure.

Good luck to all this cycle. May all your medical dreams come true.
dsoz[/QUOTE]

Are both campuses equally competitive? I would assume the Lebanon campus is less competitive only because more applicants would want to live in Southern Cali (but this could be ignorant on my part)? Thoughts anyone?

Pomona has about 200 seats and Lebanon has about 100 seats (+ or - 10%).

According to the admissions counselor (Jeannie Davis) that was speaking at the OPSO meeting a couple of months ago, the incoming class had something like a 28-29 MCAT and a 3.3 or 3.4 GPA. They have no problem filling seats, and have a wait-list a mile long. Go read the thread like this from the last cycle to see the type of students getting in. Now take into consideration that some of those students have decided to go to other schools, and those averages could possibly change a bit.

IMO, they are high stats for a DO school, but lower than average stats compared to OHSU.

I don't know about the WANTING to live in SoCal. There are many people (myself included) that don't like the LA feel. I am an Oregonian born and raised. I like the fact that I can leave the COMP-NW building and drive for 5 minutes and am in the country. Farms, cows, horses and chickens included. But I can drive for 30 minutes and be in a little bit of culture (Corvallis, Eugene or Albany), or 70 to 90 minutes to Salem or Portland for as much big-city activity as I can stand.

dsoz

According to the admissions counselor (Jeannie Davis) that was speaking at the OPSO meeting a couple of months ago, the incoming class had something like a 28-29 MCAT and a 3.3 or 3.4 GPA. They have no problem filling seats, and have a wait-list a mile long. Go read the thread like this from the last cycle to see the type of students getting in. Now take into consideration that some of those students have decided to go to other schools, and those averages could possibly change a bit.

IMO, they are high stats for a DO school, but lower than average stats compared to OHSU.

I don't know about the WANTING to live in SoCal. There are many people (myself included) that don't like the LA feel. I am an Oregonian born and raised. I like the fact that I can leave the COMP-NW building and drive for 5 minutes and am in the country. Farms, cows, horses and chickens included. But I can drive for 30 minutes and be in a little bit of culture (Corvallis, Eugene or Albany), or 70 to 90 minutes to Salem or Portland for as much big-city activity as I can stand.

dsoz

My wife is from the Portland area and I am originally from northern Michigan so the country and green in Lebanon sounds perfect. That and western is a good school anyway. COMP-NW is my top choice, hopefully I can get in!

dsoz

I agree. I was born in So. Cal. and have been back to visit a couple of times but now it is only a birth, death, or wedding that will get me to go back...

Message to current COMP-NW students:

Sorry, I know this is the wrong place to post this, but my classmate and I have exhausted other options and I knew that this would be a place to get the attention of one or more current COMP-NW students.

OHSU and COMP-NW are the only medical schools in Oregon. There is significant overlap in interests among the students who attend these two schools. This includes heavy interest in rural and primary-care medicine, but also includes the full scope of specialty care as well. My classmate and I, both students at OHSU, were also applicants to COMP-NW and feel a significant connection to your school. Graduates of both schools will be colleagues in Oregon for decades to come, and we take that fact very seriously.

With all these things in mind, we would like to strengthen bonds between your campus and ours.

We have tried pursuing this through more "official channels," but have had no luck. We don't have anything specific in mind at the present time, but we would be open to networking, educational, community service, or purely social activities that can bring our campuses together.

If you'd like to work with us on this, please send me a private message via SDN.

Thank you!

P.S. - really please send me a private message because then I'll see it on my e-mail! It's not the privacy that I care about, it's the automatic notification :)

My first choice too! Have you been going to the OPSO events?

Hey, more people are in here since I last checked, cool! I live too far away, so I haven't made it to any OPSO events yet, but I will be living in Corvallis for the summer so hopefully I get to attend at least one. Originally from Norcal, but have lived in Oregon for the past 4 years going to college and I would really like to stay.

Hey, more people are in here since I last checked, cool! I live too far away, so I haven't made it to any OPSO events yet, but I will be living in Corvallis for the summer so hopefully I get to attend at least one. Originally from Norcal, but have lived in Oregon for the past 4 years going to college and I would really like to stay.

You just missed the one for June in Lebanon. It was 6/12. There will be a similar event in Portland on 6/28 (usually they are the same week, but there was a schedule conflict). Topic is mock interviews.

The meeting for July are on the 10th (Lebanon) and 12th (Portland). Topic is Med school curriculum.

Hope you can make it. Go to OPSo_Org and click on the "premed students" tab.

dsoz

dsoz

Does this mean you have a better chance of getting admitted into the Pomona Campus versus the Lebanon one?

I'm a little torn between both campuses. I live in Washington, so it would be nice to not have to relocate so far, but I'm from Southern California, and can appreciate being much closer to family again.

With Lebanon being in such a small area, what is the situation with their clinical rotations during the 3rd and 4th years? Pomona has this long list of hospitals, but I don't see one for Lebanon.

With Lebanon being in such a small area, what is the situation with their clinical rotations during the 3rd and 4th years? Pomona has this long list of hospitals, but I don't see one for Lebanon.

COMP has had a NW-track for many years. The students would do year one and two in Pomona, then year three and four in Oregon/Washington. They have several rotation sites already set up. As the first class that started in Lebanon (starting second year in the fall) gets into third year, they expect to increase the number of rotations significantly to hold all the new MS3s.

I know that there are some rotation sites in Portland, Eugene, Corvallis, Lebanon. There are probably some in Salem. I think they also have a few in Bend and at the coast somewhere. I think I remember some up in Washington too.

dsoz

COMP has had a NW-track for many years. The students would do year one and two in Pomona, then year three and four in Oregon/Washington.

dsoz

So regardless of whether you apply to Lebanon or Pomona, your first two years will be spent in Pomona? That sounds like something I would enjoy doing. Maybe I will pick Lebanon as my location of choice.

Thanks for the info.

So regardless of whether you apply to Lebanon or Pomona, your first two years will be spent in Pomona? That sounds like something I would enjoy doing. Maybe I will pick Lebanon as my location of choice.

Thanks for the info.

No that is not correct. I think you misunderstood dsoz who was saying that Western DID to have a group that did their rotations in Oregon. They now have a Lebanon campus where you will attend school for your first 2 years. Rotations will then also be completed according to what is offered by the Lebanon campus.

No that is not correct. I think you misunderstood dsoz who was saying that Western DID to have a group that did their rotations in Oregon. They now have a Lebanon campus where you will attend school for your first 2 years. Rotations will then also be completed according to what is offered by the Lebanon campus.

Hey Abolt18, it's MeesterE from instagram. Fancy meeting you here.

That bites. I would have loved to spent some time in Pomona and get the best of both worlds. Time to make a decision.

Hey Abolt18, it's MeesterE from instagram. Fancy meeting you here.

That bites. I would have loved to spent some time in Pomona and get the best of both worlds. Time to make a decision.

Ha! That's great! Hope apps are going well! I imagine it's safe to assume you've submit all your apps? It's not really time to make a decision, not until after interviews!

Ha! That's great! Hope apps are going well! I imagine it's safe to assume you've submit all your apps? It's not really time to make a decision, not until after interviews!

Yeah everything is submitted. I'm still waiting to get verified through AMCAS though. Are you applying to Western? Which campus?

Yeah everything is submitted. I'm still waiting to get verified through AMCAS though. Are you applying to Western? Which campus?

Don't you mean AACOMAS?

AMCAS is for MD, COMP is a DO school. :)

dsoz

Don't you mean AACOMAS?

AMCAS is for MD, COMP is a DO school. :)

dsoz

If I'm not mistaken, I believe he applied to both MD and DO and so he's got AACOMAS verified, but not AMCAS...

I was thinking about applying here. I love the NW and Lebanon is 8 hours from each of my parents (one in Idaho one in California). I read the census info and I guess there are a few black people according to that. I have an interracial family and we have gotten some looks in various places. Doesn't bother me as a passer through but I wouldn't like to live with that feeling.

I was thinking about applying here. I love the NW and Lebanon is 8 hours from each of my parents (one in Idaho one in California). I read the census info and I guess there are a few black people according to that. I have an interracial family and we have gotten some looks in various places. Doesn't bother me as a passer through but I wouldn't like to live with that feeling.

For the record, I am from a more urban area. Lebanon is more of a rural area.

In Oregon, there is a slight difference between urban/rural views. Urban tends to be more liberal. Rural tends to be more conservative. Urban tends to be less discriminatory, rural tends to discriminate slightly more.

From my perspective, race/color is not an issue. I think that many of the people that I associate with also feel the same way.

I also think that academic situations may be different than the community situations. The med school in Lebanon is new, so it may take the community a little while to get used to the influx of diversity that will be parading through their little town.

I hope I am wrong about the town. From what I heard, Lebanon has been nothing but open and giving to the new school and students. It gives me hope that Oregonians are opening up to diversity a little more in the rural areas.

Good luck with your decision.

dsoz

We now have an students exchange program between the Lebanon and Pomona campus. I believe there is a Fall/Spring option and lasts 1 week long. You are required to host someone from the other campus if you chose to participate. School pays for airfare =)

We now have an students exchange program between the Lebanon and Pomona campus. I believe there is a Fall/Spring option and lasts 1 week long. You are required to host someone from the other campus if you chose to participate. School pays for airfare =)

That sounds like a great opportunity...I would try that

That's pretty cool. How do you get set up with that exactly? Is it just organized through the school?

Thanks for the heads up but honestly I am too chicken. I tested May 19th so it is only about 9 more days away, then I can apply saying "re-take planned" if necessary. I just like to know where I stand.

Scores in today. Right on average...application submitted.

That's pretty cool. How do you get set up with that exactly? Is it just organized through the school?

It's a school organized affair. The school selects a 2 week block when classes are not super intense. 1st week, ~5 Lebanon students fly down to Cali and stay with Pomona students who will in turn fly up the following week. You take all your exams down there, go to small groups and such. The Pomona class even set up a post-exam beach party where our students attended. 2nd week the Pomona hosts in turn fly up and stay with the Lebanon students they hosted. When they did the pilot program a few weeks ago, the students came up with activities throughout the week to entertain the exchange students. School finds someone to host you and foots the plane ticket. It was a pretty neat idea and from what I've heard, they hope to keep it going. Western is trying very hard to help the two classes bond.

Hi everyone! I applied to Western Pomona! I'm just waiting for my MCAT scores. I took it on June 21st. AHHH!!!

I grew up in southern California but had to move to the east coast because my husband's job transferred to Washington DC. I finished my undergrad at Maryland but I would really love to go back home. LA life isn't for everyone but there's no place like home! I miss it so much.

Nice to meet you all!

Well I was in the area (2 hours away) so I took a tour of northwest-comp. pretty area, small town, small campus. I liked it though.

Looks like Lawlsaurusrex is holding it down for the second years but there should be more on here throughout the application year. Oh, and dsoz I shot you a private message. Good luck applying guys!

EDIT: Oh and shameless plug for the pizza night, hope to see all of you guys there! :)

Last edited:
Got the secondary invite a little bit ago...

kind of confused. If I already filled out the pomona one, do I need to do this as well? (probably so) And if so, do I use the same user name and password that I set up for pomona, or create a new one?

Thanks if anyone knows :thumbup:

Got the secondary invite a little bit ago...

kind of confused. If I already filled out the pomona one, do I need to do this as well? (probably so) And if so, do I use the same user name and password that I set up for pomona, or create a new one?

Thanks if anyone knows :thumbup:

I'm confused about this too! When I spoke to an admissions counselor on the phone at Pomona, she told me that after my file was reviewed and in the case I was NOT offered an interview at Pomona, I would have to call and say that I was interested in applying at Lebanon ...It really didn't make sense to me at the time and it certainly doesn't anymore now that I got this secondary from Lebanon AFTER submitting the Pomona secondary. I don't want to call again...I'm going to email this time.

Any help from the forum would be greatly appreciated!

I emailed them and will post when I get a response.

As far as I'm concerned, taking what has been discussed in depth before, you only fill out one secondary. The fact you got a secondary from both campuses is probably an automated process?

I'm confused about this too! When I spoke to an admissions counselor on the phone at Pomona, she told me that after my file was reviewed and in the case I was NOT offered an interview at Pomona, I would have to call and say that I was interested in applying at Lebanon ...It really didn't make sense to me at the time and it certainly doesn't anymore now that I got this secondary from Lebanon AFTER submitting the Pomona secondary. I don't want to call again...I'm going to email this time.

Any help from the forum would be greatly appreciated!

OK, I got an email answer that cleared it up for me...hopefully it answers your questions too:

When we received your primary application to our campuses, we did not know which your primary campus choice was so you received two supplementary applications. You may only complete the Pomona supplementary application if you wish. If you submit both supplementary applications, we will complete your applications to both campuses using one set of letters of recommendation. However, only Pomona will consider your application at this time as we are non-competing campuses. You may also change your mind and ask to be considered for the Lebanon, OR campus.

Each password and log-in should be unique. So you will need to create different ones. I hope this helps.

Susan Downes Hanson, MS
Executive Director of Admissions
College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
Department of Health Professions Education
Western University of Health Sciences

OK, I got an email answer that cleared it up for me...hopefully it answers your questions too:

When we received your primary application to our campuses, we did not know which your primary campus choice was so you received two supplementary applications. You may only complete the Pomona supplementary application if you wish. If you submit both supplementary applications, we will complete your applications to both campuses using one set of letters of recommendation. However, only Pomona will consider your application at this time as we are non-competing campuses. You may also change your mind and ask to be considered for the Lebanon, OR campus.

Each password and log-in should be unique. So you will need to create different ones. I hope this helps.

Susan Downes Hanson, MS
Executive Director of Admissions
College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
Department of Health Professions Education
Western University of Health Sciences

I don't get the point of applying to both campuses and paying two secondary fees to only be considered at one campus. I wish the response indicated whether you would be considered at the other campus if you do not get accepted at your campus of choice.

I think I'm just going to pick one campus and stick with it, otherwise, it sounds like a potential waste of an extra $65.

I don't get the point of applying to both campuses and paying two secondary fees to only be considered at one campus. I wish the response indicated whether you would be considered at the other campus if you do not get accepted at your campus of choice.

I think I'm just going to pick one campus and stick with it, otherwise, it sounds like a potential waste of an extra $65.

I'm surprised they still haven't cleared this issue up. So this is how the process works from my understanding. You must make a decision at the time of the supplementary application for which campus you want. We are essentially one class whose curriculum is delivered to two sites. I know that they mention that if one location rejects your application, the other one may look at it, but I haven't seen any examples of that being done talking to the administrators. I may be wrong and will check when I get the chance. To be safe, make a choice for which site you would like to attend and submit the secondary indicating that location. Don't pay the secondary fee twice until someone posts up a clear explanation from the admissions office indicating to do so.