Western U - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I too was struggling between Kirksville and Western NW, but ultimately chose Western NW. According to the speaker on interview day, Western NW scored the highest on their boards the past year.. plus I wanted to stay in the west, and have my rotations in the west. And I liked the new facility, community, and Oregon. But Kirksville is an original, and is still above average on their boards. And the school seems super awesome. But ultimately, location and board scores were the deciding factor for me.

Just to clarify, COMP-NW has never had a class take the board yet. We will be the first this June.

Western/COMP has had students in its Northwest Track (the roots of the Oregon campus) take boards for the past few years (7, I think). None of those students did any didactic education here in Oregon so to assume their performance is predictive of ours isn't really valid.

Members don't see this ad.

I want to mail in my second deposit...but misplaced the address I need to send it to in Pomona. Also forgot what to make the check out to. If anyone can either PM it to me or throw it on the thread, that would be great!

You can make the check out to Western University of Health Sciences and send it to the following:

COMP-Admissions
Attn: Martha Huizar
309 E Second St
Pomona, CA 91766-1854

Note:
You can also call Martha at 909-469-5332 and pay by card over the phone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't you have an interview at DMU too? Have you been yet?
Not yet...Jan 31st.

I like the town of lebanon better than kirksville but the "newness" of Western PNW is the only thing that has me concerned. I am assuming that since it is a part of Western the board scores will be similar to those in Pomona??? Same for the match?? I know no one has a crystal ball but I just wanted to see if any current or future students have had those concerns.

You can make the check out to Western University of Health Sciences and send it to the following:

COMP-Admissions
Attn: Martha Huizar
309 E Second St
Pomona, CA 91766-1854

Note:
You can also call Martha at 909-469-5332 and pay by card over the phone.

:thumbup:
Thanks dudeliness!!

Last week Jeanie sent emails to accepted students offering ISAC. Any though on the course from current students? Or, prospective students' thought welcome too.

Did you take it?
Did you like it?
Would you recommend it?

Last edited:
Last week Jeanie sent emails to accepted students offering ISAC. Any though on the course from current students?

Did you take it?
Did you like it?
Would you recommend it?

She sent an email last week? I didn't get anything. Was it in your westernu mail account?

I just interviewed here on Saturday and I read in the information packet that they make decisions on Thursdays after the interview. I'm really excited to go here and want to hear back from them ASAP.

How long did it take to hear back about an acceptance?

I just interviewed here on Saturday and I read in the information packet that they make decisions on Thursdays after the interview. I'm really excited to go here and want to hear back from them ASAP.

How long did it take to hear back about an acceptance?

I interviewed December 8th and I believe I got the call on the 18th. Good luck.

I'm in the same boat, interviewed on saturday and I keep checking this forum to see if anybody has gotten their call yet lol. good luck to us all!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question to the current Western PNW students. Is the curriculum at lebanon the same as Pomona? Are the same teachers used at both sites?
Thank you!!

I have a question to the current Western PNW students. Is the curriculum at lebanon the same as Pomona? Are the same teachers used at both sites?
Thank you!!

I thought you were trying to decide between the COMP-NW and another school? They should have made it clear during the interview day that COMP and COMP-NW are considered the same campus. Everything is the same (right down to the same pointless and tedious detail). Whether that is good or not is for you to decide.

Racerwad thank you for the response. I appreciate it! clears up my main concern!I am assuming you go to COMP PNW are you happy there? What has been your impression about your education so far?

Racerwad thank you for the response. I appreciate it! clears up my main concern!I am assuming you go to COMP PNW are you happy there? What has been your impression about your education so far?

I believe that compared to the other institutions you would be comparing it to, it is fine. There are strong faculty members and weak faulty members with the majority occupying somewhere in the middle. I think our experience here in Oregon is better than it is in CA, but that's my bias. At either campus there is a ton of administration and bureaucracy which is annoying.

I'm hoping for early notification from this school. I'm starting to obsess over my interview responses.

I'm hoping for early notification from this school. I'm starting to obsess over my interview responses.

Why are you hoping for a response if you are already a medical student? Are you transfering?

AFAIK, Western doesn't participate in any sort of early enrollment - they have year round rolling admissions.

I changed the tag to medical student after my first acceptance, and I want expedited notification of their decision.

Sorry if I was unclear.

I keep lurking on this thread to see if any of the 1/19 interviewees have heard back from the school.

Anybody know what the average Western COMLEX scores are?

ACCEPTED!!!! WOO HOO!!!! OREGON... here I come!!!!

No call for me. I wonder if I am waitlisted or rejected. :(

Congrats to those who got acceptances! Don't forget to look up the COMP-NW c/o 2017 Facebook group and join! There was a link posted for it a couple pages back.

welp, no call so it looks like I don't have to debate between here and pnwu anymore haha congrats all, we're gonna be docs;)

I got a call from Dr. Pham. I've been traveling and he left a 1-2 minute voicemail-said to expect something in the mail. Have you heard anything? I believe we met on interview day, unless there were multiple people from PA.

Was accepted last week, but will be turning it down. Good luck everyone.

Congratulations to those who were accepted so far! I am looking forward to meeting those of you who decide on Western!!

Does anyone know how the wait list works here? Do they rank the list or have high and low priority students? How do I go about getting off the list to be enrolled?

I would surmise there's no set-in-stone rankings list. Everyone who is on it probably gets re-evaluated side by side as spots open up. The amount of movement year to year changes. I think CO2015 had a lot of waitlist movement, while CO2016 had less movement. Those who show earnest interest probably get viewed more favorably.

Just got my letter, I'm an alternate. Might have to call them tomorrow...

You think if I tell them they're my top choice and I'm accepted elsewhere that they'd let me in??? haha silly, but after interviewing there I really liked the campus/town/people etc....

Last edited:
If you're really serious, they will take it into consideration. I would ask if there are any ways you can improve your standing on the wait list.

Just got my letter, I'm an alternate. Might have to call them tomorrow...

You think if I tell them they're my top choice and I'm accepted elsewhere that they'd let me in??? haha silly, but after interviewing there I really liked the campus/town/people etc....

If you're really serious, they will take it into consideration. I would ask if there are any ways you can improve your standing on the wait list.

I just found out that I was selected to be an Alternate as well. Good luck to you Atheris, I hope we can be classmates this Fall.

One of the things that was lacking from my application was a LOR from a DO (this was brought up during my interview). I have one that wrote me a letter of recommendation for LECOM who is willing to work to modify it to be COMP-NW wait list specific. Does anyone have any advice on what I should ask him to include in the letter?

I am the middle author on a paper that was 'Accept with Major Revision' to the Journal of Veterinary Pathology. Should I bring that up in my update letter I'm planing on sending to the school this weekend?

I just found out that I was selected to be an Alternate as well. Good luck to you Atheris, I hope we can be classmates this Fall.

One of the things that was lacking from my application was a LOR from a DO (this was brought up during my interview). I have one that wrote me a letter of recommendation for LECOM who is willing to work to modify it to be COMP-NW wait list specific. Does anyone have any advice on what I should ask him to include in the letter?

I am the middle author on a paper that was 'Accept with Major Revision' to the Journal of Veterinary Pathology. Should I bring that up in my update letter I'm planing on sending to the school this weekend?

I would include anything that you think will help. Like the middle author thing...definitely will help for any school.

I honestly think COMP-NW wants kids that fit well into their community, so I would definitely highlight that in my letter. I remember during my interview, it was pretty evident that they were looking for fit rather than numbers and whatnot.

On another note, congratulations to everyone who got accepted!!! I look forward to meeting any of you that decide on here!

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this thread for a while..

Has anyone called Martha and paid by card? Are there any associated fees?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Hey. I called Martha in Cali and paid via phone by credit card. There were no associated fees.

It was actually a benefit for me. I ended up getting rewards on my credit card :thumbup:

Thanks. That's one reason why I want to pay by card, and I don't trust snail mail :/

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

I called Martha and paid by card as well. She said I should be getting an email to my western account but I haven't received one yet... Did you receive an email or any type of confirmation saying that your card was successfully charged? If so how long did it take for you to get it? I'm tripping out because I just want to make sure I gave her the right information and it went through because there is no charge on my credit card account. :scared:

I called Martha and paid by card as well. She said I should be getting an email to my western account but I haven't received one yet... Did you receive an email or any type of confirmation saying that your card was successfully charged? If so how long did it take for you to get it? I'm tripping out because I just want to make sure I gave her the right information and it went through because there is no charge on my credit card account. :scared:

So for me, I sent a check for my first deposit, and paid by card for my second deposit. The dates worked differently back in December, but it might be one large deposit at this point. I got two emails confirming my deposits...however, it took a while for them to take the money from my account the first time, and it took about two weeks for them to post it on my credit card. You could just call either Jess or Jeanie, and they could probably confirm it for you.

Listening to spoon man by collective soul (and other such classics) as I drive from Portland to the Phoenix Inn at Albany. This is good.

SOUNDGARDEN, Dude!