Western U - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
got the secondary.

The problem I have is that it says to keep each answer to 250 characters and below...that's less than a small paragraph. I will be calling them on Thursday (since tomorrow is July 4th) to ask them if this is a typo. Last year the limit was 1 page. Big difference.

Yeah. Seems a bit confusing. At the top of the page it says "please limit your comments to one page". Then it writes in red asking to limit answers to 250 characters or less, which is essentially just two sentences.

This 250 CHARACTER thing is really ridiculous! It's barely 3 sentences! I don't want to submit until I CONFIRM this is really what they want. Like the poster above, I will call them on Thursday. I'll report back here with my findings.

I bet they meant 2500 characters. I think that's around a page. Let us know what you find out! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I bet they meant 2500 characters. I think that's around a page. Let us know what you find out! :)
I pre-wrote my secondaries for Western based on last year's thread and theirs had 2500 character limit. It better not be 250 words!

I pre-wrote my secondaries for Western based on last year's thread and theirs had 2500 character limit. It better not be 250 words!

me too...

I kind of wish it were 250 characters though. I have some pretty good one liners that I could have tried out.;)

The shorter the better, no? I'd take advantage of this opportunity.

Under "teaching experience" do I include any tutoring?

Members don't see this ad :)
250 characters.

har-har.

calling tomorrow. this is just silly....

in big bold red, too. for shame.

Hey for the parent info section, it's kinda confusing because it only gives you the option to input one address. My parents don't live together because they are divorced.
Anyone else have that same problem? Did you just pick one parent and put their information in there?

For anyone still wondering, they updated the character count to 1650 characters. This was communicated to me by email

For anyone still wondering, they updated the character count to 1650 characters. This was communicated to me by email
COOL. They changed it on the secondary app too. Thanks for checking on that!

Yup, 1650 characters. Muuuch better, haha.
Also, if you got a scary message after submitting that says that you have submitted your application for the MS, Medical Sciences program and that you need to print out that signature page, etc...
DISREGARD, it's a glitch in the system. I called and they are trying to fix it.
Whew, they really scared me there!

COOL. They changed it on the secondary app too. Thanks for checking on that!

no problemo. ;)

Also, if you got a scary message after submitting that says that you have submitted your application for the MS, Medical Sciences program and that you need to print out that signature page, etc...

got this too... and I almost applied, just in case :laugh:

Thanks for this update :thumbup:.
I was about to call them..

Damn it! I was just about to submit with essays less than 2500 characters.Time to make even more cuts!

The character count includes spaces, right?

Last edited:
Damn it! I was just about to submit with essays less than 2500 characters.Time to make even more cuts!

The character count includes spaces, right?

yes, unfortunately

yea still waiting as well. got the NW secondary earlier

Still waiting for secondary as well. :( Maybe they get the days after the 4th off too, so it's possible those who haven't received the secondary will get them starting next week. I have a 3.4/31 so I hope I haven't been screened out.

I submitted before they made the character changes.. Maybe I can get them to let me edit?

Has anyone who was released on 6/28 received a secondary from here?

I submitted before they made the character changes.. Maybe I can get them to let me edit?

I did too...I asked to see if I could/should change it and they said don't worry about it. They emailed me back within 30 min, if you want to email them and check as well

I started my application the other day and I was just going in to finish it and it's not pulling anything up when I log in. It's asking me to start a new application and doesn't allow me to select DO Pomona Secondary. It only lets me choose DO Northwest Secondary. I even tried making a new account and it has the same situation. Anyone else run into this? I'm almost starting to think I accidentally submitted everything without adding my essays. If so I'll just email it to them.

The EXACT same thing happened to me. Word for word. I'm actually kinda worried because I'd left "Placeholder" in the essay sections. I'll give them a couple days to fix things. Then email.

I started my application the other day and I was just going in to finish it and it's not pulling anything up when I log in. It's asking me to start a new application and doesn't allow me to select DO Pomona Secondary. It only lets me choose DO Northwest Secondary. I even tried making a new account and it has the same situation. Anyone else run into this? I'm almost starting to think I accidentally submitted everything without adding my essays. If so I'll just email it to them.

Same problem here, I had everything done and went to add my essays and submit but it was gone. I checked earlier in the day and it was still there. I hope it didn't delete everything! Lots of problems with the electronic secondary systems this year.

Happened to me too!

i can't even get into the site since yesterday afternoon.

Wow ... I am glad I haven't recieved the secondary yet with all the problems you guys are having.... I will just wait until they work the bugs out....:whistle:

Mine is completely fine. Maybe the kinks are sorted out now?

I'm using the newest version of Firefox.

This is the email I just received from them. Just wanted to add that I went in and everything was back to normal.

"Yesterday afternoon, our secondary application for the DO Pomona Campus was temporarily closed due to technical issues. Our Tech Support Team has resolved the issue and reopened the application this morning. Please visit our Admissions Application/View Application Checklist Login portal at https://banapps.westernu.edu:4443/pls/live8/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon.

You will be able to select a new "DO Pomona Secondary" application or click on the "Fall 2013" link next to the DO Pomona Secondary Application Type to continue with an application already in progress. Any items you previously completed will be saved.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Please feel free to contact me with additional questions or concerns."

Last edited:
Mine is completely fine. Maybe the kinks are sorted out now?

I'm using the newest version of Firefox.
Yeah, mine was, too. Thank God, I easily completed and submitted my secondary days before those system glitches have happened.

Waiting for an invite WesternU.. yo!. :cool:

So I'm a bit confused. It looks like the secondary is already open. Should I wait until Western gives me the email or can I fill it out and submit it?

I have a question about the interviews? Will they contact your interview invites through email or phone call. thanks

Do they provide with a web link to select the interview date among a list? Working full-time in the office, I wonder if I'll be able to decide on which date to select for the interview.

Do they provide with a web link to select the interview date among a list? Working full-time in the office, I wonder if I'll be able to decide on which date to select for the interview.

You can always reschedule if you need to ...No big deal