Western U - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alright, those of us that interviewed on December 15th should be hearing something this week per what they told us on interview day. Good luck everyone.

Anyone know whether they send a letter, email, call, or some combination thereof?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know it is by mail for all decisions. My acceptance letter was pretty unobtrusive and in a cream colored envelope with the school seal designed in gold foil, and I truthfully almost didn't open it for fear of the worst (it didn't have many papers in it).
Good luck to you and to everyone else still waiting!!

Alright, those of us that interviewed on December 15th should be hearing something this week per what they told us on interview day. Good luck everyone.

Anyone know whether they send a letter, email, call, or some combination thereof?

I would think so. I remember them saying that the first $1000 deposit will be due on Feb. 1st so if the letters don't get out to those who are accepted this week, the window to make that deadline would be very small.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would think so. I remember them saying that the first $1000 deposit will be due on Feb. 1st so if the letters don't get out to those who are accepted this week, the window to make that deadline would be very small.
A friend of mine that interviewed with me called the office and was told that decisions have been made and that they intend to mail out the letters "at the end of the month." I imagine the deadline would be extended to 4 weeks after receiving the letter--we'll see. Anyway, good luck to everyone.

A friend of mine that interviewed with me called the office and was told that decisions have been made and that they intend to mail out the letters "at the end of the month." I imagine the deadline would be extended to 4 weeks after receiving the letter--we'll see. Anyway, good luck to everyone.

As to you. All I know is that this wait is killing me. I have to check the forums around 15 times a day to see if I should expect something in the mail or if I am deemed not worthy of this school. Luckily I live close to the school so the turn around time from being sent to arrival should be relatively short.

for those of you that already interviewed, when discussing your research do they really grill you? For instance, "in your app you said that you do this research, how did you perform X, or tell me how to make Y"? OR is it just more of you providing a general overview of your research and recent projects, and what you learned from the research and why you did it?

for those of you that already interviewed, when discussing your research do they really grill you? For instance, "in your app you said that you do this research, how did you perform X, or tell me how to make Y"? OR is it just more of you providing a general overview of your research and recent projects, and what you learned from the research and why you did it?

More of the latter. Don't be surprised if, after you give your spiel on your research, they ask more about it. I had an interview where the interviewer asked if I enjoyed it. I said yes and she was like... "Buy really??? Did you really???"

it won't be brought up unless you bring it up yourself

Yeah that's cool,I just don't wanna go into details of 'this is how i prepare X, and then I mix Y and Z and centrifuge A' blah blah cus that doesn't even show them anything about me and takes timmmmmmmeeeeeeeeee lol

Also, once offered an interview what are the chances of being accepted? How big of a role does stats play here once you get an interview?

Yeah that's cool,I just don't wanna go into details of 'this is how i prepare X, and then I mix Y and Z and centrifuge A' blah blah cus that doesn't even show them anything about me and takes timmmmmmmeeeeeeeeee lol

Also, once offered an interview what are the chances of being accepted? How big of a role does stats play here once you get an interview?

If i remember it's 395 acceptances for 220 spots, and I forgot how many they interview it's in the 600's but overall 60% chance. No clue about stats

As to you. All I know is that this wait is killing me. I have to check the forums around 15 times a day to see if I should expect something in the mail or if I am deemed not worthy of this school. Luckily I live close to the school so the turn around time from being sent to arrival should be relatively short.

Since you live so close you need to announce it here once it arrives to you :naughty:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I'm getting nervous for everyone else! Hurry up mail! This thread was so incredibly helpful in my prep for my interview, I hope there is good news coming to you all soon!

Ok I'm getting nervous for everyone else! Hurry up mail! This thread was so incredibly helpful in my prep for my interview, I hope there is good news coming to you all soon!

:D thank you! You got accepted right? Will you be attending? :)

I'm in LA, and I still don't see any mail. Longest wait for a DO school relatively speaking!

I'm in Riverside and I too am letterless. Would have been a great way to start the weekend (or a bad one too I guess).

none. ouch they're late for the one month promise they made.

By my count, we are 6 weeks deep. When I heard it was a 2 week turn around from these forums I was really excited. I guess the holidays really shafted us Dec. 15th interviewees on a quick response.

Ya this wait is a killer. Do we know for sure that the Feb 1st payment will be extended?

It wouldn't make sense not to extend it. Too bad the mail doesn't come on Sunday :(
Yeah, I can't imagine they'd do something that unfair (maintaining the original deadline). I guess for those that aren't sure about the school, the late reply is a blessing. It should give the aforementioned applicants more time to decide. Nevertheless, the wait is awful. This school has taken the longest of all my interviews to render a decision, by far.

The only reason I bother to check this thread anymore is to see if drshark and Guero got accepted yet. Western is notoriously slow. Just hang in there! I'm sure you guys will hear back very soon!!

The only reason I bother to check this thread anymore is to see if drshark and Guero got accepted yet. Western is notoriously slow. Just hang in there! I'm sure you guys will hear back very soon!!

HAHA me too!

Thanks guys, it's been such a long wait. Hope to hear something good soon.

Haha I won't even be attending this school and I have been checking for just that same reason.

Still hoping for an ii :-(

Good luck to those waiting on decisions :)

HAHA me too!

Haha I won't even be attending this school and I have been checking for just that same reason.

lol all of you guys are great :) Thanks for the support! Much appreciated :luck:

LoL, you're all awesome! Thank you so much for the support.

But honestly, brutally honest, I don't think I'll attend. I'm not 100% sure yet, but there were so many things that struck me as comparably undesirable (e.g., sharing a cadaver between 12 people and only doing half the dissections, such early building hours, spread of rotations, etc.). I want nothing more than to return home and practice; but I also want to ensure I make the best choice in schools. I'm not saying Western U is a bad school by any means. I'm just saying I think I might have a better fit at some of the other schools at which I've interviewed. We'll see.

I'll keep everyone up to date on when I receive an admission decision and when I make my own decision. Good luck to all of you waiting on decisions and interviews. I at least know that I if I choose to go elsewhere that my seat will go to an amazing and deserving person. Cheers!

But honestly, brutally honest, I don't think I'll attend. I'm not 100% sure yet, but there were so many things that struck me as comparably undesirable (e.g., sharing a cadaver between 12 people and only doing half the dissections, such early building hours, spread of rotations, etc.). I want nothing more than to return home and practice; but I also want to ensure I make the best choice in schools. I'm not saying Western U is a bad school by any means. I'm just saying I think I might have a better fit at some of the other schools at which I've interviewed.

+1 to everything you said here. Though, I was 100% sure back in December for the reasons you've outlined.

But honestly, brutally honest, I don't think I'll attend. I'm not 100% sure yet, but there were so many things that struck me as comparably undesirable (e.g., sharing a cadaver between 12 people and only doing half the dissections, such early building hours, spread of rotations, etc.). I want nothing more than to return home and practice; but I also want to ensure I make the best choice in schools. I'm not saying Western U is a bad school by any means. I'm just saying I think I might have a better fit at some of the other schools at which I've interviewed. We'll see.

I'll keep everyone up to date on when I receive an admission decision and when I make my own decision. Good luck to all of you waiting on decisions and interviews. I at least know that I if I choose to go elsewhere that my seat will go to an amazing and deserving person. Cheers!

So I have worked with residents who have gone to many different D. O. programs and I have noticed a lot of how prepared you are once you transition to the real world depends on the individual. Some of the best and some of the worst students I've seen have come from Western, Azcom, Lecom... With regards to board scores, the same appears to be true. What I am trying to say is that I am sure you will do great wherever you go.

So I have worked with residents who have gone to many different D. O. programs and I have noticed a lot of how prepared you are once you transition to the real world depends on the individual. Some of the best and some of the worst students I've seen have come from Western, Azcom, Lecom... With regards to board scores, the same appears to be true. What I am trying to say is that I am sure you will do great wherever you go.

So very true, thank you for the kind words. That's why I'm trying to ensure I'm happy for the next 4 years, wherever I may land.

Ya this wait is a killer. Do we know for sure that the Feb 1st payment will be extended?

So I just talked to them and they said that letters were sent out on Friday and on Monday and that the deposit due date will be pushed back.

So I just talked to them and they said that letters were sent out on Friday and on Monday and that the deposit due date will be pushed back.

So they should be in our mailbox today? Hopefully haha :D

:( yeah the cadaver thing kind of bothers me, but hey sometimes you got to sacrifice. You have acceptances to many great programs and i'm sure the one you end up at will be the right fit for you, making it easier for YOU to succeed! :) :luck:

It's here! But I guess I won't be attending. Got another place in mind!

what was the decision? Mine hasn't arrived
No bueno. It's odd because I left feeling great after my interview. But it's okay because I was tied between two schools (What Guero said about the cadaver sharing did strike as a major con for me, but the distance of the school to my place somewhat offset that). Hope you and other awesome people get in!!