Western U - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know when their last interview day is ? my application is ready for review just yesterday. it sounds like im cutting it close

Members don't see this ad.

Is it posted somewhere?
Very interested to know~~:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if the class is full but last year this time they gave out deferred acceptances, congrats on your other acceptance :D

drshark, are you still waiting to hear back from Western post-WL?

drshark, are you still waiting to hear back from Western post-WL?

Hi Neko :) yes I don't believe they even begin contacting wait list people until june/july. The wait really sucks and I may not even hear from them at all which seems scary :scared:

There is a Match list that the 4th years compiled to know where their classmates are going, but I wouldn't be comfortable posting it because of people's privacy. Here's a match list from previous years. It doesn't give you the number, or the percentage of people that matched, but to give you a very broad idea of the specialties and locations. The way I see it, school can only prepare you to a certain degree, it's up to you to make it happen. :)

http://opti-west.org/matchlist.html

Hi Neko :) yes I don't believe they even begin contacting wait list people until june/july. The wait really sucks and I may not even hear from them at all which seems scary :scared:

Drshark
I still haven't even heard back post the hold :-(

Can any current students comment on clinical research opportunities for students? It was briefly discussed during my interview but any insight about the kinds of opportunities would be greatly appreciated!

Ohmygoodness that's so far away :(. Have you sent in letters of intent?

Ohmygoodness that's so far away :(. Have you sent in letters of intent?

I think the majority of people on the waitlist sends them. I could see them receiving 75+ alternates' letter of intent. I don't think they mean as much as people think they do.

I think the majority of people on the waitlist sends them. I could see them receiving 75+ alternates' letter of intent. I don't think they mean as much as people think they do.

I think it's the opposite, most people aren't proactive enough post-WL. It depends on the school if they carry any weight, but worst case scenario, you send a LOI and you're in the same position as you were before you sent it in. There's nothing to lose in trying and everything to gain if it's successful.

Hey all, I was a part of the interview Thursday the 14th. I'm still anxious to when the letter will arrive ...any ideas? I was in group red, from CT.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I can confirm that Western is still doing interviews, at least through mid-April.

Anyone get an email with this before?

"Your application has received extensive review; however you have not been selected for an interview at this time.

We receive applications from more qualified candidates than we can consider for interview.
Your application is still under consideration and you will be contacted by telephone or email should you be selected for an interview. Please keep your counselor advised of your most current telephone number and email."

Is there any hope or is this just a hidden rejection?

i got this email around dec/january, and today i got an II for mid april. Hopefully it's not an interview for the waitlist, but since i'm local i'll probably just go anyways.

So turns out Western put me on hold few months ago just to mess around with me because I got a call for an Interview invite today. I was told via email that I am being put on hold until I send them my most recent grades, which I never bothered updating them with. I found it odd that they wanted to wait for my grades because these are grades from two classes that are not pre-reqs and just general ed courses (Women studies and Philosophy) that I needed to complete for my bachelors. I asked the lady who called me about the hold and from her response it seemed like the admissions committee just changed their mind outta no where.

Western is just 20 mins from home and was my #1 back in June. But, as my cycle progressed, it slowly went down my list for various reasons. I already put a deposit down at LECOM-b and have been excited for living somewhere new. Now, I am just in the middle of deciding if I want to go to this interview or not. :confused:

For some reason I have never participated in this thread. I will be matriculating in Lebanon this summer (doing ISAC). I'm sure I will find helpful info in this thread as well since we're all one big happy family amirite? ;)

Well, its been close to 3 weeks since interview, but nothing in my mail box. Any one in my boat?

Well, its been close to 3 weeks since interview, but nothing in my mail box. Any one in my boat?

They may take a while, I think I waited around 6 weeks to get mine. Maybe even longer, good luck :luck:

They may take a while, I think I waited around 6 weeks to get mine. Maybe even longer, good luck :luck:

Sigh. Thank You dark. I understand that the mission process is complicated and it is long, but I believe they should give the students that impression instead of the two week turn-around given in the interview.

on the other hand, It could be my misunderstanding: for example,if they meant five to 14 business days.

I guess irregardless I'll be doing the same things: counting the days minutes and seconds between my mailbox trips.

Sigh. Thank You dark. I understand that the mission process is complicated and it is long, but I believe they should give the students that impression instead of the two week turn-around given in the interview.

on the other hand, It could be my misunderstanding: for example,if they meant five to 14 business days.

I guess irregardless I'll be doing the same things: counting the days minutes and seconds between my mailbox trips.

Yes its a tough anxious wait :( well let us know how it ends up! :luck:

They told my interview group that we will have to wait 10-15 BUSINESS days :(

Has anyone been awarded or received any information about the "Academic Excellence/A Tribute to Caring Scholarship"? It's money that is awarded by Western to incoming students and I'm trying to figure out when students are notified if they are getting any money.

for those that interviewed 3/14, i received an acceptance today in the mail so they're on their way

RejectEd , from interview march 14. Going to attend else where. Best of luck!

Sent by phone

If the interview day starts at 7:10
When will it end?

So at the interview today they indicated that this was the last one of the season.

Good luck, everyone! :xf:

So at the interview today they indicated that this was the last one of the season.

Good luck, everyone! :xf:

has the class been filled yet, did they mention how many seats they have left? :)

has the class been filled yet, did they mention how many seats they have left? :)

They told us that the class has not yet been filled. They did not say exactly how many seats were open.

Has anyone been awarded or received any information about the "Academic Excellence/A Tribute to Caring Scholarship"? It's money that is awarded by Western to incoming students and I'm trying to figure out when students are notified if they are getting any money.
You will be notified with your acceptance letter

i interviewed 3/14 and was put on the alternate list. is there a waitlist and an alternate list or just one? i remember during the interview a lady presenter said last year they only took 2 from their alternate list of 60. seems like a pretty slim chance for me if all i can really offer at this point is a letter of intent.

i interviewed 3/14 and was put on the alternate list. is there a waitlist and an alternate list or just one? i remember during the interview a lady presenter said last year they only took 2 from their alternate list of 60. seems like a pretty slim chance for me if all i can really offer at this point is a letter of intent.

The waitlist and alternate's list are the same.

I'd send a letter of intent. That's the only thing you can do at this point. I sent one back in November, but it hasn't helped so far.

Interviewed 4/4. Got rejection email yesterday. Just surprised since they said they would snail mail all decisions..

Interviewed 4/4. accepted today. i live close so mail was probably pretty quick. good luck to those waiting