Western U - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, they will call you and give you available interview dates. Usually on saturdays.

Members don't see this ad.

They interview on Saturdays?

Members don't see this ad :)
just confirming: is the 1650 character limit for EACH essay?

"Applications not completed within 10 days will result in delayed processing. "

Is this once you start the application, or once you receive the email inviting you to complete the secondary?

"Applications not completed within 10 days will result in delayed processing. "

Is this once you start the application, or once you receive the email inviting you to complete the secondary?
I took it as meaning 10 days from when we received the email.

Still no secondary. Did anyone get a secondary invite email today?

Nothin here. Who knows whats goin on

Anybody use virtual evals to upload your LORs? If so have they appeared as received by the school yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Still no secondary. Did anyone get a secondary invite email today?

Nothin here. Who knows whats goin on

thats a bit odd...I know at least that hopefulMD has good stats (and I assume the rest of you do too). I double checked and the email came on the 5th. Any chance its in the good ol spam folder?

If not, maybe give em a call...its still early and all, but I called the office to verify my app's completion and they were really nice.

I have low stats (3.20/3.20) and they sent me one a few days back.

For those of you who have already submitted, did you receive any email confirmation that they received your secondary?

I submitted on 7/5, the day they were having all of these issues with the website. I even got that error message that I had applied to the MS, Medical Sciences program, (which I read we should disregard).

I'll probably email them later today, but I was just curious if there is any verification system that they are using.

For those of you who have already submitted, did you receive any email confirmation that they received your secondary?

I submitted on 7/5, the day they were having all of these issues with the website. I even got that error message that I had applied to the MS, Medical Sciences program, (which I read we should disregard).

I'll probably email them later today, but I was just curious if there is any verification system that they are using.
I didn't get a confirmation email but I do have the receipt for the fee. I submitted my secondary yesterday.

23247597.jpg

I submitted on 7/5. I just checked and my secondary has been processed but in the requirements section at the bottom of the app summary it says they haven't received my LOR's from Interfolio yet. I don't know if they are taking there time to look at those or if interfolio screwed up, but I'm gonna wait a little to find out.

I submitted on 7/5. I just checked and my secondary has been processed but in the requirements section at the bottom of the app summary it says they haven't received my LOR's from Interfolio yet. I don't know if they are taking there time to look at those or if interfolio screwed up, but I'm gonna wait a little to find out.

Mine doesn't even show that my secondary was received :-/

I'm hoping there wasn't an issue.

*edit* nevermind. I just realized I was looking at the Lebanon one and not the Pomona campus.

Just finally finished my secondary. You don't even receive an email with a receipt do you? I should have printed it...
No, the receipt didn't come in an email. I had to print mine too. A credit card/bank statement is a good back up plan though!

Yeah, I still haven't gotten anything yet either. I also live 5 minutes away from Western! lol

Finally got the freakin secondary!!

DMU and ATSU told me it usually takes 2-3 weeks to process LORs from Interfolio. I'm assuming it's the same story for Western.

Sweet, thanks for the info.

Nevermind. Just got an email from Western saying my LORs were received and added to my file. It was also a personalized email in reply to a previous email I sent... if that matters.

So for the question about shadowing making you want to go into osteopathic medicine, I had a question.

I did talk about my shadowing experience, but I have recently been working with a D.O. in the ER where I scribe. I was wondering if I could potentially talk about some of the things I've learned from him about osteopathic medicine in that section, even though it says shadowing?

So for the question about shadowing making you want to go into osteopathic medicine, I had a question.

I did talk about my shadowing experience, but I have recently been working with a D.O. in the ER where I scribe. I was wondering if I could potentially talk about some of the things I've learned from him about osteopathic medicine in that section, even though it says shadowing?

If you work with him as a scribe you are shadowing him... So it counts

My application is complete. Waiting for an interview.:rolleyes:

Dang, I am still being verified. All you guys making me feel like i am way behind with everything!:eek:

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the secondary?

I've tried it in Explorer, Chrome and Firefox with no luck....

If you work with him as a scribe you are shadowing him... So it counts
I was freaking out over this question because I've never shadowed a D.O. but I have worked with D.O.s for over 8 years so I had no choice but to talk about my work experience. I learned a ton about osteopathic medicine during my employment which is why I chose the D.O. route in the first place. I'm hoping they accept that answer. :eek:

I was freaking out over this question because I've never shadowed a D.O. but I have worked with D.O.s for over 8 years so I had no choice but to talk about my work experience. I learned a ton about osteopathic medicine during my employment which is why I chose the D.O. route in the first place. I'm hoping they accept that answer. :eek:

They sure will and 8 years wow.... I wish I had that I hope you got a letter from that Doctor.
Shadowing a doc is basically following them to learn their profession. Most people don't have the medical background to get a job with a doc so they do it for free. Some others, known as scribes, get paid to do this . I was a paid but now I use it as bait to shadow different doctors. Believe me they love it when somebody else is holding the chart and doing their paperwork....;)

They sure will and 8 years wow.... I wish I had that I hope you got a letter from that Doctor.
Shadowing a doc is basically following them to learn their profession. Most people don't have the medical background to get a job with a doc so they do it for free. Some others, known as scribes, get paid to do this . I was a paid but now I use it as bait to shadow different doctors. Believe me they love it when somebody else is holding the chart and doing their paperwork....;)
OK YAY! And I got TWO D.O. letters :D Six of those 8 years were at a hospital that Western students rotate through and I'm hoping that helps out my app.

I still would like to shadow other doctors in other fields just to see what it's like.

OK YAY! And I got TWO D.O. letters :D Six of those 8 years were at a hospital that Western students rotate through and I'm hoping that helps out my app.

I still would like to shadow other doctors in other fields just to see what it's like.

I wish I had two letters, I got one from a family medicine doc I shadowed....Lets just say I trust that letter to get me shot at any school I send it too... The other one I am getting from a heme/onco DO I shadowed and he is great, he is just on vacay right now so the letter is taking a lot longer then I wanted but it will come through.... I hope:scared: ( PS I HATE WAITING FOR LORS) HATE IT))

I wish I had two letters, I got one from a family medicine doc I shadowed....Lets just say I trust that letter to get me shot at any school I send it too... The other one I am getting from a heme/onco DO I shadowed and he is great, he is just on vacay right now so the letter is taking a lot longer then I wanted but it will come through.... I hope:scared: ( PS I HATE WAITING FOR LORS) HATE IT))
WOW a heme/onco D.O.! That's awesome! My two are both ER docs but one is the ER chairman and the other is an allopathic residency coordinator. I got very lucky with those two!

I don't like waiting for LORs either. Drives me nuts! My committee letter won't be done until August 1st which drives me to even further insanity.

WOW a heme/onco D.O.! That's awesome! My two are both ER docs but one is the ER chairman and the other is an allopathic residency coordinator. I got very lucky with those two!

I don't like waiting for LORs either. Drives me nuts! My committee letter won't be done until August 1st which drives me to even further insanity.

Alot of people in your boat right now.

Alot of people in your boat right now.

+1. My last LOR was received by Interfolio/AMCAS on July 4 and I was freaking out about them up until then. Definitely a huge relief once you know your applications are 100% in your hands.

anyone else get their email saying they need _______ before they proceed? they say they need my mcat and lore's, but they should have both by now...prob just taking time to process...:sleep:

anyone else get their email saying they need _______ before they proceed? they say they need my mcat and lore's, but they should have both by now...prob just taking time to process...:sleep:

yes i was going to call.

but that it's a common email, maybe they've received and are just being lazy or something.

meh. i'll call anyway.

yes i was going to call.

but that it's a common email, maybe they've received and are just being lazy or something.

meh. i'll call anyway.

Haven't seen much of you since the MCAT forum. How're applications going?

Haven't seen much of you since the MCAT forum. How're applications going?

What can I say. It's so expensive it's causing a lot of friction between me and the parents.

yeah. just money problems. theoretical interview invites won't make this much easier, either.

i hope your luck is better than mine, my friend.