Western U Pomona vs KCUMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Queen_B

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a SoCal resident and was wondering about the pros and cons of these two schools. Let me know what you think!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just going to say what everyone else is thinking.
You'll probably have to put what you're looking for in terms of what attributes you want to discuss the most.
Location? Match lists? Scores? Food? Etc.
School vs. school is too broad.
I am a SoCal resident and was wondering about the pros and cons of these two schools. Let me know what you think!

Both of these schools have a strong academic reputation. They both have large class size. Based on the numbers I see online, KCU seems to have higher first time passing board rate.
I mainly want to focus on the differences between the schools academically. If anyone can provide input or feedback, it would be super helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
KCU has an outstanding program and is cheaper. KCU is well established academically and is at the top of the list in terms of osteopathic schools. Not only does KCU have passing board scores but they are top level scores.

Dont mean to hijack this thread, but can anyone also comment on the living experience/school community for both schools?

Both schools are very, very different.
If you can be a little bit more specific on how you wish to differentiate the schools, I believe more people can help you.

I'm just going to slide in here and ask a relevant points of comparison since I'm in the same spot as OP

- student collaboration/competitiveness and student life (ECs, clubs and activities, involvement in community)
- location of match residency -- it seems that COMP matches a very large number of individuals to CA residencies and KCUMB students tend not to. Aside from the obvious geographical factor, how much more difficult would it be if someone who wanted to do a residency/practice in CA went to KCU vs. COMP
- pre-clinical years curriculum and resources provided for COMPLEX/USMLE. I know that KCU provides a lot of resources, but idk about western.
- quality of rotations and number of electives

Dont mean to hijack this thread, but can anyone also comment on the living experience/school community for both schools?

Im not going to rave on Western's party in terms oc curriculum because I think KCU is tirelessly sided with on this aspect. I'm going to comment on the living experience since that was a huge reason why I came here.

I visited Western (from San Diego). Western is in Pomona which is a smallll city with IMO, limited things to do. You're stuck in many ways unless you drive out elsehwere (assuming it's a minimum 20 minute commute).

KCU is probably a little more than a few blocks from downtown KC. It takes me 2-5 minutes to get to Power and Light district or the City Market which has restaurants and more importantly, alcohol. It's 10 minutes away from Westport (more alcohol), Crosroads. There are multiple performing arts areas (Kauffman Center for Performing Arts). If you drive 20-30 minutes away you are in Overland Park which is suburbia central with a ton of malls, high end shops and places to eat and (probaby more important for a broke medical student) lots and lots of grocery stores (Hyvee and Price Chopper is like the West Coast Vons, yes there's also a whole foods and trader joes here too).

Having this accessibility was what drove me to come here. I'm not a small town person and art/music is something I want around me. KC def has that and KCU is one of the few DO programs that is actually in an urban area.

Me and my wife still have yet to explore all of the city, we just visited West Bottoms which is like an entire little district of renovated industrial buildings that have been turned into antique shops (not your typical small mom and pop shop, I'm talking multiple stories with cafes at the top floor). We visited Sauer Castle which is an awesome and supposedly haunted! So yeah, I love this city.

Albeit, I wouldn't make much of huge deal of living experiences since there's a high chance of relocation after your two years of relocation. you can suffer through anything for two years.