Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

WESTERN U: RECOMMENDED (NOT) TEXTBOOKS!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by aecuenca, Jul 10, 2000.

1. aecuenca

aecuenca Senior Member

Hi everyone!

I was hoping that all of you 2nd+ year students can give us MS1's tips on what NOT TO BUY at the bookstore.

Like all of us, just trying to save some $$$$ (to help pay for that ridiculous laptop fee!! Those bastards.)

Arnold
    WESTERN U/COMP CLASS OF 2004
    http://members.xoom.com/omasucsd/logo.htm

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. adri

adri Junior Member

dude,
    you NEED to wait until school starts....there will be plenty of 2nd years selling their books. plus, you are only gonna buy half the books that are recommended.

4. aecuenca

aecuenca Senior Member

Okay, maybe I misworded my question.

What I meant to say was....for all current COMP students: which books have you found to be a complete waste of your money?

Arnold
    WESTERN U/COMP CLASS OF 2004
    http://members.xoom.com/omasucsd/logo.htm

5. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member

ALL OF THEM!!!! Don't get suckered or else you will spend uneccesarily!

They ONLY book I ever bought was Anatomy by Netter (worthwhile investment) for my 2 years at WesternU & I survived successfully!

They will give you TONS of notes which is more than enough to keep you busy! You will not have time to spend reading textbooks! If you still need more clarification, just use the good ole library & check out books....I did! I mean, how much can things change in the basic sciences?

If you are going to invest $$$ on books, make them BOARD books or rotation books b/c you will definitely need them later! Save your money & use the library! Aren't you guys paying for laptop fees already? Geez, we are a majority poor medical students & every penny counts! Good luck!! [​IMG]

Rob
    WesternU/COMP MS III

[This message has been edited by Future DOc (edited 07-12-2000).]

6. Paul's Boutique

Whoa there, Stallion...

Besides Netter, you'll need the required text for the class: Clinically Oriented Anatomy by Moore. Also, a color atlas of anatomy (pix of cadavers) may help (Rohen's one).

There will be required texts for all your classes. You're already spending close to 30,000. Why screw up and -not- buy the books? OK, get em used, get em on the web, whatever. Wait till you get to school: during the first week of class, all stuff in the school store's discounted, which should help.

Get the texts. You can always sell em when youre done...

7. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member

Discounted books at the bookstore??? Oh, I guess I should BUY them then b/c the medical school said, "it's required!", huh!? You obviously still have a lot to learn about WesternU/COMP, PB!

Its just very amusing when an upcoming 1st year, who hasn't develop anything under their belt yet (maybe 1 month of ISAC, I assume) can know the COMPLETE scoop about the reality at WesternU/COMP already. Give me a break!

Nothing personal, but my advice was just based on 2 years of ACTUAL experiences, & I was only trying to help fellow collegues learn from common & numerous 1st years' mistakes b/c noone failed to warn them. So, you can take the advice or leave it, but please don't second guess me!

So, go ahead & buy ALL the books that your wallet desires! Let's talk after the end of the first year & see if it still wasn't a mistake! I bet you all will be singing a different tune if you buy the books they say are "required"!

You all probably still feel that the laptop situation will also be a valuable asset to your medical education, huh! Geeezzz, what a joke!!!! Good luck anyhow!

Rob
    WesternU/COMP MS III

[This message has been edited by Future DOc (edited 07-13-2000).]

8. Paul's Boutique

Dude, you're twisted. Enjoy yourself.

9. dlbruch

dlbruch Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Rob- That was an uncharacteristically cynical and negative post. Where is it coming from? You usually have much to share with us, incoming first years, and have seemed in the past to have a very positive perspective toward COMP. Why the sudden change. Just curious- I do appreciate the warning not to buy all the "required" texts.

10. Moon

Moon Member

About the laptop, i think the school wants us to access the stock market easier, do some trading to pay back the ridiculous fee. One other thing, there is a feature in the MS Word that can record and type up the lecture for you . A mic and some additional softwares are needed. I don't know how helpful it is because the school is providing the notes. Are you guys all ready, just one more week !
    I believe we can get by the courses without buying all the books. Economically, we can buy a couple editions old text book at less than 50% and still get very much all the info. I'm not trying to be frugal but the less we spend now, the less we will beindebted after school. The less financial concern when you practice, the more willing you are to do things that make you go to medicine in the first place, helping people in need of medical attention (whether one has an insurance or not, or free co-payments...)

11. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member

My apologies if I sounded cynical; it wasn't meant to be that way!

It was just mearly amusing to find someone contradict me about WesternU/COMP when he hasn't completed the first year yet, let alone began! I was only trying to help about the books...I guess it was futile!

By the way PB, did you know you can check out the Moore at the library also! I did as well as ALL the "required text books", so I hope the $70 for that book was well worth it b/c the bookstore will not buy it back later...that's for sure!

So, I am going to end it here with this thread! Good luck to you all with your endeavors & I hope you all make it.....successfully!

Oh, did you all check out WesternU/COMP in today's LA times: http://www.latimes.com/communities/news/pomona_valley/20000714/tiv0006917.html

Just a little prelude of the MANY scoops of what to expect from WesternU/COMP! Enjoy the trip!

Rob
    WesternU/COMP MS III

[This message has been edited by Future DOc (edited 07-14-2000).]

12. peiyueng

peiyueng Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hi,
    Rob is right about all you need is pretty much the "Netter." My husband and I are HPSP students and the Air Force pays for all school required texts. We bought all the required texts, and guess what? After two years in medical school, almost all of our books are in brand new condition. We didn't get to use or read most of them. The lecture notes are pretty complete for your studying.
    Good luck to all of you, and enjoy yourself before school begin.

Pei
    MSIII WesternU/COMP

p.s. you can really save money if you buy used books from the 2nd years. Look out for flyers that sell used books.

13. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member

Hey Rob,

what is that thing in the article about "embezzling a cadaver" ?????????