Western UHS Pacific question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NKMU

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i designated 11 schools on my primary application, and have received 10 secondaries. Western UHS of the Pacific has sent me nothing. do they screen? even if they do, i think i meet all their requirements, so what gives?

i saw on their website that most of the accepted students are from california. is it even worth applying as an ohio student with borderline stats?

i guess i'll call tomorrow unless i find out some reason why i didn't get a 2ndary

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming that you're talking about Western/COMP in Pomona?

They notified me about my application status via email - I think a lot of people who applied there were notified this way.

Definitely call them - they are nice people.

- Tae

Western is a private school, so your residence does not matter. I suspect that most of those accepted are from California simply because most of the applicants are from California. I'm pretty sure that Western screens; that means that not everyone who meets the min. standards is going to get a secondary. I think that perhaps you should wait a while before you call them up to ask them why you didn't receive a secondary.

with regards

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely call or email admissions! I was curious about why I didn't receive a secondary from Western also so I emailed admissions. I was told that they emailed me a couple months ago and sent me a postcard which I never received. Also check your junk mail box because I've received 2 of my secondaries in that box.

I had that same problem with their secondary, I sent my primary app in quite awhile ago, and I received secondaries from everyone except Western. Then about a month ago, I received an email from them basically saying "Why haven't you filled out the secondary yet", they reminded me of my i.d. and password for getting to the secondary, but that was the first time they had even contacted me. My email account didn't have a junkmail folder, so it wasnt like it went in there or anyhting, they just never sent it in the first place.

anyway, Ive decided not to apply there, but I just wanted to share this

hyper

I would agree with everyone else--call them or email. Supposidly, you should be contacted either w/ secondary or rejection. (At least not ignored).
Being in ROTC, one of my top choices is USUHS (MD) and then all DO schools. I had sent the AMCAS in around June, and had not heard back from them. While in training this summer, I got another AKO (military) account. I emailed and found out that they sent me a secondary back at end of July! Hotmail blocked it for some reason, and has been getting progressively worse at letting most through and screening out spam. I was in training and unable to access junk folder. Fortunately, they emailed and told me they sent way back then. I filled out secondary and returned within next couple days! I wouldn't take any chances if you really would like to go. I recieved secondary and I am MN resident going to school in WA.
Good luck!

PS--has any one else been having problems specifically with hotmail?

Just a little lesson: an alumni at my undergrad applied to med school. She submitted her secondary back in the fall and come April she hasn't heard anything from the school. She finally goes to the pre-health advisor at our school and says she hasn't heard anything from this this one school. The premed advisor gets on the phone and calls the DOA directly since he knows him and says why hasn't Jane Doe received anything. As it turns out, her file was misplaced and all the spaces had already been issued so she was too late to get an inteview. Apparently her file was SO good that she was given early admission for the next admission cycle the following year without even interviewing.

Lesson is don't wait that long to email the school!! This student could have gone to med school an entire year earlier if she had just had the courage to send an email after a month of not hearing anything, let alone five months!!!

I was in the same situation with TUCOM!! I sent my app in July to be considered early decision, and didn't hear anything from them. I finally decided to E-Mail and check my status. They wrote back and apologized for misplacing my DO letter, and said that they would have my app reviewed the next day. I was mad because it is my number one school, but lucky for me, I was offered an interview two days later!! So if I hadn't checked, I might not have ever gotten an interview!!

Vanessa