Western University CVM 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Kylieks I have my interview on Dec 1st as well. Staying about a mile away from Western at the comfort in. We should soooo meet up! Are you doing the tour, faq, etc things or just the interview? I registered for all of it.

Good luck as well!

Yea Im doing the tour and the presentations. And we should definitely meet up!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry for the late reply, have not been on here in a while! I am in the pre-vet club but usually have to work during the meetings. It's nice to know there's a fellow knight at Western!
No worries! I never went to the meetings when I was in undergrad ;) Hope your interview went well!

I had to switch my interview date from 12/2 to 12/5 because of a work issue, and am feeling nervous that the class gets announced just 2 weeks later! Anyone else scheduled for the 5th?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am! I'm flying out thursday! I'm so nervous and scared

Hey I am not sure if this has been mentioned but I noticed that people were saying they tend to accept more than they have space for. I had my interview today and was told that they will actually ONLY be accepting 99 people and the rest are either rejected or alternates. It is 99 people because they saved space for 6 who deferred last year.

@pirateslayme I was there too! :) really bummed about losing that 1 spot. Less of chance for all of us.

Anybody know if its ok to send an email to our interviewers? I got both of their cards and wanted to know if it would be odd to shoot them an email for their time etc.....any advice?

Thanks

I had to switch my interview date from 12/2 to 12/5 because of a work issue, and am feeling nervous that the class gets announced just 2 weeks later! Anyone else scheduled for the 5th?
I will also be there!!

@JohnnyAggie Since you have their business cards, it is absolutely ok to email them. Handwriting a note is also fine. I just think that emails are more convenient and can be sent much quicker than snail mail. I emailed both of my interviewers at Western last year and they even responded back to me. Its up to you on which format you would like to you use, but you should always send a thank you note to the people that interviewed you.

@pirateslayme
Anybody know if its ok to send an email to our interviewers? I got both of their cards and wanted to know if it would be odd to shoot them an email for their time etc.....any advice?

Thanks
As a pre-vet student, I was always told NOT to. As a vet student, I think you should go for it. Make it professional, of course, and that will speak volumes. Either way, it won't influence their decision since they've already submitted what they thought of your interview, so it can't hurt!

@pirateslayme I was there too! :) really bummed about losing that 1 spot. Less of chance for all of us.

Thanks

I was there yesterday. I asked the coordinator specifically if thank you cards are ok. They said absolutely yes and that the interviewers appreciate it:)

where did everyone stay during yalls interviews? I'm trying to book a hotel right now and they all seem really expensive :/

where did everyone stay during yalls interviews? I'm trying to book a hotel right now and they all seem really expensive :/

I stayed at the Sheraton Fairplex - it's $112 a night if you tell them you're interviewing at Western. Higher base rate than some other hotels, but you get a free courtesy shuttle that you can use whenever. They even let me use it after I checked out of the hotel to get from Western back to the airport. Since taxi fare is $30-$40 from the airport to Western and vice versa, I think it's overall a pretty good deal. Make sure you schedule your shuttle pickups when you're booking your reservation, so you know that it's available at that time.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you! also, ladies, did yall wear black pants or skirts for the interview?

I stayed at Best Western in Diamond Bar. It was $86/night and a $20 cab ride to the school.

Wyatt'sAunt0903, I am going at 12/5 as well.

I am wearing black blazer and pant. The lodge I am staying is Super 8 (~60 after tax), with a rental car (from Payless, ~$30 after tax).

I stayed at the comfort inn. $64 rates if you tell them you are with Western. I also rented a car for about 50 bucks for 3 days from enterprise.

For the location and place, comfort inn was a pretty good deal. It's also really close to western u. About a 5 minute drive.

I stayed at the Sheraton Fairplex - it's $112 a night if you tell them you're interviewing at Western. Higher base rate than some other hotels, but you get a free courtesy shuttle that you can use whenever. They even let me use it after I checked out of the hotel to get from Western back to the airport. Since taxi fare is $30-$40 from the airport to Western and vice versa, I think it's overall a pretty good deal. Make sure you schedule your shuttle pickups when you're booking your reservation, so you know that it's available at that time.
if you are doing this, become a starwood member and at least accrue some points. :)

Quick question before I head to Cali, are we allowed to bring guests with us to the presentations? or should we go to these alone. I couldn't remember if it was this school or a different one that said we could. Couldn't find the email either :(

Quick question before I head to Cali, are we allowed to bring guests with us to the presentations? or should we go to these alone. I couldn't remember if it was this school or a different one that said we could. Couldn't find the email either :(
Guests are allowed everywhere except in your actual interview. It's an enjoyable day for them.

There were a lot of moms and boyfriends/husbands there on Tuesday. Only thing is some of them were dressed very unprofessionally. I think if you bring a guest, they should remember that they are a reflection of you. Just my opinion. Good luck!!!:)

just got nestled into my hotel! about to head out and find the school so i dont get lost in the morning! so nervous and excited!

just got nestled into my hotel! about to head out and find the school so i dont get lost in the morning! so nervous and excited!
I just ran into an interviewee on campus while I was walking my dog, that was trying to find their way around campus, so just a couple hints! There are really only two buildings that you'll need to worry about, and they're almost right next to each other! The BVCC building (soon to be renamed) is the big one with tons of lights on, next to a little grassy patch that has animal statues in it. There's a lit up street lamp/clock tower thing next to it. The other building, VMC, is a little further down the esplanade. If you end up crossing a street to find another vet med building, you've gone too far. Good luck! :)

Interviews are over, now the waiting game! :nailbiting:

During the 12/5 interview, they mentioned we might not hear the response until January... And give them a call if we don't hear by beginning of February.

But I remember someone mentioned about 12/19 on their Facebook page... Do they have different inform time for every different interview day?

Interviewers are so nice.... it makes me feel the faculty really cares about their students.

I interviewed 12/1 and they told us in the orientation they will try to send out notices by winter break. But I guess if they are behind it could get pushed back. :/

Good Luck, Everyone! I still remember when I got my acceptance... It was Thursday, December 19th around 8pm ET... I was going out to grab a drink with a friend because I found out I got a third interview. The celebrations took quite a different turn when I found out this news... Haha! Who knows? Maybe you will find out Thursday instead of Friday! Wishing you all the best! :-D

Reactions: 3 users
5 DAYS!!!! Hopefully.
home-alone1.jpg
ahhhhhhh! sending goood vibes to everyone and happpy holidays!

oh, and i think someone asked about overaccepting students. yes, they do that. i believe one year, they even offered seats to ~150 students for ~100 spots since they know not everyone will attend westernu. they will overaccept, but not sure by how much each year - probably varies.

At the presentation 12/1 the dean stated they will accept 99 people for 99 available seats; so no, they will not over-enroll this year. I believe someone said they'd offer about another 150 spots on the wait-list.

SO SOON

Reactions: 2 users
Well... After checking my email every 15 minutes since 7pm... I'm guessing we aren't getting notified today. :( bed time. Until tomorrow!

Well... After checking my email every 15 minutes since 7pm... I'm guessing we aren't getting notified today. :( bed time. Until tomorrow!
I believe they said it would be tomorrow :) Although it is only 6:30 here on the west coast and I remember they notified me at about 10 PM.

An update on the DVM admissions facebook page says that emails will be sent out today by 5pm PST .

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everybody,
It seems like you will all receive a notification soon!!! I got an acceptance email from western about 10 minutes ago.

I GOT ACCEPTED!!!!!! Ok does anyone know where the declaration of acceptance form is? I'm looking for it but can't seem to find it!

Alternate! Mixed feelings. here's to hoping! On the alternate list for two schools now... :/

I'm an alternate too. Anyone have an idea of how quickly the alternate list moves or how big it is? I know they said there's no way to know our chances but the suspense is killing me haha

I am also an alternate. Congrats to those who got in whether this was your first choice or a good option and can sigh a breath of relief! I'll take the opportunity to prepare for my upcoming interviews and see how fast the alternate list moves.

Hey everybody,
It seems like you will all receive a notification soon!!! I got an acceptance email from western about 10 minutes ago.

Hey congrats! I got my acceptance too!!!

Do you know where to find the declaration of acceptance form?

Alternate as well and I'm pretty ok with that haha

:hardy:

Last edited:
The Champagne is open, because I'M GOING TO VET SCHOOL!!!

Reactions: 2 users
It's so weird to me that Western gets back to you so early (compared to other schools) - I mean, I definitely am not complaining because I'm so happy/celebrating right now, but I would imagine a lot of us need to hear back from other schools before we can make a concrete *final* choice regarding acceptance to Western -- or other schools that notify this early.