Western University dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impeterle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody heard rumors of Western University in California opening up a dental school around 2009? I've heard this from a friend who interviewed at their osteopathic medicine school. I'm not sure if there's any validity to this, does anybody have any information?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really know how to feel about this news since there are already five schools in CA and a sixth one is going to really saturate the market. Maybe I am being stingy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember reading in the ADA news a few months ago about Midwestern University (in Glendale, AZ) opening up a new dental school in 2008. http://www.midwestern.edu/alumnipulse/glendale.asp#feature
Also a new school in North Carolina will be opening soon. I didn't know anything about another one in California by Western University though.

My uncle is a 3rd year MD student at Western. The rumors are true my friends. As far as dentistry becoming saturated...will never happen unless you move to a big city or happy valley Utah.

I was told that Midwestern University was going to open a dental school at their Illinois location (Downers Grove). An oral surgeon that I know who is involved with the MU medical school was telling me about it...maybe I just assumed he meant the Illinois location since we live in Illinois and I was completely oblivious to the fact there was an Arizon location until a minute ago.

Oh yeah, he was telling me that the school will be modeled off of Nova...whatever that means.

Since these schools will be new, do you guys think that the admission statistics will be lower that that of already established dental programs? In other terms, would the schools be easier to get into? this would make sense, wouldn't it?

What would a dental degree be from an osteopathic school: DDOS?, DODS?,
ODD? SODD?

My uncle is a 3rd year MD student at Western. The rumors are true my friends. As far as dentistry becoming saturated...will never happen unless you move to a big city or happy valley Utah.

They don't have an MD program.

Since these schools will be new, do you guys think that the admission statistics will be lower that that of already established dental programs? In other terms, would the schools be easier to get into? this would make sense, wouldn't it?

Maybe at first...but ASDOH is new and they're pretty tough to get into. REALLY tough.

Also, ASDOH parent univerisity awards DOs at their medical school...and ASDOH awards DMD. So none of that DODDS or whatever was said by a previous post.