Western University in Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I have two questions about this school:

1. Is the admission process rolling?

2. I've looked at the secondary application and it asks only for some information like courseworks, it is 5 pages, it does not ask any questions that need to be answered by an essay. But I was reading in one of the threads that 2009 applicants were talking about so many questions in Western Supplemental application, so I wonder may be I missed something. Can anybody answer my question?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard, Western doesn't have rolling admissions.

Western has a pretty lengthy secondary, and the 5 page document that you are talking about is probably the "Secondary Application for Admission."

Another thing you need to include in your application is the "Personal Questionaire Form" and that is a 4 page document full of short essay questions, which the previous posts were probably referring to.

Go here http://prospective.westernu.edu/pharmacy-pharmd/apply and check out the checklist with the five bullet points 3/4 down the page.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any one know if the if Western reviews the personal statement, supplemental questionnaire, letters of reference, pharmcas application all at the same time? or does each part get reviewed (possibly by different committee members) separately? I ask this because I want to make sure I am including enough information on my PS. I'm worried that a committee member reading my personal statement might think I am lacking something that was included in my supps/application. Thanks in advance.

The admission committee will look at everything in your application the same time. That is how they will determine who to invite for interview. Western has specificly looking for particular student who fits their program. I also want to advice everyone before submiting your application to go thru your transcript to match course requirement with the school. You have to have exactly the same course which they require. Otherwise, it is going to be waste of your supplemental application fee in addition to what you will pay for PharmCas.

Any one know if the if Western reviews the personal statement, supplemental questionnaire, letters of reference, pharmcas application all at the same time? or does each part get reviewed (possibly by different committee members) separately? I ask this because I want to make sure I am including enough information on my PS. I'm worried that a committee member reading my personal statement might think I am lacking something that was included in my supps/application. Thanks in advance.

it is not technically rolling, but in my opinion it doesnt hurt to submit your application early. even though it's not rolling in a sense that they start reading everyone at the same time, but those who turn it in first-their apps will be read first.

I have a question about Western's secondary application. Is it just me or is there an error.

On the bottom of page three where you fill in your classes it says:
Prerequisite courses may not be taken after the spring semester or spring quarter term 2009.

I looked up their 2009 application and it said the same thing.

Shouldn't this application say 2010 instead of 2009 because on the check list it says:
All prerequisite course work in progress must be completed no later than the 2010 spring semester or quarter.

I have a question about Western's secondary application. Is it just me or is there an error.

Prerequisite courses may not be taken after the spring semester or spring quarter term 2009.

Shouldn't this application say 2010 instead of 2009 because on the check list it says:
All prerequisite course work in progress must be completed no later than the 2010 spring semester or quarter.
Yeah I noticed that too. I'm almost 100% positive it's just an error.

How are you all interpreting this question on Western's supplemental?

.7. What are your strongest and weakest personal characteristics? How have these strength(s).. and weakness(s) helped or hindered you in the achievement of your goals?.

I am assuming since they specifically say personal characteristics.. it does not include skills and such? This question is so tough... this and the last question are keeping me from finishing this supplemental. If any one can clarify this for me I would appreciate it.

I turned in my supplemental for Western yesterday! I'm super nervous and I keep second-guessing myself... anyone else turn it in?

I hope all of you are doing very well in the process of your applications. I want to know about your ideas related to one of the questions in Western questionnair which is asking about working at the same time as schooling. What is your idea? Do you think working has a negative effect on the admission commitee?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if u could tell me where u found the 2009 application. I looked everywhere on line but cant find it
Thanks

I didnt say I wanted the 2010 application, Im looking for last years 2009

i think they updat their webiste annually and replace the old one with the new ones

Anyone hear anything yet about interviews for December? Look out its roughly about 1-3 weeks before the interview date.

Anyone hear anything yet about interviews for December? Look out its roughly about 1-3 weeks before the interview date.

I know!!! The suspense is killing me. I am praying to receive a phone call from them. :xf::luck:

Yeah, they call you to schedule an interview! I was called last year in December. It was around this time last year, that they called and invited me to the interview. Let's hope we hear something soon! :)

Followed by a call, they send you a formal interview invite via email.

Eeeekkk, I really want an interview from Western :xf:

I really do too...probably my first choice. I am from OC so it would be close to home, save some dough

Hi everyone, I'm currently a P1 at WesternU. If you guys need any help, or advices regarding to the application or interviewing process let me know. Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm currently a P1 at WesternU. If you guys need any help, or advices regarding to the application or interviewing process let me know. Good luck.

appriciate u for doing this, so how do u like the school and program so far? and would you give us some tips for interview ? is it one-one or group or..? do u know if they have preference on in-state applicant rather than out of state appl?

appriciate u for doing this, so how do u like the school and program so far? and would you give us some tips for interview ? is it one-one or group or..? do u know if they have preference on in-state applicant rather than out of state appl?

I am very happy with my decision to attend WesternU than to UCSF. I know UCSF is a big name school but I'm from the OC, and I really didn't want to leave home and SoCal. In terms of who's going to get the better job or the bigger paycheck after graduation is based on the connections you make while you're in school.
There is a huge change in the curriculum this year where expectations are raised to a whole different level. As with any professional school, you really need to focus, because your professors will ambush you with so much information and they are expecting you to retain everything. It's hardcore studying, I can guarantee that. People will start to look like zombies for sure after the 1st month because we study a lot. Besides academic we are also required to participate in health fairs, go to conferences, start our IPPE rotations early, so we've learned to managed and prioritize our schedules more. The best thing about WesternU is that it's not just going to class and seing strange people, but we have become a really close family of less than 120 students (some dropped). You will know everyone and everyone will know you. The professors are extremely nice and supportive, demanding and strict, but extremely helpful. They are available anytime so we have really good relationships with them.

Interview session consists of a faculty, and a P4 student and then there's you.
What they love to ask: **what do you know about WesternU, and why WesternU? If you are smart you will talk about their block system. WesternU is unique because of its block system. You should know both the advantages and disadvantages of the block system. WesternU is also big about teamwork so they will definitely ask you about your role in a team. Are you the leader type or not, why/why not, etc. Be honest because this question will be followed by more questions about teamwork. They also want to know about your hobbies, and yourself to see if you are different from everyone. And don't forget to ask them good questions! You should ask them about OSCEs, and WesternU's focus on clinical pharmacy, and the importance of patient counseling. Ask them about research opportunities at WesternU, and how it is preparing students for clinical and patient couseling! If you show interest in their curriculum, they will be very very very impressed.
Admissions said that they don't have a preference for in-state students but in my class I think there are only 2 people from out-of-state. Most of us are from SoCal and some NorCal.
I hope this will help you.

I am very happy with my decision to attend WesternU than to UCSF. I know UCSF is a big name school but I'm from the OC, and I really didn't want to leave home and SoCal. In terms of who's going to get the better job or the bigger paycheck after graduation is based on the connections you make while you're in school.
There is a huge change in the curriculum this year where expectations are raised to a whole different level. As with any professional school, you really need to focus, because your professors will ambush you with so much information and they are expecting you to retain everything. It's hardcore studying, I can guarantee that. People will start to look like zombies for sure after the 1st month because we study a lot. Besides academic we are also required to participate in health fairs, go to conferences, start our IPPE rotations early, so we've learned to managed and prioritize our schedules more. The best thing about WesternU is that it's not just going to class and seing strange people, but we have become a really close family of less than 120 students (some dropped). You will know everyone and everyone will know you. The professors are extremely nice and supportive, demanding and strict, but extremely helpful. They are available anytime so we have really good relationships with them.

What they love to ask: **what do you know about WesternU, and why WesternU? If you are smart you will talk about their block system. WesternU is unique because of its block system. You should know both the advantages and disadvantages of the block system. WesternU is also big about teamwork so they will definitely ask you about your role in a team. Are you the leader type or not, why/why not, etc. Be honest because this question will be followed by more questions about teamwork. They also want to know about your hobbies, and yourself to see if you are different from everyone. And don't forget to ask them good questions! You should ask them about OSCEs, and WesternU's focus on clinical pharmacy, and the importance of patient counseling. Ask them about research opportunities at WesternU, and how it is preparing students for clinical and patient couseling! If you show interest in their curriculum, they will be very very very impressed.
Admissions said that they don't have a preference for in-state students but in my class I think there are only 2 people from out-of-state. Most of us are from SoCal and some NorCal.
Thank you very much for your information!

As much as I like the idea of some 3 year programs at other schools... I already go to school in Pomona so it would be very nice to stay in the same area!!

Please post as soon as anyone starts getting interviews!!

their first interview is in dec. 12, and no one has heard from them yet?? :eek:

their first interview is in dec. 12, and no one has heard from them yet?? :eek:

everytime I email them they keep saying that they are receiving an overwhelming number of applications and that I will be notified if there are any updates.

This is what the Western wrote on its website

Admissions Process

To give you peace of mind, we will e-mail you when both your primary and secondary applications are received. Should you be invited to interview, you can expect to hear from us one to three weeks prior to the interview date for which you are selected.

really appriciate you for all helpful info!

Just got a phone call to interview too, but I had to postpone 'til Jan due to schedule conflict w/Sullivan interview.

Hi Yenli,
When is your interview at Sullivan?
Mine is 12/18

I got a phone call for an interview today. For Dec 12th! yay! Do you guys know is this the first interview date? Congrats to everyone!

:D

I got a phone call for an interview today. For Dec 12th! yay! Do you guys know is this the first interview date? Congrats to everyone!

:D

its the first interview. congrats! what time is your interview?

interview on the 12th

Last edited:
I'm wondering the same thing as Zero. When did everyone submit his/her supplemental?

My interview is at 9:30... and I think I submitted my supplemental in the middle of September.

does anyone know the other interview dates? :/ like, if Western hasn't contacted you by now is that basically a rejection.

Can someone educate me on the block system at Western Univ-Pharmacy program.... ??? whats so special abt it... what are the pros and cons?
thanks

does anyone know the other interview dates? :/ like, if Western hasn't contacted you by now is that basically a rejection.

Dont worry. My friend got called the day before the Jan interview was accepted. So there is still time for this interview slot. good luck!