Western University - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard back from the February 8th interview?
Yeah, I called them yesterday. The Dean had just sent down the official decisions. Should be coming in the mail in a few days...

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks all--continued thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
Hoping to finalize housing soon. Will be flying up from Texas on Spring Break.

Sweet I'm also trying to plan some time to fly up from Texas to find some housing. I've been seriously considering buying a motor home and renting an RV spot. Sounds like a much better idea than throwing it all to rent for four years. Same amenities as an apt., just a little smaller.

Reactions: 1 user
I just received my letter in the mail! Accepted c/o 2018!

I am so grateful to have the opportunity to attend! :) See you all in July!

Members don't see this ad :)
GopherFan14, It looks like you and I went through a very similar decision making process! It is such a pleasure knowing I will be able to meet you as a part of COMP-NW's c/o 2018! Congratulations to you, too! :)

Just got a missed call from Dr. Pham and he said the committee unanimously agreed! I feel so special :banana:

Does anyone know when the deposits are due? I haven't gotten a letter yet

Just got a missed call from Dr. Pham and he said the committee unanimously agreed! I feel so special :banana:

Does anyone know when the deposits are due? I haven't gotten a letter yet
March 15th! Congratulations grumpy97!

Hey can any 3rd years comment on the rotations? Are they mainly hospital based or clinic? And etc.

Hey can any 3rd years comment on the rotations? Are they mainly hospital based or clinic? And etc.

I believe it's actually a mix--you can chose a track that has more clinics or a track that has more hospitals.

Hey, is anyone else going for the HPSP?

N=1 will not be doing HPSP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also wondering if anyone knew why a lot of resources say to check out Indian Health programs (even people that know I am not Indian) for scholarships as well, but every time I go to the websites it appears you must be indian to apply. Just wondering if anyone has cracked that nut?

Thank you to the people who came out to interview at our school today. It was great meeting you all, and fun answering your questions. It helped rejuvenate me by reminding me how lucky I am to be here!
Good luck to you

Hey, can any current students comment on research opportunities? Thanks

I haven't started working on any research just yet, but many of my classmates have. I know that there are research opportunities, and that as a student here you would have a faculty advisor that can help you network and find something that interests you. Also, there are research opportunities where you can work in conjunction with people from other schools like OHSU.
I'm not sure if you have any other more specific questions about research, but even if you did I may not be able to answer. ;)

There are a lot of opportunities to do research here. Dr. Benninger, Mata, and Kisby tend to lead the way in the number of projects they have going. They are also great resources if you just need an advisor/mentor for your own project. The Medical Anatomy Center (MAC) of the school has actually just started a funding program called the Staff and Serpent Society where local physicians donate $2000 to fund a student to go to a conference to present the research that they have done. To get funded, you just have to get your abstract accepted by the conference, and the school works out travel, hotel, and registration. I have attended 2 conferences this past year and did not pay a penny for either one. The school is VERY supportive of the students wanting to do research and be recognized on national/international levels.

I haven't started working on any research just yet, but many of my classmates have. I know that there are research opportunities, and that as a student here you would have a faculty advisor that can help you network and find something that interests you. Also, there are research opportunities where you can work in conjunction with people from other schools like OHSU.
I'm not sure if you have any other more specific questions about research, but even if you did I may not be able to answer. ;)
There are a lot of opportunities to do research here. Dr. Benninger, Mata, and Kisby tend to lead the way in the number of projects they have going. They are also great resources if you just need an advisor/mentor for your own project. The Medical Anatomy Center (MAC) of the school has actually just started a funding program called the Staff and Serpent Society where local physicians donate $2000 to fund a student to go to a conference to present the research that they have done. To get funded, you just have to get your abstract accepted by the conference, and the school works out travel, hotel, and registration. I have attended 2 conferences this past year and did not pay a penny for either one. The school is VERY supportive of the students wanting to do research and be recognized on national/international levels.
Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. I couldn't find info on the website about research (maybe I didn't look hard enough) and never really asked on interview day.

Did anyone know how many students they take for the ISAC program? Have any current students on SDN done the program?

Did anyone know how many students they take for the ISAC program? Have any current students on SDN done the program?
I did ISAC last summer and really enjoyed it. There 16 of us, but I don't think we had hit any sort of limit yet.
Let me know what questions you have and I'll do my best to answer.

When do they usually let you know that you got into the ISAC program?

When do they usually let you know that you got into the ISAC program?
So the way I got in...
I was in the first interview group last year and mentioned during the interview and to Jeannie Davis that I was interested in doing ISAC.
I then emailed Jeannie to ask how to apply. For last year at least, she said emailing her to express interest was enough.
I didn't hear anything for months. I periodically emailed Jeannie to ask if there was any news as to whether I could do ISAC, and she told me that they were still in the process of organizing the ISAC course.
Eventually, I think around march or April although it may have been a little later, I was notified that I could do ISAC and when it started.
There was some paperwork I filled out scattered around in that timeline.

tl;dr
There isn't a "usual" time that you are notified, and it seems like they finalize/organize the ISAC program shortly before it actually starts. The BEST source of info would be to email Jeannie or Jess.

I just received my letter in the mail! Accepted c/o 2018!

I am so grateful to have the opportunity to attend! :) See you all in July!

Did you find out only by mail? it seems as though some acceptances are called and others hear only by mail?

Did you find out only by mail? it seems as though some acceptances are called and others hear only by mail?
Everyone gets notified by mail. I think only some get phone calls

Has anyone heard back from the March 8th interviews? I am feeling so impatient!

Well they usually meet the following Thursday after the interview, but from other people getting accepted on the thread it looks like the calls start the second Thursday and into the Monday of the next week. Just an observation :)

Well they usually meet the following Thursday after the interview, but from other people getting accepted on the thread it looks like the calls start the second Thursday and into the Monday of the next week. Just an observation :)

Thank you, helpful observation. I am just torn by the fact that sometimes they call and sometimes they just send a letter...

Thank you, helpful observation. I am just torn by the fact that sometimes they call and sometimes they just send a letter...

You can always email Jeanie if you have questions about the status of your application, she responds very quickly

Is there a dress code for classes and OMM?

Is there a dress code for classes and OMM?
Yeah, OMM dress code is shorts above the knee and an easily removed shirt for dudes and sports bra for the gals.
ECM usually has a professional dress with white coat policy.
Almost all other classes have no dress code

Yeah, OMM dress code is shorts above the knee and an easily removed shirt for dudes and sports bra for the gals.
ECM usually has a professional dress with white coat policy.
Almost all other classes have no dress code
Thanks

Uh Oh, I hope no one judges my non-athletic physique!

BTW, they are done interviewing so if you had not heard anything by now it is over. Cue music and dim the lights...

Has anyone heard anything from the March 8th interviews? From my understanding notifications should be made pretty soon.

Nope. My impression is notifications were sent out either Thursday or Friday last week by mail... So watch your mailboxes. Also, post if you get the mail bc I am am 90% sure my letter will get lost or seriously delayed in the mail... My mailman is forever giving my mail to neighbors and then it gets sent back...

Plus, it's spring break this week. If notice wasn't sent out last week it most likely won't be sent out until next week

My friend just got an interview invite today. Scheduled for next week!