Western University - Lebanon (COMP-NW) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I e-mailed [email protected] this morning bc I hadn't received anything. Apparently my counselor has been out. Another counselor stepped in and I got my award just now. I suggest e-mailing if you haven't heard anything! Then we can all have peace of mind that we'll at least be able to pay for school :p
Perfect! I just emailed them. Hopefully I hear something by tomorrow :)

Pulled off of the waitlist as of two weeks ago! Ultimately declined the offer for an acceptance elsewhere; hope it goes to one of you deserving folks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Im not sure if I am posting this correctly but I need some quick advice. I am moving up this fall to start with you all, and am trying to figure out housing from long-distance. I found a super cute little one bedroom in Corvallis for a steal of a price. Do you guys think that's too far to drive in every day to class? I live in LA and commute an hour one way right now ( I know ), so it doesn't seem that far to ME but I am also not in medical school right now, and don't have to study after work, hah. What do you guys think? Can any current students shed some advice on this? I'd appreciate it, I have to let the landlord know by Saturday. Thank you!

Hey guys! Im not sure if I am posting this correctly but I need some quick advice. I am moving up this fall to start with you all, and am trying to figure out housing from long-distance. I found a super cute little one bedroom in Corvallis for a steal of a price. Do you guys think that's too far to drive in every day to class? I live in LA and commute an hour one way right now ( I know ), so it doesn't seem that far to ME but I am also not in medical school right now, and don't have to study after work, hah. What do you guys think? Can any current students shed some advice on this? I'd appreciate it, I have to let the landlord know by Saturday. Thank you!

I was contemplating moving to Corvallis instead of Lebanon, and the drive didn't seem to bad to me (bout 20-30 min one way), I come from the Seattle/Tacoma metro area, so traffic is something I'm used to. Ultimately it just seemed to daunting to actually land a place in Corvallis due to OSU student snagging anything I was interested in within a day of seeing it. Lebanon appears to be a lot cheaper as well, we are going to be living in a 2 bed that costs about $950. If we wanted that in Corvallis we were looking at more like $1300. Corvallis does appear to be a bit more of a cultural hub than Lebanon... My partner and I were a little turned off by the confederate flags being sold and worn as capes at the Lebanon Strawberry Festival the other weekend.

Reactions: 1 user
I was contemplating moving to Corvallis instead of Lebanon, and the drive didn't seem to bad to me (bout 20-30 min one way), I come from the Seattle/Tacoma metro area, so traffic is something I'm used to. Ultimately it just seemed to daunting to actually land a place in Corvallis due to OSU student snagging anything I was interested in within a day of seeing it. Lebanon appears to be a lot cheaper as well, we are going to be living in a 2 bed that costs about $950. If we wanted that in Corvallis we were looking at more like $1300. Corvallis does appear to be a bit more of a cultural hub than Lebanon... My partner and I were a little turned off by the confederate flags being sold and worn as capes at the Lebanon Strawberry Festival the other weekend.

Wow...... seriously?isn't Oregon more of a liberal state?

Thank you for the response. It's funny because I feel like everything I'm finding in Lebanon is more expensive than Corvallis! Glad you guys found a spot :)

Wow...... seriously?isn't Oregon more of a liberal state?

Thank you for the response. It's funny because I feel like everything I'm finding in Lebanon is more expensive than Corvallis! Glad you guys found a spot :)
Oregon is a mixed bag, some recent digging has revealed that part of Oregon's founding was associated with creating a white sanctuary state. Similar to Washington, Oregon'a rural areas are pretty conservative, and will have residents proudly displaying their support for the confederacy. I grew up in rural WA, but have lived in the city for so long I kind of forgot about it. This is also not a condemnation of all these rural communities, there a lot of good open minded and kind people in rural OR/WA. But, just as there are people in Tacoma I wouldn't really want to associate too much with, there are also people in Lebanon I may want to stay clear of. Then again, in my previous line of work (mental health counseling) and my future as a physician, I will always try to make inroads with those that need help regardless of apparent differences, but also be mindful of my safety, and how I/my family fit in the culture I am surrounded by.

Corvallis is Lib, and Lebs is mixed.
To those living in Corvo, good luck you're going to get annoyed quick!

Pulled off the waitlist a few weeks ago! Made the switch to stay in Oregon. Currently live in Eugene and know the area well. I agree Corvallis would be better, but commute times not worth it for me personally. Lebanon won't have a lot going on, but it is beautiful there.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! Is there any current WesternU student attending the Lebanon campus? I have received an II invite and have a question :) Thank you!

Hello! Is there any current WesternU student attending the Lebanon campus? I have received an II invite and have a question :) Thank you!
Im a first year here currently if that helps at all. I can try to answer your question!

Quick question for you guys. A bit premature because my interview isn't until next month, but COMP-lebanon is probably my top choice right now based off of what I know.

My SO is coming with me should I get an acceptance anywhere, and she's concerned about her employment options given the relatively small-town associations DO schools seem to have. Does COMP require you to spend a significant amount of days per week on campus? I'm trying to identify places around the schools I'm interviewing at that I could commute from that wouldn't be a terrible drive for me, but would allow my SO to be closer to bigger cities. Right now we're looking at Eugene or Salem for this school, but I'm wondering how feasible it is to live ~30-45 mins away from campus since that's a drive that would definitely add up, and I've heard COMP requires more on-campus learning than most other schools. I'm not even sure if there are livable towns that are a good compromise between lebanon and eugene/salem.

Quick question for you guys. A bit premature because my interview isn't until next month, but COMP-lebanon is probably my top choice right now based off of what I know.

My SO is coming with me should I get an acceptance anywhere, and she's concerned about her employment options given the relatively small-town associations DO schools seem to have. Does COMP require you to spend a significant amount of days per week on campus? I'm trying to identify places around the schools I'm interviewing at that I could commute from that wouldn't be a terrible drive for me, but would allow my SO to be closer to bigger cities. Right now we're looking at Eugene or Salem for this school, but I'm wondering how feasible it is to live ~30-45 mins away from campus since that's a drive that would definitely add up, and I've heard COMP requires more on-campus learning than most other schools. I'm not even sure if there are livable towns that are a good compromise between lebanon and eugene/salem.
There is a couple of my classmates that live in Eugene, some in Corvallis, and even one in the Portland area (though I don't recommend that). You should definitely check out Corvallis as far as living situation is concerned as that isn't as bad of a drive as the other places. You could also check out Albany.

Do you guys know what this means? So are they reviewing my materials or what?

SMK5SYM.png