Western University - Lebanon (COMP-NW) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would he just resend it then to AACOM and then it will automatically get forwarded to the schools? I wanna figure everything out before I send him an email about it.

Thanks

I used interfolio . You can send a new link through AACOMAS but once it's received you have to go in and push the "send updates" button.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I used interfolio . You can send a new link through AACOMAS but once it's received you have to go in and push the "send updates" button.

Thanks for the help.. sucks that this is holding back some of my apps, but c'est la vie I guess..

So apparently the physician couldn't figure out how to scan the letter and thus the letterhead and signature couldn't be added. Is there a way to scan the letters through AACOMAS or do I have to use interfolio for that? I would imagine there would be some way to add a letter head for LOR's submitted through AACOMAS right? I have never used Interfolio and don't know how that would work...

Thanks for the help everyone I dont really know who to ask about this stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently the AACOMAS is preventing me from sending a new link to the physician. It says "You have already send a request to this email address". Anyone know what I should do? I am kinda starting to stress out a bit hahah.
Thanks again

Did you not submit LOR from a physician?

I did, but the letter didnt have a letterhead. I guess he was unable to figure out how to scan the letter so he wasn't sure how to get the letterhead and signature on it? I dont know it's tough to tell since I am unable to see what the request looks like from his end.

In any case I just created an Interfolio account and am having him submit it through that which I will individually send to all of the schools. Im crossing my fingers that he will be able to find a way to scan the document in or find a way to get a letterhead and signature on it.

Question...I received my secondary a while about 2 weeks ago but have been out of town and unable to complete it in the 10 days before the processing will be delayed...is this an issue like should I call admissions? Or should it be okay if I submit it in the next few days?

Question...I received my secondary a while about 2 weeks ago but have been out of town and unable to complete it in the 10 days before the processing will be delayed...is this an issue like should I call admissions? Or should it be okay if I submit it in the next few days?

I doubt calling would help. You should just submit when you can.

I will not be able to attend the pizza social on September 9th. Will that be to my detriment?

I received an II from this school as well, but unlike the Pomona campus where they had a digital sign up sheet I had to choose my interview date via email. It's been a couple of days and I haven't received any confirmation yet. Has anyone else experienced this? Does it just take a few days to process?

Hey guys,

how long after your AACOMAS was verified did you receive a secondary? My application got verified on Monday and I have not heard anything from them...

Members don't see this ad :)
In the secondary we are asked for clinical experiences. My problem is that most of mine are with MDs. I have shadowed one DO, but not enough that he would really remember me well. Any thoughts on what I should do? I have talked to many DOs, but not shadowed much. I'm looking into doing that more as I know I should have already done, but any ideas how to fill this out in the meantime?

II just now!!! September 10! I was complete not quite 2 weeks ago. So excited!!

Is my application not complete if I haven't received an email? On the portal it says "Application materials received." Also, are the II phone calls?

Is my application not complete if I haven't received an email? On the portal it says "Application materials received." Also, are the II phone calls?

I got an email that said my application is "ready for review" and the body of the email said it was complete. I also had a 'received' marked on all my materials on the online portal. The II was sent via email.

I got an email that said my application is "ready for review" and the body of the email said it was complete. I also had a 'received' marked on all my materials on the online portal. The II was sent via email.
Thank you! Very helpful!

Reactions: 1 user
For those who applied to both campuses, did you use the same answer for the "While shadowing an osteopathic physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?" question? I know we are not supposed to use the same answers for both applications, but does it also apply to non-school specific questions?

For those who applied to both campuses, did you use the same answer for the "While shadowing an osteopathic physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?" question? I know we are not supposed to use the same answers for both applications, but does it also apply to non-school specific questions?

I didn't apply to both campuses, so I can't say from experience, although I would probably use the same answer in both for that particular question, seeing as your answer wouldn't really change between campuses. I guess you could reword parts of it if you're really concerned. Just my two cents.

Anyways, I really wanted to say I love your account name/photo. :D

Reactions: 1 users
My application status says that I need a signed physician letter on letterhead. What is the easiest way to have my DO letter writer re-send his letter so that they will receive it? AACOMAS will not let me create another letter request... I'd rather avoid paying for Interfolio just to submit one letter.

Any get this e-mail? Is this a nice way of saying that I'm on hold? Why would they use the word "remains" instead of "is" if it were not on hold/placed on the side?

"This is an update regarding the status of your application to Western University of Health Sciences, COMP-Northwest.

Your application remains under consideration by the Admissions Committee. You will be contacted by the Admissions Office if your status changes. Please keep us informed of any changes in your contact information. Also if you have any information that you would like added to your application file (i.e., completed summer course work, completed bachelor’s degree, change in course work in progress, etc.), please contact your admissions counselor."

Any get this e-mail? Is this a nice way of saying that I'm on hold? Why would they use the word "remains" instead of "is" if it were not on hold/placed on the side?

"This is an update regarding the status of your application to Western University of Health Sciences, COMP-Northwest.

Your application remains under consideration by the Admissions Committee. You will be contacted by the Admissions Office if your status changes. Please keep us informed of any changes in your contact information. Also if you have any information that you would like added to your application file (i.e., completed summer course work, completed bachelor’s degree, change in course work in progress, etc.), please contact your admissions counselor."

I just got that email and I have an interview scheduled in a week... So probably doesn't mean you're on hold. But I'm also wondering if I should call... Haha

I just got that email and I have an interview scheduled in a week... So probably doesn't mean you're on hold. But I'm also wondering if I should call... Haha

Although I did get a confirmation for my interview time, so I honestly don't think I should bug them... Did anyone else with an interview scheduled also get this email?

I might try emailing them, and if it seems like I'm the only one with an interview who also got this email, then I'll call on Tuesday.

Got this email too! I think it might be a nicer hold email. I was on hold last year but it was different wording in last years email

Good luck to everyone interviewing today. Also check out the Growler Cafe... So good

Here are my thoughts on my interview day.

1. 2 MMI. I will say that be yourself. (I'm not going to talk about the specifics)

2. The formal interview was relaxed and a great opportunity to showcase yourself.

3.The student ambassadors seemed a little unorganized during the building tour but they were honest about their experiences with the school.

4. Lebanon is a cool town and the school itself is a great building with great community outreach.

Be yourself! Coming off incredibly anxious will only trip you up.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Here are my thoughts on my interview day.

1. 2 MMI. I will say that be yourself. (I'm not going to talk about the specifics)

2. The formal interview was relaxed and a great opportunity to showcase yourself.

3.The student ambassadors seemed a little unorganized during the building tour but they were honest about their experiences with the school.

4. Lebanon is a cool town and the school itself is a great building with great community outreach.

Be yourself! Coming off incredibly anxious will only trip you up.

Good luck everyone!

Are most of the lectures recorded from Pomona? When I took a tour of their campus the guide gave me the impression that lectures were for the most part not mandatory.

Are most of the lectures recorded from Pomona? When I took a tour of their campus the guide gave me the impression that lectures were for the most part not mandatory.

Lectures aren't mandatory except for OMM and anatomy. 60/40 streaming to lectures.

Also no dress code policy

Anyone from the interview on Sep 10th hear back yet? (I know they said 10-15 days, but I realized after the fact they didn't specify work days or regular days... all those dang technicalities :p )

Anyone from the interview on Sep 10th hear back yet? (I know they said 10-15 days, but I realized after the fact they didn't specify work days or regular days... all those dang technicalities :p )

Haven't heard anything yet. From what Jeannie said, the admissions committee just met yesterday. Still has to go to the Dean for final approval. My prediction is that it will be the end of next week when we hear something.

Last edited:

They specified 10-15 business days

So I FINALLY got my secondary. Forgot I even applied here. Is it even worth sending in at this point? I mean, I can get it done and sent today but isn't it really late?

Not too late at all! The first interview was on the 09/10/2016. You're still applying early!

Hi all... this message is mostly directed towards current students, possibly also to those who have already visited the campus and gone through the interviewing process. I'm looking to gather more information on Western U in Lebanon, pros and cons, your favorite and least favorite things about the school. (I have read all the information from the admissions webpage but am trying to get a sense of what students think). Some specific questions...

-What is the atmosphere on campus and in town like for gay/queer students?
-For current students, how have your experiences in clinical rotations been in general?
-What is the atmosphere like at the school? The admissions webpage advertises a strong community feel - is this generally the case?
-Are there a number of students with families and kids? Does Western U and Lebanon seem like a good fit for these type of students?
-Do most students live in Lebanon or do they commute from surrounding towns? (i.e. Corvallis?)
-Are students able to maintain a decent work/life balance? (I realize no med student has a great work/life balance... just trying to get a general sense if this school is above or below "average" compared to other med schools)

Feel free to answer any or all of none of these. Anything students would like to share about their experience would be very much appreciated!

what's the best way to get here for an interview?

*i live no where near portland and will have to fly at least part of the way

Last edited:

Portland Airport (PDX) is a large international airport. It's about 2 hours from the school, but you will have a lot more options going through there.

Fly to PDX and drive down I-5 for 1.5 hours to either Lebanon or Corvallis. Air B&B is your best friend.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi there :)

For the letters of recommendation, one of my recommenders taught me in an upper division Bio course (Cell and Developmental Biology).. will that fulfill the requirement even though it's not technically one of the pre-reqs?? Thank you!

Hi there :)

For the letters of recommendation, one of my recommenders taught me in an upper division Bio course (Cell and Developmental Biology).. will that fulfill the requirement even though it's not technically one of the pre-reqs?? Thank you!

ImageUploadedBySDN1474575599.674313.jpg

This is straight from their website; doesn't matter in the slightest.

The local hotels will often give you a discount if you say it's for the university. I got one at the Quality inn and that was in albany only 10-15minutes from the school

How long after submitting the primary app did you guys receive a secondary? I got verified last Thursday and haven't heard a peep from them or WesternU in pomona.

How long after submitting the primary app did you guys receive a secondary? I got verified last Thursday and haven't heard a peep from them or WesternU in pomona.

It took a while for me too and then it randomly showed us

Hi NKinder.
My Primary was sent to them September 6th. My Secondary invite was given September 21. I checked their page and it seems they do some screening before sending out secondary invites. On a stats sheet they received 2,612 primary applications and invited 974 for secondaries for 2017 class.
302 interview invites, 204 offers, 105 seats. (Lebanon WesternU)
For class of 2018 the ratios were similar but with higher amounts of primaries received and secondaries invited.
Hope it helps give you ideas of what to expect.

Last edited:
Hi NKinder.
My Primary was sent to them September 6th. My Secondary invite was given September 21. I checked their page and it seems they do some screening before sending out secondary invites. On a stats sheet they received 2,612 primary applications and invited 974 for secondaries for 2017 class.
302 interview invites, 204 offers, 105 seats. (Lebanon WesternU)
For class of 2018 the ratios were similar but with higher amounts of primaries received and secondaries invited.
Hope it helps give you ideas of what to expect.

Thanks! Have heard back from 20 out of 25 schools so was just curious if they took a bit longer.