Western University - Lebanon (COMP-NW) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you interview here, are you being considered for both the pomona and lebanon campus?

Each school utilizes a separate application and interview. This was reiterated at the interview for anyone who was still curious.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Interview on 10/22 went great. Really hoping to get in, top choice school!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can COMP-NW students please pm me? I have couple questions that I want to ask :)

Thanks!

Hey, second year here. The curriculum is systems-based, starting out with anatomy and then biochem, infectious disease, blood and lymph, etc (currently in renal now). I would say we have more classes streamed from Pomona, but our professors in Pomona are pretty accessible. We have plenty of faculty up here who also teach and stream down to Pomona. We also have OMM and ECM every week. In ECM we have standardized patient encounters and apply what we learn in systems to a clinical setting.

Our class is VERY cohesive and tight-knit. It's a beautiful thing. Lebanon is slowly growing- we just got a coffee shop that's open past 5 pm (woo) and cooler places like Portland, Eugene, and Corvallis aren't too far away- I'm able to go home to Portland about once a month. Honestly, you might just spend all your time at school and not ever notice that you're in a town at all. The area in general is great if you like local produce and/or hiking and/or waterfalls and/or beautiful sunsets.

If you have more questions, feel free to pm me (so it notifies me via email)-I just happened to randomly check this site. Good luck everyone!

Just wondering if you or other students are bothered by the streamed lectures? Is that fairly common in DO education, as in COMP- Pomona has them as well?

Just wondering if you or other students are bothered by the streamed lectures? Is that fairly common in DO education, as in COMP- Pomona has them as well?

I can't speak for other DO schools, but I haven't heard any complaints about the streamed lectures. The instructors do a good job of remaining accessible and answering questions. Also, a good majority of our class, including myself, watch lectures from home at 1.5-2x speed.

I'll see you guys there in August!!! ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Admissions never answer their phone :( I've been trying to get a hold of them for 3 days.

Interviewed 10/22 and accepted. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the acceptance offer letter with all the dates and stuff?

Hey everybody! I have an interview invitation and am trying to figure out which date works best from me. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the transportation situation. Did you fly into Eugene and rent a car? Any recommendations for keeping the costs fairly minimal? Thanks in advance!

Hey everybody! I have an interview invitation and am trying to figure out which date works best from me. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the transportation situation. Did you fly into Eugene and rent a car? Any recommendations for keeping the costs fairly minimal? Thanks in advance!

I flew into Portland, rented a car from Enterprise, drove to Corvallis and stayed in a AirBnB. Total cost, excluding the plane ticket, was roughly $250.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, does anyone know what time the Interview will end at? I will be flying out from Portland so want to know a good time that I could leave, drive to Portland and safely be on time for my flight back.

Hey, does anyone know what time the Interview will end at? I will be flying out from Portland so want to know a good time that I could leave, drive to Portland and safely be on time for my flight back.

I remember they let us out early, I can't recall the exact time though. I want to say it was before 3.

On the website I see now it says 4 pm. What time would you recommend I book a flight back from Portland to be safe? The last Direct flight I could get departs at 5:55 P.M.

On the website I see now it says 4 pm. What time would you recommend I book a flight back from Portland to be safe? The last Direct flight I could get departs at 5:55 P.M.

If they still let you out early, I'd say that should be fine as it's a 1.5 hour drive to PDX from Lebanon. Even if you get out at 4 on the dot, if you drive like you're destined to be somewhere and get through TSA fast enough, you could still make that 5:55 flight.

If they still let you out early, I'd say that should be fine as it's a 1.5 hour drive to PDX from Lebanon. Even if you get out at 4 on the dot, if you drive like you're destined to be somewhere and get through TSA fast enough, you could still make that 5:55 flight.

Thank You!

the drive up to Portland from Lebanon between 4-5:30pm would be right during rush hour traffic, which is absolutely awful up in Portland especially on i205 up to the airport. I would suggest picking a later flight if you have the option!

Submitted my secondary app two weeks ago. No interview love. Anyone know how late the interview cycle goes? How long it takes to receive an interview?

Submitted my secondary app two weeks ago. No interview love. Anyone know how late the interview cycle goes? How long it takes to receive an interview?

It took approx 1 month from secondary app submittal to receive II.

I've been complete since 10/6 and haven't heard a peep. Anyone else in a similar boat??

submitted secondary 8/5. Just now got the II. However, RVU snatched me up already, so I will decline.

Just a couple quick questions for current students: How are the clinical years set up? How often are you away on rotations and where are the locations where clinical rotations taught? Are they mostly taught on campus or off campus? etc... I only did a quick scan of the website as I plan to apply here next cycle but if anyone else has a link to this info, I'd greatly appreciate it!

II here. From MI, that drive might be brutal.

Thank You!
What day of the week is your interview? I live in the Portland area, and I would recommend scheduling a later flight. Rush hour starts at 3pm... So the chances of you making it to the airport in time [assuming the interview day ends at 4pm (the interview day ended at about 1:30 today)], considering you have to take the 205 to get to the airport. Just weighing in here because the traffic slows things down more than you'd expect. I'd say like a minimum of 2 hours from Lebanon to the airport during the evening.

What day of the week is your interview? I live in the Portland area, and I would recommend scheduling a later flight. Rush hour starts at 3pm... So the chances of you making it to the airport in time [assuming the interview day ends at 4pm (the interview day ended at about 1:30 today)], considering you have to take the 205 to get to the airport. Just weighing in here because the traffic slows things down more than you'd expect. I'd say like a minimum of 2 hours from Lebanon to the airport during the evening.

Hey Fettywap,

My interview is on a Saturday. I also talked to admissions and they informed me that we would finish by 2:30 P.M. latest so things worked out. Are you a current student?

I received a secondary last night after my primary was verified this past week. I'm pretty late so I will be submitting tonight or tomorrow. Good luck to everyone interviewing soon!

Hey Fettywap,

My interview is on a Saturday. I also talked to admissions and they informed me that we would finish by 2:30 P.M. latest so things worked out. Are you a current student?
Ah Saturday. You'll be in good shape then! Nope. I'm an applicant as well, I just live in Wilsonville, so I'm familiar with how the highways look around Portland. Good luck with your interview!

Can anyone comment on the best option to get from the Eugene airport to the hotel? Seems like the shuttles (Omni) and the cabs are relatively expensive - around 100. Any cheaper methods?

anyone interviewing 12/3?

anyone interviewing 12/3?
yup. So what are you doing...? flying into PDX and then taking a rental? Eugene then rental? Taxi seems like a waste (minimum of 100 for a one way...). Also where do you plan on staying - I'm doing Best western since its like a 5 min walk from the university. Thoughts? If you fly into Eugene maybe we can split a car if you want...

Ill be driving down from Seattle and staying at my buddy's apartment. My question though, are we expecting to hear back about our post-interview status before the AACOMAS deposit deadline?

Also 12/3 here! Will be flying into Portland and driving down! Are you guys landing in Portland too?

Ill be driving down from Seattle and staying at my buddy's apartment. My question though, are we expecting to hear back about our post-interview status before the AACOMAS deposit deadline?

Dang. Flying into eugene and staying at the boulder inn.

Isnt that deadli e only foe people who have at least 1 acceptance?

Check your portals, people!!!