Western University of Health Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
overall gpa: 3.3
prereq gpa: 3.0

Lots of volunteer experience though so I believe that helped my app. stand out a little.

Members don't see this ad.

congrats blu00s, good luck and See you there.

Same to you although we're only one foot inside the door. Let's hope we can ace the interview process, which i am really worried about because my other interviews have been unsuccessful (got waitlisted :()

Same to you although we're only one foot inside the door. Let's hope we can ace the interview process, which i am really worried about because my other interviews have been unsuccessful (got waitlisted :()

I'm really worried too b/c this is my only interview for the year. I need lots of preperation and ....LUCKS. We can do this blue00s. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello potential pharmacy students!:D I will be one of your hosts for the April 12th interviews. Don't worry, we have a really informal process of simply getting to know you. I hope to meet all of you there. My name is Mike Wang and I'm a 4th year student. Please feel free to ask me any questions during the interview session.

Hello potential pharmacy students!:D I will be one of your hosts for the April 12th interviews. Don't worry, we have a really informal process of simply getting to know you. I hope to meet all of you there. My name is Mike Wang and I'm a 4th year student. Please feel free to ask me any questions during the interview session.

He is right. I felt so comfortable at my interview at Western. It seemed like I had just met 2 really nice people and we were all getting to know each other.

are they still calling people next week to interview

Thanks Mike.

one quick question. Is it ok/to bring family members with you? They don't have to be there (inside)

did any one create a facebook group for the class of 2012?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Mike.

one quick question. Is it ok/to bring family members with you? They don't have to be there (inside)

Yes, that's fine. You can have them there for support. Good luck.

i'll see you there.

for those of you put on the on-hold status and interviewed already, have you heard anything yet?

I just received a call at 10:00 a.m. in the morning today for this weekend's interview. Yay! So last minute, but I'm psyched, lol. :D

me too! i got a call yesterday morning! Good luck everyone, and hope to see you on saturday! :)

me too! i got a call yesterday morning! Good luck everyone, and hope to see you on saturday! :)

Hi, Congrats! I am still waiting! Do you mind sharing your stats?

for those of you put on the on-hold status and interviewed already, have you heard anything yet?

no i havent heard anything yet. I just updated my winter grades. dont know whether it will make any difference.

Western told me that they won't look at our winter grades! =(
no i havent heard anything yet. I just updated my winter grades. dont know whether it will make any difference.

But I was just wondering if Western's Pharm.D program has events/parties every so often.... like ones that are hosted at clubs and what not?

Can someone please reply that attends Western. Thanks

:hardy:

Theres usuallly emails about club events and stuff for the class, with other classes. Usually there's a banquet at the end of the year, but that depends from class to class. There have been several social events with USC Pharmacy this past year. =0)

Theres usuallly emails about club events and stuff for the class, with other classes. Usually there's a banquet at the end of the year, but that depends from class to class. There have been several social events with USC Pharmacy this past year. =0)

thank you.

No word yet, but then I think they said we'd be re-reviewed after 4/18, so there's still another week to go.
[Got accepted to Touro today, but I'd rather go to Western, closer to home. So I get to drop that big deposit on Touro and wait for Western to give me the nod.]

no interview invite from western...ooooooooooooo well

I didn't get an invite from Western either. I have not heard anything from them since I submitted my application. All I got was a code to go online to see if anything is needed to be submitted but they have received everything. What's really weird is that I have no hold letter either. I swear they might throw away my application or something like that:D. Otherwise, at least a rejection letter wouldn't hurt. Oh well, byebye to Western.

I didn't get an invite from Western either. I have not heard anything from them since I submitted my application. All I got was a code to go online to see if anything is needed to be submitted but they have received everything. What's really weird is that I have no hold letter either. I swear they might throw away my application or something like that:D. Otherwise, at least a rejection letter wouldn't hurt. Oh well, byebye to Western.

Yep I haven't heard anything either, I didn't even get that Banweb thing or whatever it's called. Oh well, I called them about a month ago and they said my app was being reviewed. I was enrolled in a speech class and was only taking it for Western so I ended up dropping it. Didn't want to take it for no reason. Good thing I did. Oh well, byebye Western :rolleyes:.

And congrats to those of you who have been accepted :banana:

No word yet, but then I think they said we'd be re-reviewed after 4/18, so there's still another week to go.
[Got accepted to Touro today, but I'd rather go to Western, closer to home. So I get to drop that big deposit on Touro and wait for Western to give me the nod.]

Hi, congratulation, Zillko. Take Touro and give more spot for me at Western U.:):). Just kidding.

Hi, congratulation, Zillko. Take Touro and give more spot for me at Western U.:):). Just kidding.
It is tempting just to be able to move forward and focus my efforts, but there's only a week or two to wait and see, then I can make the decision.

It is tempting just to be able to move forward and focus my efforts, but there's only a week or two to wait and see, then I can make the decision.

Do you mean that we will know the final decision in two weeks.

Do you mean that we will know the final decision in two weeks.
The impression I got from the letter was that they would be re-reviewing the 'hold' apps after April 18, and decide whether to offer you one of the remaining seats (if there are any) or place you on the waitlist, or gasp, reject you if they have enough to fill what they consider a reasonable waitlist.

Bottom line is that you will know more or less where you stand, no more 'hold' list. UoP was pretty quick in their re-evaluation, so I'd expect that we should hear something by the end of April.

That was a great interview. I met 5 people who were already accepted to other programs though. And there are apparently 60 seats open. That would only be ~15 people an interview.

yea, i know some people (sdn'ers) who went to the interview knowing that they were not going to attend western if they were to be accepted.

i don't understand why they'd go in the first place..maybe they were neglected as children and need acceptance whenever they can get it?..not sure. in any case...its immature, arrogant and a waste of time of the adcoms...not to mention they take up interview slots from people who really want to go to that school.

(yes, i'm bitter because i didn't get an interview there...but i think i have a valid argument)

That was a great interview. I met 5 people who were already accepted to other programs though. And there are apparently 60 seats open. That would only be ~15 people an interview.

yea, i know some people (sdn'ers) who went to the interview knowing that they were not going to attend western if they were to be accepted.

i don't understand why they'd go in the first place..maybe they were neglected as children and need acceptance whenever they can get it?..not sure. in any case...its immature, arrogant and a waste of time of the adcoms...not to mention they take up interview slots from people who really want to go to that school.

(yes, i'm bitter because i didn't get an interview there...but i think i have a valid argument)

No it isn't. I completely disagree with your thought on this. People do this all the time, not only for pharmacy but for fields and jobs unrelated to health/science. This isn't the first time and this definitely won't be the last time either. Furthermore, being the last interview (in California) do you really expect to see everyone interviewing there without an acceptance? You can't automatically discount those with acceptances as "immature, arrogant and wasting the adcoms' time."

If someone is invited for an interview, no one has the right to question or criticize them for attending/ not attending that interview. You're probably just upset and venting; I can see why you're thinking badly of those who did, but... you just can't.

Maybe you’re right…I mean, I understand if people want to keep their options open. But the point I was trying to make is…I don’t understand the rationale in someone going through the interview process when a person knows for a fact that he/she will not be attending that school…is it for the interview experience? Experience that they’ve already had?....or..why?

And im sorry about my first post..i was rude…but im just wondering why they would take up a slot knowing they will not attend?….and..as a human being…I have a right to question whatever I want (right?). A rational human being would have the ability to answer a simple question…

No it isn't. I completely disagree with your thought on this. People do this all the time, not only for pharmacy but for fields and jobs unrelated to health/science. This isn't the first time and this definitely won't be the last time either. Furthermore, being the last interview (in California) do you really expect to see everyone interviewing there without an acceptance? You can't automatically discount those with acceptances as "immature, arrogant and wasting the adcoms' time."

If someone is invited for an interview, no one has the right to question or criticize them for attending/ not attending that interview. You're probably just upset and venting; I can see why you're thinking badly of those who did, but... you just can't.

Maybe you’re right…I mean, I understand if people want to keep their options open. But the point I was trying to make is…I don’t understand the rationale in someone going through the interview process when a person knows for a fact that he/she will not be attending that school…is it for the interview experience? Experience that they’ve already had?....or..why?

And im sorry about my first post..i was rude…but im just wondering why they would take up a slot knowing they will not attend?….and..as a human being…I have a right to question whatever I want (right?). A rational human being would have the ability to answer a simple question…

I think it's because there's always that unknown, something that we couldn't see on SDN or the school website. Maybe the friendliness of the students, the professors, or the campus that could make someone change their mind and see beyond the 55,000/yr projected tuition+expense.

I FINALLY got the rejection letter from Western. I wish they would have just rejected me from the start...instead of making me wait until April (I applied back in late-Aug, early Sept).

I FINALLY got the rejection letter from Western. I wish they would have just rejected me from the start...instead of making me wait until April (I applied back in late-Aug, early Sept).

sorry to hear that, esp from a fellow anteater.
just a tip, try calling western in june or later. Ask them to review your application, see where your weak points are. They're very good about doing that. Nicest people i've talked to. I did that last year and made sure to work on the weak points they mentioned. :thumbup:
also, if you get the chance to visit the campus, or go on a campus tour, that helps your app too, even if just a little bit. They told me to mention that I have visited the campus on my essay question.

sorry to hear that, esp from a fellow anteater.
just a tip, try calling western in june or later. Ask them to review your application, see where your weak points are. They're very good about doing that. Nicest people i've talked to. I did that last year and made sure to work on the weak points they mentioned. :thumbup:
also, if you get the chance to visit the campus, or go on a campus tour, that helps your app too, even if just a little bit. They told me to mention that I have visited the campus on my essay question.

Thanks...but I'm not going to reapply. I'm already taking this year off to work full-time as a tech...

As of right now, I'll be going to Touro in August...unless UOP pulls me off the waitlist. :D

I concur and totally agree with you. People accepted have the right to go to an interview they were invited for and my reasons are personal. It is because I spent effort/time/energy/sweat and a lot if thinking (brain power) in my pharmacy application questionnaires as well as paying for the application fee that if invited, I reserve the right to go to the interview even though I was accepted elsewhere. Overall, don't blame those that were invited to an interview, blame the school for not inviting those of you that were all deserving for one. Good LUCK....

I concur and totally agree with you. People accepted have the right to go to an interview they were invited for and my reasons are personal. It is because I spent effort/time/energy/sweat and a lot if thinking (brain power) in my pharmacy application questionnaires as well as paying for the application fee that if invited, I reserve the right to go to the interview even though I was accepted elsewhere. Overall, don't blame those that were invited to an interview, blame the school for not inviting those of you that were all deserving for one. Good LUCK....

I agree with you and esp. on the last point. Don't blame those who were invited because they possess certain qualifications that interest the adcom. They absolutely have the right to decide whether they want to come to the interview or not regardless of the reason being.

Goink,

I agreed with you but these comments did change my opinion. If people are sincere about keeping their options open that is kosher. When one cat wears air jordons with his suit that is another.

There were 1800 apps this year so those who did not get invited don't feel defeated.

Yea, everyone here has good points. But I don't think im getting my point across…see, I try to have really good reason for doing stuff (whatever that may be).. and so, for example, If I were to have gotten accepted to my first choice (and already found housing, etc.), I would not go through the time and effort of getting dressed-up to spend a day at a school that I know I will not be attending (and yes, I might've spent time and effort on the application, but my final goal was to get accepted to a program of my choice, not necessarily to go through every interview that is granted to me). Now, I completely understand if people want to keep their options open, but other than that…I simply do not understand the reason. Maybe I've been reading too much ayn rand.

Thanks...but I'm not going to reapply. I'm already taking this year off to work full-time as a tech...

As of right now, I'll be going to Touro in August...unless UOP pulls me off the waitlist. :D
Depending on how things work out I may see you at either Touro or UoP anteater07 (assuming I don't get into Western <g>).
UCI, BS ICS, 1986

is it kind of weird that i received an interview from western and midwestern (chicago) and haven't heard a single word from touro? should i call them to ask them about my application status? :confused:

is it kind of weird that i received an interview from western and midwestern (chicago) and haven't heard a single word from touro? should i call them to ask them about my application status? :confused:

yeh, i think you should definately call them to see what your status is. because it will make you feel much better. Best of Luck on your interviews!