Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine Community

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by drhenderson, Mar 5, 2000.

1. drhenderson

drhenderson Senior Member

Western University of Health Sciences
    College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
    College Plaza
    Pomona, CA 91766 http://www.westernu.edu/
    Admissions: 909 469 5335
    Deadline: 1/15

In State Tuition: about 23,000
    Out-of State Tuition: about 23,000
    Number of Students: about 630

Average MCAT: 8.5

If you have interviewed, are attending, or have attended this school, please share your thoughts and visit with others!

[This message has been edited by drhenderson (edited 03-17-2000).]

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. peiyueng

peiyueng Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hi,
    This is Pei, MSII. I know the MSI is busy with the Neuro system, and the MSII with Repro., so good luck everyone!

Pei

[This message has been edited by peiyueng (edited 03-07-2000).]

4. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member

Dr Henderson,

What exactly would you & others like me to share? Need some specifics... [​IMG]

Hi Pei [​IMG] My regards to Chin!!! [​IMG]

Rob
    WesternU/COMP MS II

5. peiyueng

peiyueng Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thanks Rob.
    I do want to share something about Western U. that makes the school unique. I just came back from the Talent Show 2 hours ago, and it was so much fun. It's great to see the talents we have in school. Each semester I have something to look forward to: The play SANUS theatre troop put on in the Fall (this year: Ten Little Indians), and the Extravaganza (includes a Talent show)in Spring.

Pei

[This message has been edited by peiyueng (edited 03-09-2000).]

6. Paul's Boutique

As an "incoming" student this fall, I'd strongly recommend to any interested pre-meds that they attend one of Western's OMACs (Osteopathic Medicine Awareness Conferences). They provide a full day of presentations about osteopathy and Western U.---very well done! Check out their website at www.westernu.edu (info on the OMAC is at http://www.westernu.edu/events.html )

[This message has been edited by Paul's Boutique (edited 03-17-2000).]

7. miglo

miglo Senior Member

I totally agree with PB. Brought the old man with me to one so he can understand this "osteopathy-thingy" a little better. [​IMG] I think ALL premeds should attend one.

miglo

WESSST SIIDE!

8. rvcasurfer

Pre-Medical
    I submitted my supplemental 2 weeks ago

how competitive am I?

Here's my somewhat summarized profile.

Graduated with Biology and Chemistry
    Magna Cum Laude
    University Honors
    3.7 GPA
    3.56 science
    26 MCAT

Head scribe, emergency room scribe
    research
    supplemental instructor, tutor
    medical volunteer in Nepal

and other student organizations while in school

how competitive do you guys think I am?

9. Oo Cipher oO

Resident [Any Field]
    Barely submitted your secondary? Lower than average MCAT? I'm sorry friend but your app is DOA. Try submitting again in July.

Side note: tuition used to be $23,000!? We are getting hosed.

10. GUH

GUH Underdawg

Resident [Any Field]
    holy necrothread, Batman

11. Ost3oclast

Ost3oclast It's Teh Internetz Dood!

Medical Student
    Right?

12. rvcasurfer

Pre-Medical

appreciate the input, but with my MCAT i've gotten into MCV and EVMS MD schools. I just believe my calling is DO, hence why I was so late in the application cycle.

13. docnotsopc

Medical Student
    1) most ridiculous bump ever
    2) If you choose Western or any other DO school over EVMS or MCV..... you are an idiot. This is coming from a Western student.

14. rvcasurfer

Pre-Medical
    so youre saying you really chose Western for its statistical value rather than anything else.

15. docnotsopc

Medical Student
    I chose Western because I thought it was smiles, sunshine, and rainbows like they make it out to be....... and I also chose it because it was in SoCal. Not being from SoCal, i quickly realized that Western is no where near the beach (or anything really) as I had originally assumed.

You have an opportunity to become an MD. You can always do an elective in PM&R and see to some degree what OMM is like. Hell, with the merger you will eventually have the opportunity to do OMM. But im telling you, you will be closing a lot of doors by picking a DO over MD. You can still reach most doors, but its a very steep uphill battle to get there. Should you happen to become interested in any of the surgery specialties or anything else dubbed "competitive", your chances are even less as a DO unless want sub-par training in an AOA residency.

Anyway enough said. Im leaving now before i get chewed to pieces

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Oo Cipher oO

Resident [Any Field]
    Then again there are those few that really want to be DOs. The majority just want to be doctors but there are always a couple in every class that are really gung ho DO. If thats what you really want OP you should have applied earlier. Maybe there is a chance of your acceptance. But its not likely. Good thing you already have some acceptances. You'll be fine.

18. racerwad

Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    All of this x2

I find it hard to believe that anyone, after experiencing the amount of work the "normal" curriculum consists of in medical school, would want to add an additional 4hr class per week of lecture on top of it, just because they buy into the whole "DO philosophy." As others have said, you can catch up on OMM after you get your degree if you really want to learn manipulations. Otherwise, being "holistic" and treating the patient rather than the symptom ought to be your own personal perspective instead of something you "get" after cracking someone's back.

19. JediZero

JediZero Cynical Optimist

Resident [Any Field]
    If you really want to go DO, then your application should be sufficient. I hope you weren't too late in the application cycle, but I have classmates who interviewed later than this (like Feb/March), so it's not impossible.

As others are pointing out, you may hit some barriers as a DO, but in my view the people in this forum exaggerate them greatly. If you're a DO, you're a doctor, you're going to find the right residency for you and you're going to have a career, and that's all that matters to some people. If you want to be super-competitive or go into a specialty that tends to exclude DOs, then yes, you should take your MD acceptances. But the DO side needs leaders, too, and if the philosophy resonates with you, then do it. I love OMT, but I don't have much talent for it. I'm still thankful for getting to touch and listen to my patients, to understand both them and their bodies, and to have a firm grasp of what my more skilled colleagues can do to help them. I'm glad to be a DO.

And I've got my beefs with Western U. Dealing with the administration has been really frustrating at times for both our class and the previous class. But many schools share the same frustrations, and we wind up with very favorable board scores and residency placements relative to the rest of the field. On the whole, I'd say you'll be fine at Western.

20. rvcasurfer

Pre-Medical
    Can't ask for a better answer. Thanks a lot!

21. n3xa

n3xa "the anchor"

Resident [Any Field]

After running into 4th years on their rotations, I just wanted to say thanks for being the guinea pigs... good lord. Things are far from perfect, but it sounds like we have it good compared to your preclinical experience.

22. Silent Cool

Silent Cool Member
    Banned

I didn't submit AACOMAS until december-ish and still got interview at 4 DO schools, and got into 2. Why don't re-take the MCAT? If you got a 30+, you would be competitive for MD programs.