This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaisingTheSteaks

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I recently got an acceptance letter for the PharmD program from Western University in Pomona. Are there any current students or alumni that can give me the pros and cons of attending this university? I live in NorCal and would like to know how the student life is before making a big decision.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Quit making so many threads. Go to the cheapest school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Roseman: $54,100 x 3 years = $162,300
University of The Pacific: $76,421 + $76,421 + $50,954 = 203,796
Western: $48,665 x 4 years = 194,660

This should make the decision for you

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Roseman: $54,100 x 3 years = $162,300
University of The Pacific: $76,421 + $76,421 + $50,954 = 203,796
Western: $48,665 x 4 years = 194,660

This should make the decision for you

Wow those schools are all expensive AF

Reactions: 1 users
If you plan to remain in coastal California then I would pick a different profession, i.e software engineering. By going into pharmacy you will graduate with approximately $250k in loans and be forced to move out to the middle of nowhere, and that is if there are even any jobs available there when you graduate.

Reactions: 1 user
Pros
3-year = enter job market earlier
4-year = more time to work

Cons
Student life = more *******es at UoP who thought they were smart to get an "in" by entering out of high school but not smart enough to save money on pre-reqs
3-year = less time to work
4-year = enter job market later

Hello, I recently got an acceptance letter for the PharmD program from Western University in Pomona. Are there any current students or alumni that can give me the pros and cons of attending this university? I live in NorCal and would like to know how the student life is before making a big decision.

Thanks!

Been about a decade since I was a P1 and we didn’t have KGI (about 5 miles from Western), CHU, chapman, Ketchum, Westcost, northstate, and god knows what other schools. I am sure more than several professors have already left. Having said that, the advantage is that we are the 4th oldest school in CA, we are not hated by too many people, we have established rotations, decent passing rates on boards, etc. disadvantage is that it’s in Pomona, expensive, you’re screwed with job market.

Western is in a pretty sketchy area. UOP is by far in the worst area. At least at UOP there are pawnshops close by, so if you're low on funds you can hawk your personal belongings. :laugh: I don't know about Roseman.

Be sure you're ready for tons of debt. Sit down with a calculator and see how much you'll need and can afford to pay WITHOUT a job, after you graduate.

Western is in a pretty sketchy area. UOP is by far in the worst area. At least at UOP there are pawnshops close by, so if you're low on funds you can hawk your personal belongings. :laugh: I don't know about Roseman.

Be sure you're ready for tons of debt. Sit down with a calculator and see how much you'll need and can afford to pay WITHOUT a job, after you graduate.

If this poster lives in NorCal, UOP is closer, one year shorter in duration of study. Doesn’t make all that much sense to go to Western over UOP. Also doesn’t make sense to go to Pharmacy school in general. But posters tend to consider us haters

Many pre-pharms worry about location, location, location.

We pharmacists worry about cost, cost, cost.

Reactions: 2 users
Many pre-pharms worry about location, location, location.

We pharmacists worry about cost, cost, cost.

When (not if) I see another “University of A vs University of B thread I will quote this post with bolded statements on cost. I just found my go-to-phrase of the day.

Western University is located in Pomona. It's not sketchy like before. They have brand new buildings, established program and rotation, and it's opposite of traffic. It's one of the better established school with block based curriculum so you will only concentrate on one subject at a time. You also get a 1.5 years didactic training instead of 1 years like most schools.

I wouldn't recommend any private pharmacy school though. $250,000 loans once you graduated. If you work retail (most pharmacist do), be prepare to become a slave, unstability, wage freeze and hours cuts. My friends from CVS is getting 30 hrs/week. I know one who was capable of going to med school, very intelligent and hard working. Doesn't matter. That's the market in retail.

Reactions: 4 users