Western University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UC spring classes are full:( unless you are a current student.wooow, this ISP is so expensive..
UC extension classes too? Try those. For example, I'm going to be taking a Molec Bio class at UCLA. It's not full.

Members don't see this ad.

You guys can try Mount SAC (Near WesternU). Their classes start late february and they offer calculus and physiology. :) Even if the class is full, contact the professor stating your situation. More than likely they will understand and let you in. Lastly, it is a community college and the tuition is very cheap compare to UC extentions.

Last edited:
UC extension classes too? Try those. For example, I'm going to be taking a Molec Bio class at UCLA. It's not full.

I asked for the lab and they said the spring classes will get full because priority will be given to the current students.

I want to attend western sooooo bad:(

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you haven't received a status update from the January 26th interview cycle, I would suggest you call the admissions office to ask. They told me admissions had sent me an email on Monday, but I never received it (checked spam folder and everything). Your notification email might have been eaten by the internet. Good luck :)

Has anyone who plans to attend figured out what their student # is (where the info is posted?)?

Does anyone know when the deadline for the ISP is? Couldn't find it on the website but was just wondering if anyone knew.

And I got my Western gmail account in the same letter as my deposit form, if that's what everyone's wondering about.

Hi guys. After you send the deposit will they notify you or send you information about the next step?

To those accepted and will be attending this school, what do you like about their program?

I just explore their website and it is the same COA as USC.

Thanks for the reply :D

To those accepted and will be attending this school, what do you like about their program?

I just explore their website and it is the same COA as USC.

Thanks for the reply :D

I really like the way the curriculum is organized--into a modified block (quarter-like) for the first year and blocks for the 2nd year and half of the 3rd. This link explains the first year better than the prospective page does: http://www.westernu.edu/pharmacy-pharmd_about

For me, I like how the courses involve multiple subjects..so you're not taking a 'semester' of pharmacy law or medicinal chemistry, for example, but it is in there. I like the way its all mixed together. Some curriculums of other schools give me a bit of dread factor, honestly.

The actual blocks sound intense but after one block is done, then I think you get at least the weekend to fully decompress. Sounds kind of fun to me (I've been told these are famous last words but oh well!). :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys. After you send the deposit will they notify you or send you information about the next step?

I think they send an e-mail to both your regular e-mail and your western e-mail saying they received the deposit.

They also send a link to this page: http://prospective.westernu.edu/pharmacy-pharmd/admitted-13/ This link has all the health paperwork that you need to have completed...that takes a bit of work..blood titers/physical/TB test.

Other than that, I think the only other thing you need to do is have your FAFSA done.

I think they send an e-mail to both your regular e-mail and your western e-mail saying they received the deposit.

They also send a link to this page: http://prospective.westernu.edu/pharmacy-pharmd/admitted-13/ This link has all the health paperwork that you need to have completed...that takes a bit of work..blood titers/physical/TB test.

Other than that, I think the only other thing you need to do is have your FAFSA done.

Thank you :)! Do they include your western email after they receive your deposit? The only thing included in my acceptance email was a letter and a form to send it along with the deposit.

I've turned in my Fafsa a month ago :D! But is there also paper work to be done on the school website too?

Thanks for your help! :)

If I recall correctly, put off doing your TB until just right about school is to start. If you take them too early, the school will not accept them. You will need two of them. Doing your blood titter is cheaper because that will let the doctors know which immunizations you need or do not need.

Thank you :)! Do they include your western email after they receive your deposit? The only thing included in my acceptance email was a letter and a form to send it along with the deposit.

I've turned in my Fafsa a month ago :D! But is there also paper work to be done on the school website too?

Thanks for your help! :)

No problem! Instructions for the e-mail account come in the paper acceptance letter that comes to your mailing address. The instructions for the temporary password are complicated!...I had to type it like 10x to get it right.

I didn't find any financial aid paperwork that needs to be done?..just the health paperwork.

If I recall correctly, put off doing your TB until just right about school is to start. If you take them too early, the school will not accept them.

From what I understand, you can do the 1st one now to be able to do your paperwork (due June 1) and then the 2nd one is right before school and you have to give them separate documentation for that. Hope that is correct cause I have to go get mine 'read' today. That's another thing with the TB test...make sure your schedule is free enough that you can go to your first appt (for the injection) and then another appt 2 days later (to have the results recorded).

For current students (like iPOOstandingup) :)--

Do you happen to know when the first opportunity to have the Dean sign your intern license paperwork is? And the timeframe from when that is to when you start doing IPPE hours?

You won't be able to get your signature for your intern license until the week of orientation. However, you will need to complete paperwork before you get the dean's signature. I think that one of them is a Live Scan, but the school will let you know more about that later if I recall correctly. Update me if I am wrong. I was a late add myself so I don't know how early they inform you of starting to get your intern license stuff down. And for those who are interested to know now, it was cheaper to find your place to get Live Scan done at than when it is offered at school during orientation week. It is also faster, but I digress. For now, I would say it is too early to worry about that although you may start it now if you have free time. I personally would put it off until later so that you don't lose some of the paperwork that is required to get the dean's signature. If you lose your Live Scan papers, that's another expensive fee you have to pay once again and time out of your day.
**Note this is NOT an excuse for you to start getting the required paperwork for your intern license during the first week of school. The process does take a while. You are warned.

When do you start doing IPPE hours? Through the school. It will be probably within the first month of school when you will start getting IPPE rotations hours. However, if you are a tech somewhere and they hire you back as a pharmacy intern, you can potentially start getting intern hours as soon as your license is approved.

For now, I would focus on getting your titters done. I don't know about that though riggylou. I remember I did a total of 3 TBs tests because one of mine was too early. Call the school and verify. There is a good chance I could be wrong because it's been a while.

Last edited:
**Note this is NOT an excuse for you to start getting the required paperwork for your intern license during the first week of school. The process does take a while. You are warned.

Thanks for all the info! Getting my tech license was a bit of a nightmare..that's why I am asking about the intern license so early!

I really like the way the curriculum is organized--into a modified block (quarter-like) for the first year and blocks for the 2nd year and half of the 3rd. This link explains the first year better than the prospective page does: http://www.westernu.edu/pharmacy-pharmd_about

For me, I like how the courses involve multiple subjects..so you're not taking a 'semester' of pharmacy law or medicinal chemistry, for example, but it is in there. I like the way its all mixed together. Some curriculums of other schools give me a bit of dread factor, honestly.

The actual blocks sound intense but after one block is done, then I think you get at least the weekend to fully decompress. Sounds kind of fun to me (I've been told these are famous last words but oh well!). :)

That was interesting too and I think current students really like how the curriculum is set up.

Also the classroom design is somewhat attractive. The professors are really the center of attention.

Can you please tell me what kinds of question are asked during the interview? Shall I focus on situational or moral questions? This is my first choice of Pharm School and I am nervous !

Can you please tell me what kinds of question are asked during the interview? Shall I focus on situational or moral questions? This is my first choice of Pharm School and I am nervous !

I didnt get asked any moral questions. I did get asked a few situational questions, so be prepared for those. Just prepare for everything just in case :]

I didnt get asked any moral questions. I did get asked a few situational questions, so be prepared for those. Just prepare for everything just in case :]

What kind/examples of situational questions did they ask?

I would focus practicing from the interview feedback, because they asked a lot of questions from there. As for situational it's really hard to prepare for it because it can range from anything, like situations that happens in a hospital and what you would do in that situation (which I got) to maybe something really random. So for those questions I would, make sure to really think about your answer, and speak because they really just want to see your thought process.

Does anybody receive some e-mail about status from the January 26,interview as a waiting list or hold or reject? I still haven't received anything yet and I called and they told me to wait that I was on hold and then I called and still don't know what is there decision after this Friday they told me that I would receive an e-mail and I still haven't received anything yet and I'm getting very frustrated.:scared:

Last edited:
No problem! Instructions for the e-mail account come in the paper acceptance letter that comes to your mailing address. The instructions for the temporary password are complicated!...I had to type it like 10x to get it right.

I didn't find any financial aid paperwork that needs to be done?..just the health paperwork.

Hi riggylou! I was wondering how long did it take for them to respond to you? I sent it out last Wednesday but because of holiday's yesterday I'm not sure if it delays them receiving the deposit.

Thanks!

Hi riggylou! I was wondering how long did it take for them to respond to you? I sent it out last Wednesday but because of holiday's yesterday I'm not sure if it delays them receiving the deposit.

Thanks!

I sent it on 1-17 and they sent me a deposit received e-mail on 1-24...so exactly 1 week. MLK day was right in the middle of when I sent mine.

Pro/Cons for this school

Pros: Block schedule seems interesting. Would be nice to only focus on one class at a time
-extra rotation experience!
-located in SoCal! although Pomona isn't the nicest area.

Cons: During the interview I felt the school was a little akward with the random statues throughout (school used to be a strip mall)
-students didn't seem very social here. They sat at the other side of the room the whole time (during breaks between interviews) and only a few of them got up to talk to us
-one of the most expensive schools in the nation, but lower ranking on US news.

I finally got an interview invite for this Saturday!! yeea!

Might cancel my interview because if I do get in and like Western over USC, I don't have $500 extra for another deposit :-/

Might cancel my interview because if I do get in and like Western over USC, I don't have $500 extra for another deposit :-/

Did you already pay your USC deposit?..you should have 2 weeks(?). You likely won't hear back from Western before 2 weeks but your interview is before so you can see how you like it. I ended up liking Western over USC (though I haven't heard a decision yet on my USC 1/26 interview!)... Chances are if you got accepted by USC that you'll get accepted by Western...it as not as selective but I like their setup better. But, I know how it is not wanting to take a gamble. I shelled out a 1500 deposit for the 1st school I got into because I didn't want to take a chance on not hearing from anywhere else.

Did you already pay your USC deposit?..you should have 2 weeks(?). You likely won't hear back from Western before 2 weeks but your interview is before so you can see how you like it. I ended up liking Western over USC (though I haven't heard a decision yet on my USC 1/26 interview!)... Chances are if you got accepted by USC that you'll get accepted by Western...it as not as selective but I like their setup better. But, I know how it is not wanting to take a gamble. I shelled out a 1500 deposit for the 1st school I got into because I didn't want to take a chance on not hearing from anywhere else.
I didn't pay it yet because I'm waiting on my income tax refund. Why did you like Western over USC?

I didn't pay it yet because I'm waiting on my income tax refund. Why did you like Western over USC?

Mostly the curriculum..the block program really appeals to me. The 1st year has 'modified blocks' (like quarters) and the 2nd and most of the 3rd have the ~15 day blocks w/ ~2 day breaks in between. I became really sold on that idea after going to the interview.

I felt like USC was kind of going through the motions on interview day and not really 'selling' the positive attributes of the school..maybe it was just me? To be fair, Western is within commuting distance of my house and I was looking to see if there was anything 'extra special' about USC (aside from the household name) to justify moving to LA (with associated increased costs) and I didn't get that from the interview day.

Oh and just curious--what happened to your Touro app?? You can PM me if you don't want to air grievances here..lol

If I drop and get w in a class now, the committee may consider my acceptance again?

If I drop and get w in a class, the committee may consider my acceptance again?

I think it depends on whether the class is a prerequisite class. Call them to verify though.

I think it depends on whether the class is a prerequisite class. Call them to verify though.
It is not a prerequisite class, so I think It would be ok to drop.. Thanks!! :)

Last edited:
Pro/Cons for this school

Pros: Block schedule seems interesting. Would be nice to only focus on one class at a time
-extra rotation experience!
-located in SoCal! although Pomona isn't the nicest area.

Cons: During the interview I felt the school was a little akward with the random statues throughout (school used to be a strip mall)
-students didn't seem very social here. They sat at the other side of the room the whole time (during breaks between interviews) and only a few of them got up to talk to us
-one of the most expensive schools in the nation, but lower ranking on US news.

I am sorry that the students left that impression on you. I can say that we aren't like that. Around the school, the p1s, p2s, p3s, and p4s know each other. We hang out with one another on and OFF campus. I don't know how USC works, but at western, fellow students interact with one another outside of their graduating class from club events, lunches, social gatherings and much more. I can also say that the current P2s (C/O 2015) have offered us help and advice on how to study, what to expect and other helpful tips since day one in school. The different graduating classes at Western are very interactive with one another. I know that will NOT completely change your view on the school but I thought it would be great if I had chimed in a little and provided everyone some better insight.

Hello !
Does somebody know if the member of admission committee for taking decision are the same members on the interview ?

I am sorry that the students left that impression on you. I can say that we aren't like that. Around the school, the p1s, p2s, p3s, and p4s know each other. We hang out with one another on and OFF campus. I don't know how USC works, but at western, fellow students interact with one another outside of their graduating class from club events, lunches, social gatherings and much more. I can also say that the current P2s (C/O 2015) have offered us help and advice on how to study, what to expect and other helpful tips since day one in school. The different graduating classes at Western are very interactive with one another. I know that will NOT completely change your view on the school but I thought it would be great if I had chimed in a little and provided everyone some better insight.

I was surprised by the low ranking and low CPJE passing rate too....

I was surprised by the low ranking and low CPJE passing rate too....

I had to go look it up since you mentioned..for 2011 Western did really well (93%) and the lowest CPJE pass rate was UCSF (84%)..! http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/meetings/agendas/2011/11_oct_bd_lic_stats.pdf

It seems like it all varies from year to year. Ultimately, it's going to be on the student as an individual to pass that test. From what I've read there's no rhyme or reason to the questions..I've heard people say that they were able to draw from their work experience more than their studying to answer the questions.

And, IMO, ranking lists are pretty cheesy. Think of how much you liked your undergrad institution and then see what US News ranks it as..for most people that isn't going to mesh up. For pharmacy--I mean Loma Linda University is another great school in this area and they don't even have a ranking #!

I had my interview today at Western. I was thoroughly impressed by their presentation. They definitively sell the school better than USC. The essay was very straightforward and the interview went well. I love the setup of their classrooms (hexagonal) and the fact that they have scholarship opportunities.They said we should hear back in 2 weeks. Also, they have added another interview date for March I believe.

I had my interview today at Western. I was thoroughly impressed by their presentation. They definitively sell the school better than USC. The essay was very straightforward and the interview went well. I love the setup of their classrooms (hexagonal) and the fact that they have scholarship opportunities.They said we should hear back in 2 weeks. Also, they have added another interview date for March I believe.

They also added unannounced interview date last year. This is very possible.

Another interview in March? Why?

Nice! I'm glad you decided to go to the interview. :)