Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to you guys with acceptances!!
How lucky you are!!!
I'm super jelly :)

Thank you Starry! It is quite a feeling, I have several red marks on my arm cause I keep pinching myself :)
I concur about the red marks! We're actually going to be doctors down the road!! :)

Thank you everyone for the congratulations and good luck to everyone! The cycle is still young. I'm glad now that I wrote so many essay prompts and applied broadly. "Never give up, Never surrender!" -Galaxy Quest (Yes, I am a nerd)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Congrats. You gave lots of hope since my stats are similar to yours (slightly lower GPA, slightly higher MCAT). I reside 25 miles away from WesternU, so you could say this is my home school.

I interview on the 10th of October, do you have any interview tips, aside from "be yourself"?
During the interview, use examples from your past of why you 'like helping other people,' Maybe talk about your favorite service activity. Western U is big on service. Every applicant likes helping people, but not all have good examples to back it up. Describe why Western U is the school that 'fits' you. Look the interviewers in the eyes and don't be afraid of brief breaks in the conversation.

You'll do great during your interview! The admissions staff, students, and professors I met were so friendly and passersby even went out of their ways to wish us interviewees luck when they saw us in the halls at Western U. I got a great vibe from the school. :)

Last edited:
During the interview, use examples from your past of why you 'like helping other people,' Maybe talk about your favorite service activity. Western U is big on service. Every applicant likes helping people, but not all have good examples to back it up. For me, I talked about being a foster/adoptive parent, a Mormon missionary, and a clinical nurse. I think these EC's made my lackluster 26 MCAT almost irrelevant.
Describe why Western U is the school that 'fits' you. Look the interviewers in the eyes and don't be afraid of brief breaks in the conversation.

You'll do great during your interview! The admissions staff, students, and professors I met were so friendly and passersby even went out of their ways to wish us interviewees luck when they saw us in the halls at Western U. I got a great vibe from the school. :)

Thank you very much

do we have to send letter of rec to both pomona and lebanon or is just to the main pomona campus?

my advisor posted letters for Pomona only but not lebanon and i am applying to both....

:confused:

do we have to send letter of rec to both pomona and lebanon or is just to the main pomona campus?

my advisor posted letters for Pomona only but not lebanon and i am applying to both....

:confused:

You will only be considered and interviewed for one school so pick one. I've heard of people interviewing for both but it seems to be extremely rare. (Like <1 per cycle)

If you were to submit your letters through Interfolio, there is only one option. I think they share a LoR system but I'm not sure.

Your best bet is to call and find out. Just remember that applying to both may be a waste of resources for you.

I felt absolutely dejected after my interview.

Good luck to all those who interviewed today, it was awesome to meet you!

To the person who drove me to the airport, I wish I had the chance to say goodbye to you. I wish you the best for wherever you choose to go! :)

CA resident, cGPA: 3.65, sGPA: 3.59, MCAT: 29

I felt like Western did a really good job at making everyone feel welcomed and relaxed. For the MMIs, nothing strange and out of the blue. Just focus on typical student/clinical scenarios and you'll be fine. Or just look at SDN's interview feedback...pretty much everything from the interview was listed there so go over that and you'll be good. Good luck!

Thank you very much. My interview is coming up and I hope I could join you guys next fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey does anybody know if they mail out rejection or waitlist too? One of the 9/12 interviewees here and I didn't get any letter from western. I live in CA so it shouldn't take that long...

Hey does anybody know if they mail out rejection or waitlist too? One of the 9/12 interviewees here and I didn't get any letter from western. I live in CA so it shouldn't take that long...

I live in IL and didnt get anything yet

For those 9/12 interviewees who haven't received a letter yet:

When I called the Admissions office on Thursday, 9/26, Jaziel Camacho said the adcom was still reviewing interviewee apps that day. I got my acceptance on Fri, 9/27, and I live in Texas. So----perhaps those without letters were reviewed this Thurs and will receive their letters this week. I hope you all get accepted! :)
Hey Isha, I was in your interview group! Definitely recognized you from the Japanese missionary reference. Congratulations to you! I hope you all the best in your decision between medical schools. Thanks for the information and reassurance.

Hey Isha, I was in your interview group! Definitely recognized you from the Japanese missionary reference. Congratulations to you! I hope you all the best in your decision between medical schools. Thanks for the information and reassurance.
Thanks for the well-wishes! I hope you get a good letter in the mail today or tomorrow. Everyone I met at the 9/12 interview looked like great candidates.

I have an interview in Fort Worth, TX this week at TCOM. I hope to get accepted there, too, because it's less than $20K a year (in-state) and still osteopathic! Keeping my fingers crossed...

Congratulations! I knew more acceptances would be coming this week! :)

Congratulations! I knew more acceptances would be coming this week! :)

Thanks and same to you! I was surprised the letter made it today. Postmarked Friday and made it all the way to TN.

I'm jealous you all get your mail so early! My mailman doesn't deliver the mail until 6pm most days, give or take ~15 minutes.

9/12'er. Acceptance today!

Congrats.

So, which school you think better fits you, LMU or Western? Why so?

I'm asking because I have interviews at these two schools coming up, back to back (literally). I want to know what to anticipate.

I hope there is a spot for me. My application is verified but not released yet. I have the essays pre-written though.

Praying for an interview
C Sept 3
Ready for Review Sept 16

Last edited:
How do you know its ready for review? Thxs

They send you an email that goes something like this:

"Good News! Your application has been processed and sent to the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Admissions Committee for review. Should you be selected for an interview, we will contact you via phone or email to schedule a convenient interview date."

They send you an email that goes something like this:

"Good News! Your application has been processed and sent to the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Admissions Committee for review. Should you be selected for an interview, we will contact you via phone or email to schedule a convenient interview date."

Thanks...I only got the complete email..hopefully I will get the "processed" email soon....

Congrats.

So, which school you think better fits you, LMU or Western? Why so?

I'm asking because I have interviews at these two schools coming up, back to back (literally). I want to know what to anticipate.

It's difficult to say right now. Both are great schools and have things I like. The facilities at lmu surprised me and their DO/MBA program is pretty attractive too. I would prefer to attend school in an area with more stuff going on. While I wasn't all that excited with Pomona, I've always been interested in living in the LA area. Western also has nice facilities and a lot of different opportunities. The diversity of the student body is great too. The cost benefit at lmu is pretty nice. I'm hoping to have the chance to visit Pomona again when I can have a couple days to check it out. Both are going to provide students with a great education.

Like I said, it's hard to say right now. Either way it's an awesome decision to have to make.

Placed on hold today for possible interview
So disappointed :(

Placed on hold today for possible interview
So disappointed :(

If you don't mind me asking, when were you complete? This is one school that I've been particularly interested in, and I've been complete for a couple weeks. I just want to know one way or another!!

BTW-so sorry on your hold status. Hopefully other schools will pick you up!

didnt recieve anything yet. hopefully tomorrow :(

2290039.jpg

Last edited:
It's difficult to say right now. Both are great schools and have things I like. The facilities at lmu surprised me and their DO/MBA program is pretty attractive too. I would prefer to attend school in an area with more stuff going on. While I wasn't all that excited with Pomona, I've always been interested in living in the LA area. Western also has nice facilities and a lot of different opportunities. The diversity of the student body is great too. The cost benefit at lmu is pretty nice. I'm hoping to have the chance to visit Pomona again when I can have a couple days to check it out. Both are going to provide students with a great education.

Like I said, it's hard to say right now. Either way it's an awesome decision to have to make.

I bet. Good luck on whatever decision you make and I pray to be in your position soon :)

9/12'er here toooo. Accepted! Wooooooooooooooooooooo.

Stats: 3.7 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, 30 MCAT. Took gap year off as an ER scribe and EMT.
CA resident.

Western definitely seems like a great fit: good location, happy students, collaborative atmosphere.

Best of luck to everyone else! Cannot be more happy right now. :D Finally can have some peace of mind.

Got my acceptance letter yesterday!!!!!! :D

nontraditional, cGPA: 3.63, MCAT 29

I received bad grades initially in my premed pre-reqs, seriously like C's in Chemistry. Years later, I retook the classes and did very well in them. I also do not have a strong background in community service because I had to work all through college. So, if you do not have a lot of service hours, but have exposure to a medical setting you are still considered for Western. I am a California resident, but moved here from Iowa. I worked at the hospital for 2.5 years and I have 4 years of research experience.

Tips for interview: Be yourself as much as possible. They want to see the real you. Illustrate of your beliefs and statements with examples. Be cordial to all the staff and students. Demonstrate that you live and breath their mission statement and core values. Everyone will be asked different questions, so try to be prepared for anything they may throw at you. I went online and looked at the most common types of questions, and I practiced almost everyday for a month. Just be yourself and you will do great. It's an amazing school and I wish you all the best of luck!

Anybody from 9/12 stil not get a decision mail yet?

I got a hold too :( 29 MCAT (8 PS, 11VR, 10BS) 3.38cgpa 3.14sgpa. OOS (big time, I am an east coaster)

When were you guys complete if you don't mind me asking?

I was complete 9/7, got my "ready for review" email 9/27

For people who got interviews, how long did it take for them to get in contact with you? Anyone else ready for review around the same time as me? Are you guys waiting to hear about interviews also? :) i'm so anxious!!

I was complete 9/7, got my "ready for review" email 9/27

For people who got interviews, how long did it take for them to get in contact with you? Anyone else ready for review around the same time as me? Are you guys waiting to hear about interviews also? :) i'm so anxious!!

Same here!

how long did it take you guys to get a secondary from the time your primary was released? Mine was released yesterday.