Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah. last week they told me a decision will be made and i will hear shortly. this week they said the dean has to sign the letter. i dont know what's with this school :mad:

Next week ask to confirm your address. Maybe your letter got lost.

Members don't see this ad.

Next week ask to confirm your address. Maybe your letter got lost.

but than wouldnt they tell me that the letter was already sent? whatever. i sent them a email asking what happened so hopefully i get an answer

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope my letter gets here on Tuesday. I would really like to hear from this school next week :luck:

I hope my letter gets here on Tuesday. I would really like to hear from this school next week :luck:

I'm rooting for you! :D:thumbup:

2 more weeks until my interview here. Can't wait! Anyone else going on the 26th? How big are the interview groups usually?

Acceptance letter in the mail today.

Accepted. Interviewed 9/28, letter postmarked 10/11, received today (Nor Cal).

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my gosh, Back 5 and brownbaglunch congratz!! :D

And Ibn Alnafis MD ty for the info :)

Congrats to all the acceptances!! We did it!!

Can any current students (or fellow interviewees who took better notes than I did!) comment on what portion of OMS1-2 is PBL style? I seem to recall them placing a pretty heavy emphasis on group learning, but is it just a supplement to lectures or the primary basis of the curriculum?

I cannot remember from my interview. Does Western use iPads and e-book for their textbooks?

rejected by email. thank you western for taking forever.

Congrats to all the acceptances!! We did it!!

Can any current students (or fellow interviewees who took better notes than I did!) comment on what portion of OMS1-2 is PBL style? I seem to recall them placing a pretty heavy emphasis on group learning, but is it just a supplement to lectures or the primary basis of the curriculum?
I'm not too sure either but from what I remember, they talked about small group/ large group sessions to supplement lecture as well as the IPE, which I think would be PBL style...

Hey out of everyone who has received acceptance letters, who is accepting their offer?! I just sent my deposit in two days ago and cannot wait to meet my future classmates

Last edited:
Hey out of everyone who has received acceptance letters, who is accepting their offer?! I just sent my deposit in two days ago and cannot wait to meet my future classmates

Only way I don't attend Western is if I get a scholarship offer to another DO school (does that even happen?) or I'm accepted to my state MD school. $50k tuition vs $18k tuition. I have to take that, even if Western is a better school.

Only way I don't attend Western is if I get a scholarship offer to another DO school (does that even happen?) or I'm accepted to my state MD school. $50k tuition vs $18k tuition. I have to take that, even if Western is a better school.

I don't blame you. I am applying for an Air Force scholarship and really hoping that pulls through. Well good luck, I hope something works out. It's interesting how you focus so long on just trying to get into school and now that we're accepted, its like....ok.....so.....how am I going to pay this large sum of money?

I got the ready for review email Sept 24th. Stats are 26 mcat, 3.8+cGPA and sGPA

Similar stats to you and also got the ready email on sept 24..but I haven't received an update as of yet.

Similar stats to you and also got the ready email on sept 24..but I haven't received an update as of yet.

Keep waiting...it took exactly a month between my ready for review email and my II.
8/26 --> 9/26. For an interview on 10/26.
Weird how my dates line up haha.

How long was it after submitting your secondary application that you get the ready for review email?

How long was it after submitting your secondary application that you get the ready for review email?

I was complete 8/12. So 14 days = 2 weeks. This supposedly varies greatly though.

Are we suppose to receive two separate emails..one that said "Secondary Application Received" and one that said "Ready for review" ?

I only received an email that said "Secondary Application Received" about a month ago.

Thanks

Are we suppose to receive two separate emails..one that said "Secondary Application Received" and one that said "Ready for review" ?

I only received an email that said "Secondary Application Received" about a month ago.

Thanks

Yes. Separate.

Hi when were you complete? I've been complete for over a month and I haven't received the "ready for review" email yet...Not sure if I should call them and follow up.

Thanks

Hi when were you complete? I've been complete for over a month and I haven't received the "ready for review" email yet...Not sure if I should call them and follow up.

Thanks

I was complete in early September. I've been bugging them on email though about my status and they finally sent me the email so maybe that helped?

I was complete in early September. I've been bugging them on email though about my status and they finally sent me the email so maybe that helped?

By complete do you guys mean everything received on the portal or a separate complete email from admissions?

By complete do you guys mean everything received on the portal or a separate complete email from admissions?

I received an email that said that my secondary application has been received. They also send you another email once your applications get ready for review.

Apparently, they sent me a "ready for review" email at the end of September but I never received it. So I would suggest to call them to follow up if anyone is still waiting for the second email.

I was fortunate enough to receive an interview invite. I have a friend who lives in Oceanside, and it seems terribly enticing to rent a car from LAX, travel down to Oceanside and see the coast the day before interviewing, then leave for the interview early in the morning.

How feasible is this? Google says the drive is about ~2 hours from Oceanside to Pomona, but I feel like disaster could strike. Even still, it seems totally worth getting up at 5am to leave for my interview and having seen the coast!

I was fortunate enough to receive an interview invite. I have a friend who lives in Oceanside, and it seems terribly enticing to rent a car from LAX, travel down to Oceanside and see the coast the day before interviewing, then leave for the interview early in the morning.

How feasible is this? Google says the drive is about ~2 hours from Oceanside to Pomona, but I feel like disaster could strike. Even still, it seems totally worth getting up at 5am to leave for my interview and having seen the coast!

Personally, I'd be scared to risk it considering how early the interviews are and potential traffic. I'd save the sightseeing till after an acceptance. But if you REALLY want to see the coast, then it might be a good tradeoff btwn fun and peace of mind.

If you're staying an extra day, make it the day after your interview and visit with your friend.

Personally, I'd be scared to risk it considering how early the interviews are and potential traffic. I'd save the sightseeing till after an acceptance. But if you REALLY want to see the coast, then it might be a good tradeoff btwn fun and peace of mind.

If you're staying an extra day, make it the day after your interview and visit with your friend.

+1. high risk, low reward.

Unfortunately, I've booked my flight already to come back the night of the interview. That being said, I'm going to put good thought into this. I may just drive down to Oceanside and then back to Pomona the night before the interview.

But I do think it's better to err on the side of caution. It would be a shame to fly across the country only to interview, I think. I am tired of NY!

Unfortunately, I've booked my flight already to come back the night of the interview. That being said, I'm going to put good thought into this. I may just drive down to Oceanside and then back to Pomona the night before the interview.

But I do think it's better to err on the side of caution. It would be a shame to fly across the country only to interview, I think. I am tired of NY!

If you leave early enough you'll be fine. I did it.

If you leave early enough you'll be fine. I did it.

Oceanside to Pomona? It honestly doesn't seem too bad. It's about a 2 hour drive, going east, so I'm guessing it's better than going from say Pomona to LA or really anywhere on the coast.

During my interview, someone arrived 30 mins late. He was sweating bullets. He thought he left home early enough. Apparently he didn't. People underestimate the crazy traffic in SoCal. Except to spend 30 mins at the 2-mile intersection between the 5 freeway with the 57.

Oceanside to Pomona? It honestly doesn't seem too bad. It's about a 2 hour drive, going east, so I'm guessing it's better than going from say Pomona to LA or really anywhere on the coast.

Oceanside is on the coast, south of LA. And no it's not that bad of a drive and if you leave at say 545 you won't have any traffic. It'll be about an hour and 45 mins. I stopped for gas in Pomona (which is a ghetto btw) and had about an hour or so to kill upon arriving. It's a long interview day as well, so keep that in mind.