Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you write a long response to that? I was thinking about writing literally a sentence or two...do they want a full paragraph essay?

I did big paragraphs for both but to each their own. It's just like that why DO question on the Nova app.

Btw is this character limit with or without spaces??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well dang, I didn't get one. Is there anyone who only applied to Pomona who got a secondary today?

Members don't see this ad :)
So when I checked, there is actually no limit in the boxes..... so when they prefer the 1650 char limit do you think they assume space is a character?

How long did it take to get verified and later receive a secondary??

So when I checked, there is actually no limit in the boxes..... so when they prefer the 1650 char limit do you think they assume space is a character?

Maybe you need to submit it before knowing that you exceeded the limit.

I'm taking no chances. I'm abiding by the rules.

In regards to the other essay-like questions (ex. teaching experience), are we supposed to give long elaborated responses or only answer the questions with a simple sentence or two?

Maybe you need to submit it before knowing that you exceeded the limit.

I'm taking no chances. I'm abiding by the rules.

In regards to the other essay-like questions (ex. teaching experience), are we supposed to give long elaborated responses or only answer the questions with a simple sentence or two?

I think it's the same deal as the Nova question about why DO... there is a lot of space for you so you could write a couple sentences or a long paragraph or two. It's up to you. It is probably good not to sugar coat but be truthful and only say what you need/want to say in these cases.

I came, I taught and students got great marks.

Put that :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I just submitted my AACOMAS (chose western as one of my schools). So u guys think I'm super late/at a diasadvantage?

I am surprised Starry hasn't been on this thread yet since secondaries came out.

I just submitted my AACOMAS (chose western as one of my schools). So u guys think I'm super late/at a diasadvantage?

I submitted my primary in early August, and I was accepted in late October, so you are not late at all.

Awesome, just got it. I was getting a little neurotic there.

submitted my secondary today! I really want interview here :)

Essay prompts:

While shadowing an osteopathic physician, what did the
experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to
become an osteopathic physician?

What was your most memorable community service
activity and how did it impact you?

what is the character or word limit? Is there one?
thanks in advance:oops:

Has anyone's LOR been updated to the submitted secondary?? My status says that I am incomplete due to the letters not found..

Has anyone's LOR been updated to the submitted secondary?? My status says that I am incomplete due to the letters not found..

Nope...although I only submitted secondary two days ago.

No, my letters have not been uploaded yet, they were delivered via Interfolio already. They also have 2 apps listed. One submitted on 7/3 and one submitted on 7/10, so I think their system is a little wonky right now.

secondary submitted!

Last edited:
Will they send out invitation requests without receiving letters?

wondering if it's better to release an MD letter to have secondary complete faster? both are really strong. could be another week or (gasp) two before DO letter shows up.

No, my letters have not been uploaded yet, they were delivered via Interfolio already. They also have 2 apps listed. One submitted on 7/3 and one submitted on 7/10, so I think their system is a little wonky right now.

WHere can you check this?

wondering if it's better to release an MD letter to have secondary complete faster? both are really strong. could be another week or (gasp) two before DO letter shows up.

Do MD and then send DO when it comes? It'll seem like an update, and that you're interested

Same website you submitted secondary onto

Got it.

Ok, apparently they haven't received my letters yet... I assume this is like most ppl who have submitted their apps?

How is everyone answering "while shadowing an osteopathic physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?" I have a few reasons why shadowing solidified my interest, but there's no way I can really flesh it out in a way that is convincing.

How is everyone answering "while shadowing an osteopathic physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?" I have a few reasons why shadowing solidified my interest, but there's no way I can really flesh it out in a way that is convincing.

Perhaps word it in a way that it reaffirmed or was like a icing on a cake type thing.. It doesn't have to be why, start to finish. Maybe there was a specific day shadowing that really meant more than the others or so?

What if you never shadowed a DO...I've only shadowed MDs...

How do I answer the essay question?

What if you never shadowed a DO...I've only shadowed MDs...

How do I answer the essay question?

I guess my response would be..."how will you answer the interview question on why DO?"

I'm really concerned that people are applying to DO schools without ever having shadowed a DO. Unless you've had some other experience where you interacted closely with one, how do you know DO school will be the right fit for you?

Even if shadowing is not "mandatory" (though this question is REALLY hinting at the fact that it's essentially expected), if you haven't tried it's really doing a disservice to yourself at the very least.

It's sad to know how little research people put into this question when it affects the rest of your life! :confused:

I guess my response would be..."how will you answer the interview question on why DO?"

I'm really concerned that people are applying to DO schools without ever having shadowed a DO. Unless you've had some other experience where you interacted closely with one, how do you know DO school will be the right fit for you?

Even if shadowing is not "mandatory" (though this question is REALLY hinting at the fact that it's essentially expected), if you haven't tried it's really doing a disservice to yourself at the very least.

It's sad to know how little research people put into this question when it affects the rest of your life! :confused:

WesternU, for one, is pretty strong on that DO shadow experience.

Does anybody remember choosing which LORs you want them to look at? It appears they have chosen for me...

Apparently if you're a re-applicant, make sure to get an updated l.o.r. Could be the same letter, just need a date update.

And who are you?

Not true, I know students accepted and interviewed without ever having shadowed a DO.

I know people that smoked cigarettes all their lives without getting lung cancer.

Point is they don't make it a requirement, but it obviously is meaningful to them for applicants to have a DO letter when they continuously state that it is highly recommended and even a prompt in their secondary asks about shadowing a DO.