Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What if you never shadowed a DO...I've only shadowed MDs...

How do I answer the essay question?

I only shadowed one physician and he was an MD. I was accepted during this past admissions cycle to COMP Pomona.

I wrote about how I observed an MD using palpations to diagnose a patient and how I would like to develop my palpation skills even further in order to better serve my future patients (which being a DO will allow me to do). I also wrote about how I was able to observe OMM while I attended the WesternU Preview Day, which gave me further reason to want to have this skill set.

If you haven't shadowed a DO, I would highly highly recommend going to a WesternU Preview Day. Especially if you're applying to Western. This will both allow you to say that you have seen OMM/OMT in action and demonstrates a serious interest in WesternU.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been complete since July 10. Waiting game continues :cool:

Got excited for seeing an email from Western in my Inbox. It turned out to be a a "Thank you for submitting your secondary" email. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Has Western received anyones interfolios yet? I got the complete email but the website still says they havent received them

Has Western received anyones interfolios yet? I got the complete email but the website still says they havent received them

Yeah, it took them a few days however.

Got excited for seeing an email from Western in my Inbox. It turned out to be a a "Thank you for submitting your secondary" email. :(

Dude don't sweat it. I submitted my secondary in October and didn't get my interview invite until the end of March!

Got a secondary! Thought my 26 mcat (7,9,10) would prevent them from sending me one but I was wrong yay!

Got a secondary! Thought my 26 mcat (7,9,10) would prevent them from sending me one but I was wrong yay!

How's your GPA? from my understanding, Western is a GPA-lover school. If you have 3.7+, I think they may overlook your lowish mcat.

How's your GPA? from my understanding, Western is a GPA-lover school. If you have 3.7+, I think they may overlook your lowish mcat.

GPA lover school? It's avg MCAT is higher than the avg MCAT of NSU, which people keep referring to as the MCAT loving school.

I think its just a stats loving school in general, being surrounded by UCLA and UCI may have rubbed off a bit on it. :scared:

GPA lover school? It's avg MCAT is higher than the avg MCAT of NSU, which people keep referring to as the MCAT loving school.

I think its just a stats loving school in general, being surrounded by UCLA and UCI may have rubbed off a bit on it. :scared:

NSU 3.42/27
Western 3.54/28

Yeah. Western attracts many low-mid tier MD applicants who want to stay in SoCal.

Western recently updated their demographics page for this year's entering class! Gotta say I'm really impressed...Applications increased by 656 from the 2012 cycle and all 3 GPA categories went up a few ticks. The webpage still say 2012, but I know its for 2013. Here's the rundown:

Applications Received: 5,042
Interviews Granted: 605
Class Size: 220
Overall GPA: 3.56
Science GPA: 3.51
Non-Science GPA: 3.63
MCAT: 28

http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic/competitive-10/

Western recently updated their demographics page for this year's entering class! Gotta say I'm really impressed...Applications increased by 656 from the 2012 cycle and all 3 GPA categories went up a few ticks. The webpage still say 2012, but I know its for 2013. Here's the rundown:

Applications Received: 5,042
Interviews Granted: 605
Class Size: 220
Overall GPA: 3.56
Science GPA: 3.51
Non-Science GPA: 3.63
MCAT: 28

http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic/competitive-10/

No that's 2012, they usually don't update it till a few weeks/months into the start of school. I noticed this was the case last year. The class isn't even final, people are still dropping/adding, would make no sense to update it now.

Members don't see this ad :)
No that's 2012, they usually don't update it till a few weeks/months into the start of school. I noticed this was the case last year. The class isn't even final, people are still dropping/adding, would make no sense to update it now.

I agree it doesn't make sense for Western to update it before orientation. But I know the page changed from last week because I referenced it in a different thread. Also, the entering class of 2012 only had 4,339 applicants according to AACOM.

http://www.aacom.org/data/studentenrollment/Documents/2008-2013_AppEnrollGrad.pdf

Submitted today! Anyone know when the first batch of iis come out?

Good luck everyone!

Got my secondary on 7/18, am going to complete it today or tomorrow (depending when I get around to reviewing my essays, I'm moving this week and it's been kinda crazy.) But I'm SOOO EXCITED :clap:

Got my secondary on 7/18, am going to complete it today or tomorrow (depending when I get around to reviewing my essays, I'm moving this week and it's been kinda crazy.) But I'm SOOO EXCITED :clap:

:love:

Hmm they're still waiting for my LORs. In interfolio did anyone notice a distinction between the Pomona and Lebanon campuses? I just sent it electronically to the Western University Pomona/Lebanon Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine option...there was no further selection for a particular campus.

Hmm they're still waiting for my LORs. In interfolio did anyone notice a distinction between the Pomona and Lebanon campuses? I just sent it electronically to the Western University Pomona/Lebanon Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine option...there was no further selection for a particular campus.

I have this same issue. I think they just haven't downloaded the letters yet from interfolio

I emailed about the letters.. and they are screening em. I used interfolio as well. Should be updated soon, mine showed up.

I know that Western screens fairly heavily before sending secondaries, but does anyone know how long they usually take before sending them out after your application has been released to schools?

I know that Western screens fairly heavily before sending secondaries, but does anyone know how long they usually take before sending them out after your application has been released to schools?

I didn't know they screened heavily. Do they just screen on numbers or do they actually look at ur primary too before sending out a secondary

I got the secondary 6 days after my primary was released from AACOMAS.

Do they really screen for secondaries? This makes me feel a little better.... application process has got me down!

I didn't know they screened heavily. Do they just screen on numbers or do they actually look at ur primary too before sending out a secondary

I guess I can't really say that with certainty, but I was under the impression that they do screen more so than other schools.

I was under the impression they screened heavily too but I think it's mostly numbers. Maybe #hrs of EC's. But probably not essays.

Can you imagine reading all those primary essays? Admissions offices are usually only a few people. I personally can't imagine they would take the time to do that....

Btw the 1650 char limit is too short! :mad:

Completed after an LOR mixup, yay. Bring on that II!

I was under the impression they screened heavily too but I think it's mostly numbers. Maybe #hrs of EC's. But probably not essays.

During preview day I got the impression that number of hours was important >1000 one of the current students said when you count # hours you even include driving time, prep time etc. but that seemed really unrealistic to me :confused:

Hey guys! I am looking for some feedback as I have just received my MCAT scores.

My cGPA is a 3.57 and my sGPA is a 3.36
MCAT: 10 PS 7 VR 9 BS (I hate verbal)
Research: I had one research position involving free health screenings for medically disadvantaged people and another (which I am currently on and is a capstone project for me) that involves the synthesis of molecules used in medicinal chemistry
I have also volunteered for over 130 hours
I am in the honors college at my school, the University of Illinois at Chicago (bio major)
I have also been a tutor for physics, organic chem, gen chem, bio, and Italian
In addition to English I also speak Arabic and Italian and some Spanish as well.

Hey guys! I am looking for some feedback as I have just received my MCAT scores.

My cGPA is a 3.57 and my sGPA is a 3.36
MCAT: 10 PS 7 VR 9 BS (I hate verbal)
Research: I had one research position involving free health screenings for medically disadvantaged people and another (which I am currently on and is a capstone project for me) that involves the synthesis of molecules used in medicinal chemistry
I have also volunteered for over 130 hours
I am in the honors college at my school, the University of Illinois at Chicago (bio major)
I have also been a tutor for physics, organic chem, gen chem, bio, and Italian
In addition to English I also speak Arabic and Italian and some Spanish as well.

Please go to the What Are My Chances section in the forums. Thanks :)

Be prepared to answer what is osteoarthritis medicine? why you chose Osteopathy medicine?

I would immediately discontinue taking advice from this person if I were you.

I would immediately discontinue taking advice from this person if I were you.

Osteoarthritis is a serious condition, my mother has osteoarthritis and this persuaded me to pursue osteoarthritis medicine. :p

Is anyone else having trouble logging into the secondary portal? No matter what browser I use it will not load. I'm following the same link that western sent me and clicking on secondary app but it won't load. Am I going to the right place?

Is anyone else having trouble logging into the secondary portal? No matter what browser I use it will not load. I'm following the same link that western sent me and clicking on secondary app but it won't load. Am I going to the right place?

I had this problem a lot. It seemed to vary proportional to bandwidth capacity and wouldn't work unless I used my home wifi and no one else did. :thumbdown:

Hey guys, I submitted on 7/21 and sent in my LOR via interfolio on 7/18. How long do you guys think it should take for them to have processed my LORs?.

On the status portal it says supplemental and MCAT score received

Hey guys, I submitted on 7/21 and sent in my LOR via interfolio on 7/18. How long do you guys think it should take for them to have processed my LORs?.

On the status portal it says supplemental and MCAT score received

My letters went on 7/17, submitted on 7/22. The app portal still shows my letters missing too, I guess it just takes them a while. Hopefully their slowness doesn't keep our apps from being processed within the 10 day period.

Edit: Sorry...complete email was for Lebanon.

I also received the Preview Day email and thought it to be a tease as well, lol (especially when it starts with "You are invited...").

Last edited:
Why would you guys send your letters before the secondary?

Anybody know if this preview day invite is sent to every applicant or somewhat selective? I would love to go but its a bit of cash to head out there..

My letters went on 7/17, submitted on 7/22. The app portal still shows my letters missing too, I guess it just takes them a while. Hopefully their slowness doesn't keep our apps from being processed within the 10 day period.

Seriously.... That'd be so sad

but I have an invitation in my email to attend WesternU Preview Day. What a tease =)

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree and issue a sad "boooooo" for starting an email with "you are invited to..." anything that isn't actually an interview or a secondary.

You got my hopes up western....I was like :love: and then I was like :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I emailed admissions and I guess it takes 5-10 days for lors to show up on the portal.

Anybody know if this preview day invite is sent to every applicant or somewhat selective? I would love to go but its a bit of cash to head out there..

I also received an email last year for preview day so I doubt it is selective, however, I do recommend going and getting introduced to staff early on, displaying interest, and it's something that you can bring up in an interview when asked "Why Western?" If you are very serious about the school then I would attend.

I submitted an update to this school yesterday because of huge new activities, then later on I realized that I forgot to submit my application somehow. Hopefully they don't reject people for silly mistakes!

I also received an email last year for preview day so I doubt it is selective, however, I do recommend going and getting introduced to staff early on, displaying interest, and it's something that you can bring up in an interview when asked "Why Western?" If you are very serious about the school then I would attend.

Yeah I know it would look great and am considering attending. Did you go last year? If so, how was it?

Yeah I know it would look great and am considering attending. Did you go last year? If so, how was it?

I went prior to my interview and it gave me things to talk about that were specific to only Western's program. It shows you've done your research when in the interview, it also gives you a chance to meet admissions staff, OMM staff, and others important members of the faculty. Wear a suit, bring a portfolio, take notes (they mention what they specifically look for in applicants), introduce yourself when possible. It will benefit you in the end. :)

It was similar to what you learn when interviewing. They discuss what classes are taken, how interviews are taken (MMI), financial options, student panel, OMM demo, optional tour, Q & A with faculty 1:1 in the beginning at their respective booths, etc.