Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everyone who received a deferred acceptance in years prior eventually got a call saying there was room for them in the class starting that year. Essentially they start calling the deferred people prior to calling the wait list people once people drop/don't pay deposits (look at years prior to 2017 class threads) . There will be a ton of movement usually around early June that continues until schools commences. Some people actually take the deference and some who got accepted choose to defer as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone who received a deferred acceptance in years prior eventually got a call saying there was room for them in the class starting that year. Essentially they start calling the deferred people prior to calling the wait list people once people drop/don't pay deposits (look at years prior to 2017 class threads) . There will be a ton of movement usually around early June that continues until schools commences. Some people actually take the deference and some who got accepted choose to defer as well.
Everyone? The school told us year before last only 3 people from the wait list made it.

Everyone? The school told us year before last only 3 people from the wait list made it.

There might be a difference between the waitlist and deferred acceptance. I think what's meant is that the deferred acceptance students are called first before the people on the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There might be a difference between the waitlist and deferred acceptance. I think what's meant is that the deferred acceptance students are called first before the people on the waitlist.
Gotcha. Good point.

for those who interviewed early april I think the 4th. They just reviewed those applications. We should hear back soon next week they said

I was waitlisted in september, was offered an acceptance to class of 2018 in feb.

I was waitlisted in september, was offered an acceptance to class of 2018 in feb.

In Feb the class was not full so there wasn't deferred acceptances sent out at that time (from the info I can gather). Getting called off of the wait list that early does happen, but not very often, congrats on your acceptance.

I interviewed 3/20. Got a deferred acceptance today! The letter says since the interview they have received confirmations for a full class and are unable to offer acceptance for 2018 class. Instead I have been offered a seat in the 2019 class. Weird... It doesn't say anything about being on the wait-list for any seats this fall. But to answer any questions, it seems yes the class is now full.

Btw, did you get a confirmation email that they received your deposit/acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! Long time SDN lurker here. Interviewed at COMP on April 3rd and was told that we could expect a letter within 10-15 days. I just got my letter today in the mail -- placed on the alternate list! Kinda bummed but I'm still hopeful. I hear the wait list moves pretty quickly? I think I read that somewhere on here. Anyone else from April 3rd interview hear anything?

*fingers crossed*

Hi everyone! Long time SDN lurker here. Interviewed at COMP on April 3rd and was told that we could expect a letter within 10-15 days. I just got my letter today in the mail -- placed on the alternate list! Kinda bummed but I'm still hopeful. I hear the wait list moves pretty quickly? I think I read that somewhere on here. Anyone else from April 3rd interview hear anything?

*fingers crossed*
ohhh hmm maybe they're sending them out in batches then? we had a pretty large group! i hear there's decent WL movement also so don't lose hope :)

Interviewed April 3rd and got my letter indicating that I'm wait listed today. I live all the way on the east coast too!

Anybody that interviewed April 3rd that has NOT heard anything yet? I haven't heard anything yet.

Did anyone from the April 3rd interview get an outright acceptance for CO2018? Seems pretty clear that the class is full

Any update from anyone?

I also interviewed on the 3rd. I called yesterday about my status and was told that my letter wasn't mailed out yet. Because it is quite late, I was also informed that I would be getting my notification via email sometime this week.

I also interviewed on the 3rd. I called yesterday about my status and was told that my letter wasn't mailed out yet. Because it is quite late, I was also informed that I would be getting my notification via email sometime this week.
Sometime this week? Haha but it's Friday already... Did they mean next week? I can't imagine getting an email over the weekend

Let us know when you hear something!! Good luck

Received letter of deferred acceptance for class of 2019 today in the mail! Interviewed 4/3

I just called, and they said everything was put out in the mail yesterday, but I should receive something via email later today or tomorrow to expedite the process.

For those matriculating that also got into an OOS MD school, why are you choosing COMP? I'm applying this upcoming cycle and am from the area, so I'm pretty excited about Western/COMP.

Got a deferred acceptance today too. Just wondering how much movement you guys will think there will be? Also, is it accurate that deferred people are offered open seats before those who are wait listed?

withdrawing my acceptance here. hope it goes to one of you guys!

I also received a deferred acceptance in the mail yesterday (Interviewed 4/17)

Got my letter in the mail today, alternate.. interviewed 4/17. I'm really hoping some seats open up and they're able to pull people from the waitlist.

Hey guys I decided to create an account with SDN so I could start communicating with some of you potential COMP students. I interviewed March 20th and got my deferred acceptance letter April 25th. I've heard that a lot of movement begins after May 15th through the middle of June, so I'm hoping for the best! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist

Also, in case you are on the deferred admission list and wondering: I called Martha today and asked her if I needed to have my deposit paid in order to be considered for admission this year if a seat opens. She said that you do not.

Also, in case you are on the deferred admission list and wondering: I called Martha today and asked her if I needed to have my deposit paid in order to be considered for admission this year if a seat opens. She said that you do not.

Thanks for the info! Are you planning on paying it? I'm deferred as well and not sure if I should. Also, do you know if there is any ranking to the deferred people?

The letter I got said the deposit isn't due until July, so I'm not in a big hurry to pay it. I don't know for certain if there is any ranking given to the deferred people. What I have heard from several sources both at WesternU and SDN is that deferred people are given priority over waitlisted, but I cannot promise that this is the case. I hope it is!

A good amount of people that I have spoken to in my class had been wait listed. Seems like a large chunk eventually receive an acceptance. GL

For those matriculating that also got into an OOS MD school, why are you choosing COMP? I'm applying this upcoming cycle and am from the area, so I'm pretty excited about Western/COMP.

Lurking back here and want to say that WesternU is highly favored by SoCal'ers who want to stay in SoCal instead of going to a "low tier MD" in the middle of Virginia. Look at their match list this year. It is an unbelievable DO school if you want to nab a residency in California in most specialties, arguably more so than some MD schools on the east coast due to the connections you build in SoCal.