Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lurking back here and want to say that WesternU is highly favored by SoCal'ers who want to stay in SoCal instead of going to a "low tier MD" in the middle of Virginia. Look at their match list this year. It is an unbelievable DO school if you want to nab a residency in California in most specialties, arguably more so than some MD schools on the east coast due to the connections you build in SoCal.

The legendary Anicetus returns!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a link to where you found the actual match list for WesternU?

Lurking back here and want to say that WesternU is highly favored by SoCal'ers who want to stay in SoCal instead of going to a "low tier MD" in the middle of Virginia. Look at their match list this year. It is an unbelievable DO school if you want to nab a residency in California in most specialties, arguably more so than some MD schools on the east coast due to the connections you build in SoCal.

Thank you! I definitely want to get into a CA residency. Right now I'm aiming for UCR MD but would love to go to WesternU. Any advice on shadowing a DO for those that were accepted? Did you need a letter of rec from one to get in?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was recently waitlisted here. I don't really have any updates (I've been out of college for 4 years and have had the same job since graduation). I was still going to send a letter of intent and ask my volunteer supervisor to write a letter of rec. Is there anything else you guys think would increase my chances of being pulled from the waitlist? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

I was recently waitlisted here. I don't really have any updates (I've been out of college for 4 years and have had the same job since graduation). I was still going to send a letter of intent and ask my volunteer supervisor to write a letter of rec. Is there anything else you guys think would increase my chances of being pulled from the waitlist? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

Letter of intent is a good start. However, I talked to a lot of advisors and they told me that a letter of intent holds little weight if you are not accepted or wait listed at other schools. However, it doesn't hurt to try to express your desire to attend the school. On top of that, extra LOR should be good too if you can get it ASAP. The sooner the better. It looks like the class is full right now so I am not quite sure how the wait list will move…but at the end of the day, those are the two things that you can do if you are in that position. Good Luck!

Thanks! I have a seat held for me at LECOM and will go there if I don't get into Western, but Western is my first choice. I'll get on the LOR and LOI!

I still haven't found a roommate or finalized a place to live yet! Do you think it's getting late for these things?

I know of a few apartments I'd be ok with but I still haven't found someone willing to seriously move forward in signing a lease or whatever. I'm getting worried that everyone already has arrangements!!

I still haven't found a roommate or finalized a place to live yet! Do you think it's getting late for these things?

I know of a few apartments I'd be ok with but I still haven't found someone willing to seriously move forward in signing a lease or whatever. I'm getting worried that everyone already has arrangements!!

Heyyyy!!! Same here!! I was thinking of the same…Still haven't gotten a chance to look for a place to live yet…maybe we can be housemate…ill PM u!

Thanks! I have a seat held for me at LECOM and will go there if I don't get into Western, but Western is my first choice. I'll get on the LOR and LOI!
Also, ask your recommender to write the letter directly to WesternU (ex. Dear WesternU...), to show them that you are interest in attending this school specifically.

Also, ask your recommender to write the letter directly to WesternU (ex. Dear WesternU...), to show them that you are interest in attending this school specifically.
Will do! Thanks

For those who got a deferred acceptance, I got a call that there was a spot for me in this year's entering class. I declined it but movement is occurring for those interested in knowing.

For those who got a deferred acceptance, I got a call that there was a spot for me in this year's entering class. I declined it but movement is occurring for those interested in knowing.
Awesome, thanks for letting us know!

Members don't see this ad :)

Sweet! Thanks for the notice!

Thanks for the notice! Did you pay your deposit already? (For next year)

Woohoo! Very helpful

Thank you for letting us know! I am also interested in knowing whether you had paid the deferred admission deposit or not.

Hello guys...I have some questions regarding my decision to attend WesternU. I was accepted in February and have already sent in my deposit. Right now, I am wait listed at my preferred school and am not sure of what my status will be like in the following month. So here are my questions....

What happens if I accept the financial aid offer for WesternU but then ended up attending the other school (if I do get accepted off of the wait list)? Will there be a full refund?

Next, how late do you think I can wait until I should panic about finding housing near WesternU? I don't want to ask another incoming student to rent a place with me and later leave them hanging because I got accepted to another place.

It would be great if I can get some input. Thank you in advance!!!

Thank you for letting us know! I am also interested in knowing whether you had paid the deferred admission deposit or not.
No, I hadn't paid the deposit. I actually withdrew my application. In the five/six weeks (I was so graciously granted) between my interview and hearing back with the deferred acceptance I got more excited about another school. Maybe my decision would have been different if I'd gotten accepted right after the interview, but I think I made the right decision for me.

Last edited:
Anyone a student here? I want to go here, but can't imagine paying 50k a year!

Its an investment for your future. Make sure you really want this career...once u step in..there is no way out unless u are willing to have a huge loan to pay off...

Do you have a link to where you found the actual match list for WesternU?

My friend gave me the match list for this year. PM me if you like to see the excel file.

Can any fellow students shed some light on paying for tuition? I noticed that the fall tuition is due 8/1/2014. Do we pay the tuition via BanWeb if we do not require financial aid or received a scholarship? I'm asking because I have thoroughly checked BanWeb and do not see a payment tab.

Can any fellow students shed some light on paying for tuition? I noticed that the fall tuition is due 8/1/2014. Do we pay the tuition via BanWeb if we do not require financial aid or received a scholarship? I'm asking because I have thoroughly checked BanWeb and do not see a payment tab.

Try this:
http://www.westernu.edu/bursar/bursar-faqs/

last item on the faq.

Hi everyone! I was accepted in February and I was wondering if anyone had a link to get into the Facebook page for our class?

And secondly, and advice or recommendations about housing situations? I have a dog, so that complicates things.

Halp? :)

Hi everyone! I was accepted in February and I was wondering if anyone had a link to get into the Facebook page for our class?

And secondly, and advice or recommendations about housing situations? I have a dog, so that complicates things.

Halp? :)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/318308588308316/

In regards to your second concern, you may find some help on the FB page.

So I'm currently working on submitting all my documents and things by the June 1st deadline and I have a quick question for those of you who have already complete this. How did you guys submit the "Personal Competences for Admissions and Matriculation" form? Did you send it via mail or email? Thank you!! :)

Those accepted from deferred list had you paid your deposit for class of 2019 before being accepted? Just trying to see if they are accepting those who are Paying the deposit already?

Hi guys, if anyone is still looking for a place, I have my studio at The Helix available now. I moved home to study for the boards. I lived there for first and second years and the convenience is invaluable.

Congrats! When did you receive your deferred acceptance? Did you send in a letter of intent at any point?
Sent multiple LOIs and then sent a physical one with my deposit. Got a call 2 days after they got my deposit!

Hey guys, I am applying as a hispanic female from the University of Chicago. My science gpa is 3.21 cumulative is 3.32 non science 3.45 and first MCAT 28. This is my first choice and I was wondering if I have a good shot. I know my GPA is low but I would really appreciate any advice from present students as to what I can do to optimize my chances. Additionally, my Personal Statement for allopathic medical schools is already holistically oriented but it doesn’t specifically say "osteopathic medicine"...is this advised? I have translational research experience with swine models of heart disease, will have 3 publications, a book chapter DO shadowing, MD shadowing in Bogota, Colombia and Miami, ER volunteer, elementary school after school art program teaching, Globemed, community service, great letters of rec, committee letter of rec from my school. I really want to go here! If anyone who is a student here would be willing to read my personal statement/give me advice I would be forever grateful.

Hey guys, I am applying as a hispanic female from the University of Chicago. My science gpa is 3.21 cumulative is 3.32 non science 3.45 and first MCAT 28. This is my first choice and I was wondering if I have a good shot. I know my GPA is low but I would really appreciate any advice from present students as to what I can do to optimize my chances. Additionally, my Personal Statement for allopathic medical schools is already holistically oriented but it doesn’t specifically say "osteopathic medicine"...is this advised? I have translational research experience with swine models of heart disease, will have 3 publications, a book chapter DO shadowing, MD shadowing in Bogota, Colombia and Miami, ER volunteer, elementary school after school art program teaching, Globemed, community service, great letters of rec, committee letter of rec from my school. I really want to go here! If anyone who is a student here would be willing to read my personal statement/give me advice I would be forever grateful.
I'd honestly be surprised if they didn't accept you.

are yo ua student here? Really? Despite my low GPA? I struggles with Gen Chem and Ochem the first two years because I had never taken them in high school since my upper level IB course was Biology, but I retook the Ochem Courses at my school and received A's. Is this looked upon in a positive light? I am applying to Allopathic Schools as well but if I had my first choice this would definitely be it! Do you have any advice to convey this to the school besides secondaries?

are yo ua student here? Really? Despite my low GPA? I struggles with Gen Chem and Ochem the first two years because I had never taken them in high school since my upper level IB course was Biology, but I retook the Ochem Courses at my school and received A's. Is this looked upon in a positive light? I am applying to Allopathic Schools as well but if I had my first choice this would definitely be it! Do you have any advice to convey this to the school besides secondaries?
Yes, I'm a student here.

One of the important things to know about Western is that we aren't in the high stat business like some others. If you fall within the standard deviation, you have a shot. At that point it boils down to who you are as a person and how it is perceived that you really want to be here. I recommend everyone to go to preview day if they can. I couldn't, but I know several people that did and believe it helped them immensely to get their name out there. Conveying that you want to be here is much simpler than you might believe. It's about understanding what the school offers, how it fits to you and what you plan on doing. For example, we have a diabetes institute. Is this a topic important for you? Talk about it. You are Hispanic (so am I), so when I wrote my secondaries, I stressed how the area is high in Hispanic population and would allow me to serve my people from the beginning of my career. Trust me, the school will not penalize you because of a few unflattering grades. Instead, they will look at what you've done (and you've done a lot!) and then evaluate how you fit into the community. The school has international missions as the one you've had, so clearly parts of you already fit. It's about conveying that. Once you get to the interview, just reflect what you wrote and show your humanity when the time is right (you'll know when that is).

Thank you so much. Do you have any advice on the personal statement question?

Thank you so much. Do you have any advice on the personal statement question?
Not really. It's your story. Just make sure your grammar and spelling are spot on. I had my English major friend look over mine.

I'm officially accepted into the class of 2018! I received my phone call from admissions this past Monday asking me if I wanted to start this year, was previously offered deferred acceptance into the class of 2019.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm officially accepted into the class of 2018! I received my phone call from admissions this past Monday asking me if I wanted to start this year, was previously offered deferred acceptance into the class of 2019.

Congrats! Same for me! Did you receive any follow up information on what we have to do? I know on the phone they said a lot of stuff but I was so excited I couldn't keep track lol

Congrats, guys! I can't wait to start ISAC.

Anyone else notice that we don't have a facebook group anymore? Sure, it has the name and all, but it has become the c/o 2017's sublease craigslist.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats, guys! I can't wait to start ISAC.

Anyone else notice that we don't have a facebook group anymore? Sure, it has the name and all, but it has become the c/o 2017's sublease craigslist.

Yes, and it's incredibly irritating.