Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats guys. How were you informed of your interview? What days of the week were available for interview?
Email for me. There were only 2 dates available to select from (Sept 12 & 28) and you were asked to rank your first and second choices.

Members don't see this ad.

Email for me. There were only 2 dates available to select from (Sept 12 & 28) and you were asked to rank your first and second choices.

Thanks.

BTW, I'm rooting for you. Despite the initial disappointment (LECOM), the application cycle has been going well for you. Keep it up.

Thanks.

BTW, I'm rooting for you. Despite the initial disappointment (LECOM), the application cycle has been going well for you. Keep it up.
Thanks Ibn. You'll do great as well :thumbup:

I cannot find my essay for the prompt: What was your most memorable community service
activity and how did it impact you?

I can imagine what I wrote, but for some reason I never saved that particular essay. I hope that doesn't come back to haunt me :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Woot II invite today
Selected the 12 as my first choice.

This year our interviews are a hybrid of the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) and the traditional panel interview. We feel that these two interview formats will provide you with the greatest opportunity to share your strengths and interest in Osteopathic Medicine.

Does this mean there will be two interviews one MMI and another regular one on one?
:scared:

Yep, that's what it's looking like. The whole setup seems pretty stressful actually lol.

Question: I got an invite in CA too, but I also applied to the Northwest location. Is this interview for both locations?

Congrats to everyone with II's!! When were you complete?

According to the college information book, the MMI is only 2 stations of 5 minutes each...unless I'm reading this wrong - can't be THAT bad, right?

Submitted secondary today. I'm OOS with 3.1s/3.3c/32. I actually received the secondary email 11 days ago. We'll see how it plays out.:laugh:

II as well! I selected only the 28'th as the only other option was 9/12 and I have another interview that day. Hopefully I get confirmed for 9/28 though! Long haul for me from Boston but excited to check out the school. Hopefully see you all there!

According to the college information book, the MMI is only 2 stations of 5 minutes each...unless I'm reading this wrong - can't be THAT bad, right?

It feels like a lot longer when you're in there!

It isn't really all that bad though. Just be compassionate and don't pretend to know stuff that you don't know.

It feels like a lot longer when you're in there!

It isn't really all that bad though. Just be compassionate and don't pretend to know stuff that you don't know.

Any tips for those of us who are preparing for our interview here?

Members don't see this ad :)
For MMI interviews, does anyone know if they give you a print out of the questions on the day of the interview? I'm just wondering because some of the sample MMI questions i've been reading about are pretty long and detailed. I think I would be able to answer the questions a lot better if I could follow along while they're asking me the question.

For MMI interviews, does anyone know if they give you a print out of the questions on the day of the interview? I'm just wondering because some of the sample MMI questions i've been reading about are pretty long and detailed. I think I would be able to answer the questions a lot better if I could follow along while they're asking me the question.

So how it works is you sit outside of the station for two minutes. Outside the room there is the paper posted that has the prompt/question. At the end of the two minutes. You enter the room and talk to the interviewer who will ask you more about the Question/prompt. Some questions are scenarios that you act out with the interviewer in the room. The time you are with the interviewer ranges anywhere from 5-10 minutes.

I know it sounds intimidating but it's actually pretty fun.

Any tips for those of us who are preparing for our interview here?

I did not prepare for the MMI's and it turned out to be fine. It's not like they already expect you to have all the knowledge that a doctor does! Just remember those two things I wrote above while you're in there. We aren't allowed to give out any details about the MMI's.

As for the traditional interview, it's the same as any other.

Released 8/8
Still no secondary invite..

For those of you who got secondaries, how long did it take to get one after your app was released?

Mine was releases yesterday and I haven't heard that they received it.

Does this school have cutoffs?
I'm instate with 11,6,10 MCAT and I fear I will get screened out

For those of you who got secondaries, how long did it take to get one after your app was released?

It took me a few days to get the secondary email. I'm not sure about cutoffs for verbal.

Just got my very first II today! I chose the 9/12 date :)

My app was verified 7/11 and I received a secondary on 7/25!

Gratz to everyone who has ii's so far! I'm so jelly :p

Just got complete secondary today. I turned in my essays and MCAT 7/25 but my LORs never showed up. Emailed them about my LORs and they said they've had them for over 2 weeks (since the end of July :eek:), just haven't posted them. So they've finally put them up on BanWeb. :clap:

I'm a bundle of nerves lol.

Last edited:
Gratz to everyone who has ii's so far! I'm so jelly :p

Just got complete secondary today. I turned in my essays and MCAT 7/25 but my LORs never showed up. Emailed them about my LORs and they said they've had them for over 2 weeks (since the end of July :O), just haven't posted them. So they've finally put them up on BanWeb. :clap:

I'm a bundle of nerves lol.

You'll be fine.

Is this school primarily IS acceptances, or will those of us who are OOS interviewing going to get a fair shot?

Is this school primarily IS acceptances, or will those of us who are OOS interviewing going to get a fair shot?

Western is private. I think OOS will get a fair shot. That being said, I think the website says something like ~80% is from CA. But I think thats because just more IS people apply than OOS.

I was told by admissions that there's no preference.

Awesome. Thanks! The more I read about this school, the more intrigued and excited I am :)

Does anyone else have multiple research or teaching experiences? If so, did you discuss them separately or combine them into a general response? Any suggestions appreciated. thanks everyone!

Anyone know this school's policy on letters of recommendation? I can't seem to find it. Do they accept additional letters?

Just to make sure I understand -- we only send letters to the Pomona campus, but Northwest will get them too, correct?

Was anyone told when the interview day ends? Trying to look at flights but I'm not seeing anything fly out past 3:30, not sure if that's cutting it too close.

Was anyone told when the interview day ends? Trying to look at flights but I'm not seeing anything fly out past 3:30, not sure if that's cutting it too close.

Until about 2pm I believe

I combined my significance responses into one general essay, but I explained how each experience added something unique to the significance.

I don't know for sure, but I am attending the preview day this weekend. I'll try and find out for you. What day of the week is your interview on?

It's on Saturday the 28th (Sept). Thanks a lot! :)

I can't believe it. I got an ii :)

Scheduled for October 10 or 26. Now waiting for the confirmation to know which date I'm on.

I'm so excited.

I can't believe it. I got an ii :)

Scheduled for October 10 or 26. Now waiting for the confirmation to know which date I'm on.

I'm so excited.
YES! Way to go dude!! Too bad you aren't interviewing on September 28 :( I hope we get accepted to, and matriculate into the same school as I'd love to finally meet you. You've come a long way from your first MCAT score. Great job!

The interview day ends around 2:00 per admissions, in case anyone else is wondering.

Anyone going to the Preview Day tomorrow? :D