Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alright everybody, buckle up. This ride is going to be wild!

Reactions: 1 user
One of my top choices. Hope I get some love. c:

Members don't see this ad :)
Excited to be in this wild ride! One of my top choices.

One of my top choices as well, as an international student. good luck to you all out there.

Does anyone heard of or know anyone who has gotten into Western with less than a 3.5 and 28?

I spoke to them about doing research as a med student a week or two ago. Since I'm doing an MS, now, I'd like to continue research as a med student. They said that there is an opportunity for this during the Summer's between years 1 and 2, if anyone is curious.

This school is one of my top choices.

Does anyone heard of or know anyone who has gotten into Western with less than a 3.5 and 28?

I was accepted with a 3.9s gpa and a 26. While they have high mcat/gpa averages, I believe they weigh other aspects of your application heavily as well.

I was accepted with a 3.9s gpa and a 26. While they have high mcat/gpa averages, I believe they weigh other aspects of your application heavily as well.
3.9 is really good :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Do you think that there is a regional preference? I'm from Northern California, but went to UCLA.

I may talk about wanting to work in rural Northern California or Southern California at some point (essays, interviews).

Do you think that there is a regional preference? I'm from Northern California, but went to UCLA.

I may talk about wanting to work in rural Northern California or Southern California at some point (essays, interviews).

That's tough to say. I'm from TN, which I think may have helped a little just because there are rarely people who apply from Appalachia.

As far as the essays go, I felt that the ones I wrote for Western were some of the best out of all of the secondaries I submitted.

Does anyone know if the school have an international program?

Not sure what your question is exactly. But if you are asking whether the school accepts international students or not, the answer is yes.

One of my top choices! cGPA: 3.55, sGPA: 3.81, MCAT: 29

Western is a school that's definitely very interested in your stats but they are also really interested in your story and experiences. I really didn't have much experience in medical work or volunteering. my only medical volunteering experience was volunteering at Red Cross blood drives for the few months before I applied. but I had some interesting life experiences, teaching experience, and research experience (not medically related research btw).

I had an undergrad cGPA of 3.3, my mcat was a 28 and I got accepted. the interview is really important too, so make sure your sharpening up your skills if you feel interviews are your weak point. it was definitely one of my more nerve wracking experiences since i didn't get much feedback from my interviewers during the half hour but apparently they liked me. a lot of people who got in felt like COMP interview was one of their worst interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, myself. In all fairness though, my sGPA was 3.6 and consistent of post-bacc work 4 years after my bachelors. If you must know, 3.2/3.6/27.

I don't know the exact statistic, but it's somewhere around 60%+ that come from California. I'm from Northern California and have never lived, worked or attended school in Southern California.

Western is a school that's definitely very interested in your stats but they are also really interested in your story and experiences. I really didn't have much experience in medical work or volunteering. my only medical volunteering experience was volunteering at Red Cross blood drives for the few months before I applied. but I had some interesting life experiences, teaching experience, and research experience (not medically related research btw).

I had an undergrad cGPA of 3.3, my mcat was a 28 and I got accepted. the interview is really important too, so make sure your sharpening up your skills if you feel interviews are your weak point. it was definitely one of my more nerve wracking experiences since i didn't get much feedback from my interviewers during the half hour but apparently they liked me. a lot of people who got in felt like COMP interview was one of their worst interviews.

cBlock, guylewis, and AlbinoHawk:

Do you guys mind sharing your exact MCAT breakdowns and whether or not you applied with a DO letter or not? Thanks!

Do you guys mind sharing your exact MCAT breakdowns and whether or not you applied with a DO letter or not? Thanks!

9/10/7. No DO letter.

Last edited:

8 PS, 9 VR, 10 BS. I not only had a DO letter but was president and co-founder of the Pre-SOMA at my school and had a letter from our national director.

Western U/COMP is my top choice as well. I have a 3.58 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA, 27 MCAT (9/8/10), and strong LORs (1 from Western U/COMP alum). I'm debating if I should retake my MCAT since my score is slightly below their average I have no research experience.

Western U/COMP is my top choice as well. I have a 3.58 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA, 27 MCAT (9/8/10), and strong LORs (1 from Western U/COMP alum). I'm debating if I should retake my MCAT since my score is slightly below their average I have no research experience.
A point or two won't make a difference. You're within the average, which is what is important. I'd strongly suggest that instead you work on your application and conveying why the school is a good fit for you. Try to show that you have a good understanding of how the curriculum works and what kind of opportunities the school offers that you'd like to contribute to.

Best of luck.

11/8/9 with two DO letters of rec from two Western DOs. I also volunteered and shadowed with a couple of the Western DO events as well as the various clinics associated with the school so I showed my definite interest in going there

A point or two won't make a difference. You're within the average, which is what is important. I'd strongly suggest that instead you work on your application and conveying why the school is a good fit for you. Try to show that you have a good understanding of how the curriculum works and what kind of opportunities the school offers that you'd like to contribute to.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice!

a lot of people who got in felt like COMP interview was one of their worst interviews.

That's the sign of a good interviewer. They don't allow pre-canned answers and will dig into what you say a bit, see how you react to stress and some tension.

Hi everyone! Just submitted my application. Born/raised in SoCal and would LOVE to attend Western. Non-trad 3.7x/3.8x. MCAT score comes out June 10th. I unfortunately do not have a letter from a D.O., but I have discussed OMM with a D.O. and find it very interesting! I am excited to apply to Western especially because D.O. schools usually have more non-trads like myself.

I have not been able to attend a preview day, but I was able to attend the Webinar held a few weeks ago. If I didn't have to work this Saturday, I would have went to this one. Anyone else going?

Anyway, best of luck!

Wishing you luck in this upcoming cycle, if you have any questions feel free to PM me. I'm a current student here finishing up year 1.

Hi everyone! Just submitted my application. Born/raised in SoCal and would LOVE to attend Western. Non-trad 3.7x/3.8x. MCAT score comes out June 10th. I unfortunately do not have a letter from a D.O., but I have discussed OMM with a D.O. and find it very interesting! I am excited to apply to Western especially because D.O. schools usually have more non-trads like myself.

I have not been able to attend a preview day, but I was able to attend the Webinar held a few weeks ago. If I didn't have to work this Saturday, I would have went to this one. Anyone else going?

Anyway, best of luck!
You are in good shape so far, but I will stress that showing you are committed to joining this college goes a long way. If you have vacation days to allow yourself to go to preview day, it's in your best interest.

Of course, it's not about just passively coming here but getting your name out and to have things to talk about on your interview. That said, many get in without doing preview day, so don't think it's over if you don't. However, if you're from the area and you haven't visited, I'd question the commitment.

You are in good shape so far, but I will stress that showing you are committed to joining this college goes a long way. If you have vacation days to allow yourself to go to preview day, it's in your best interest.

Of course, it's not about just passively coming here but getting your name out and to have things to talk about on your interview. That said, many get in without doing preview day, so don't think it's over if you don't. However, if you're from the area and you haven't visited, I'd question the commitment.

I totally agree. Unfortunately as a non-trad, my time since I started pursuing medicine has been full of research/volunteer/shadowing/pre-reqs/work (I did all of this in less than 2 years). During every preview day so far I have been in class (I took weekend classes in addition to 'normal' classes and everything else I mentioned). This is the first weekend that I am not in class for preview day, but it also happens to fall on one of the most important days at my job. I will be able to attend the next preview day, but I don't know if it'll help since applications may already all be complete (though I guess if I am waitlisted or something it would help a lot).

I totally agree. Unfortunately as a non-trad, my time since I started pursuing medicine has been full of research/volunteer/shadowing/pre-reqs/work (I did all of this in less than 2 years). During every preview day so far I have been in class (I took weekend classes in addition to 'normal' classes and everything else I mentioned). This is the first weekend that I am not in class for preview day, but it also happens to fall on one of the most important days at my job. I will be able to attend the next preview day, but I don't know if it'll help since applications may already all be complete (though I guess if I am waitlisted or something it would help a lot).
It might. It might not. I've heard of June applicants getting an invite to interview in February.

By the way, I totally feel you on the non-trad thing. I'm non-trad also.

Would anyone happen to know or have the secondary prompts from last year so we can start pre-writing?

Not sure what your question is exactly. But if you are asking whether the school accepts international students or not, the answer is yes.

I meant it as if they allow/provide international clerkship opportunities during third and fourth years.

11/8/9 with two DO letters of rec from two Western DOs. I also volunteered and shadowed with a couple of the Western DO events as well as the various clinics associated with the school so I showed my definite interest in going there

Awesome! Congratulations on getting in :) How would I find out about volunteering opportunities at Western DO events?

I meant it as if they allow/provide international clerkship opportunities during third and fourth years.

They will allow you to do it if you meet certain requirements and set it up and pay for it yourself. There are usually groups of students who do a study abroad thing between 1st and 2nd year. Again you have to fund it and set it up yourself.

They will allow you to do it if you meet certain requirements and set it up and pay for it yourself. There are usually groups of students who do a study abroad thing between 1st and 2nd year. Again you have to fund it and set it up yourself.

Haha, I like your little MRSA doll avatar. I did research on MRSA and we had a million of those things around the office.

Awesome! Congratulations on getting in :) How would I find out about volunteering opportunities at Western DO events?
if you can speak Spanish then they have tons of great clinic shadowing/volunteering opportunities with the LMSA (Latino Medical Student Assosciation) mentorship at Western. they need spanish translators for a lot of the low cost/free clinics they have for the community.

Last edited:
if you can speak Spanish then they have tons of great clinic shadowing/volunteering opportunities with the LMSA (Latino Medical Student Assosciation) mentorship at Western. they need spanish translators for a lot of the low cost/free clinics they have for the community.

Things may have changed but during my first two years LMSA did only one, maybe two health screening type events. There was however the Montclair Free Clinic that was I think five days a week and many students were quite involved with it (I was not). Spanish was not a prerequisite for that and it was basically an outpatient family medicine type clinic. Again, it's possible things have changed, maybe a current 1st or 2nd year can comment.

Things may have changed but during my first two years LMSA did only one, maybe two health screening type events. There was however the Montclair Free Clinic that was I think five days a week and many students were quite involved with it (I was not). Spanish was not a prerequisite for that and it was basically an outpatient family medicine type clinic. Again, it's possible things have changed, maybe a current 1st or 2nd year can comment.
definitely has changed. there are shadowing opportunities weekly at the PCC, montclair clinic and a bunch of events that reach out to the community. for the montclair clinic and the community events you need to speak spanish but you don't need to if you're shadowing at the PCC. there are so many opportunities that I was able to get enough shadowing done between my primary application being turned in and my secondary application that I had a new letter of rec and I was able to discuss my experiences in my secondary essays

Would anyone happen to know or have the secondary prompts from last year so we can start pre-writing?

As per last year's thread, these were the secondary prompts:
1) How did your shadowing experience solidify your decision to become an osteopathic physician? (1650 char)
2) Describe your community service experiences and explain why they were important to you. (1650 char)
Characters: 1650 or below PER essay

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else going to the preview day tomorrow?

Does anyone here know whether the school sends out secondaries to all applicants, or what do they screen for before sending secondaries?

Does anyone here know whether the school sends out secondaries to all applicants, or what do they screen for before sending secondaries?
I don't remember for sure, but if you have over a 3.0/23, you'll get one.

Is having a DO LOR heavily weighed into your application here? I shadowed 4 MD's and could never get a D.O... Kind of odd, I know.....

Is having a DO LOR heavily weighed into your application here? I shadowed 4 MD's and could never get a D.O... Kind of odd, I know.....

People I know did not have a DO letter and still were accepted, it's not necessary but shadowing one does help you to explain why you want to go to a DO school.