Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how full the class is at this point?

Reactions: 1 users
Interview invite!! I'm shocked tbh haha. 3.7 gpa and 26/25 MCAT. Anyone else interviewing February 5?

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone from the 12/13 interview group heard back yet? Or does anyone know when they will be sending decisions out?

Thank you for the great replies! Really appreciate it! @guylewis and @snaq What do you guys think about books/supplies? Anything required that you buy? Or do you just use class notes/slides and your own outside materials? Do you guys have any suggestions on living? I heard there is a place called the Daumier that is on campus that just opened.

So here's my take on it and the above conversation
First off, everyones gonna have their opinion and even if I swear to you that Western is the greatest place in the world and even if it is the greatest school ever made, you may hate it and that's perfectly ok (not really but you get the point I'm making). I personally love it here, but that's me. I would say this, wherever you go, med school is what you make of it and the type of doctor you'll become depends entirely on you.

In regards to Albino Hawk and guylewis' views of ISAC and the school in general. Its their opinion. What Albino says is true, you might get a different grade for the exact same soap but honestly, you're gonna have preceptors on rotations that will hate the style of work that a previous preceptor loved and you'll have to adapt. Yeah it sucks that its your grade but that's just how it is and most people pass ECM anyways (correct me if I'm wrong anyone). The way that I look at it, I'm there to learn what to do and how to do it. If I loose points because someone didn't like the way I did something, I ask about it, think about it and move on. Those points aren't going to be remembered 10 years down the line but maybe they have good criticism about my work, who knows.

Ok, ISAC... I had been out of school for a year so I didn't mind giving up my summer and I was actually able to get more involved during the year. Personally, if I had the opportunity to make 4k in the summer, I wouldn't take it instead of ISAC because its not much money in the big scheme of things. I also liked really getting to know my peers and helping them out with stuff I struggled with. Some of my closest friends at Western are people I helped when I facilitated. Addressing the points that were made (note these are all my opinion):
1) "I think there were some really good faculty members for anatomy but there were definitely ****ty faculty that wrote some of the stupidest questions I have ever seen." True, but honestly there's faculty that aren't the greatest of teachers anywhere you go (although this just may be a preference of learning styles.. there have been teachers styles I dislike that others loved). As for questions, same, it'll happen wherever you go!

2) "Facilities are nothing special either. If anything, they overly crowded and with poor ventilation." The anatomy lab sometimes did have bad ventilation which sucked but we didn't have that problem in ISAC and it was just a crowding thing I think. You're there for 10 weeks max though... really not a thing to base a decision off of. I will say that the full body dissections taught me a lot and I gained a greater understanding of the immense variations in our bodies. Anatomy's not for everyone, I personally loved it but maybe I'm just weird. As for other facilities, the school isn't very big but its growing. If somethings a big problem they'll fix it and if you get enough students to complain about something, they'll fix it or try their best. Meeting with a lot of people from Student Affairs, I truely believe they're here to help us. I honestly think that the HEC is fine with what I need and I find quiet places to study no problem, I might not have an entire study room to myself but meehhh, I don't need that.

3) Yes they really don't pay much to facilitate but nobody in their right mind would ever facilitate to make money, that's just a bonus (a very small one). I actually did LEAD tutoring so I can force myself to better learn the material, not to make money. Like I said, just a small bonus. But yes, Albino is right, you sign a contract so you'll be forced to facilitate if you score above an 80 and they don't have enough people. Technically you can opt to not do that but that would require writing a 20 page paper on a topic of the profs choice... doable I guess since you're not doing anything else.

4) Learning the hand in one day... yeah that sucked but that's med school! I honestly wish I was able to just learn the hand in one day again because that's pretty easy compared to some of the stuff we gotta learn now... but again, that's just me.

@AlbinoHawk DO and @guylewis make valid points in that what you experience will be completely different from what I experienced. We can only share that and no one opinion is more valid. My views are a bit skewed of course having been in ISAC but that doesn't discredit them I don't believe. Please let me know if I misrepresented any of your views or if it sounds like I'm picking on anyone, that was not my intention.

Also feel free to message me if you have any questions, I'll be sure to check this more often! Good luck everyone and I sincerely hope to see you all in next years class! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Oh and as far as the books, I bought Netters and First aid... you probably won't need many books because you don't have time and the lecture ppts and notes are enough I think. Also there's the internet with many interesting knowledges so you really won't need much. But if you must, speak to a 2nd year, they'll be able to sell you their old ones or maybe pdfs or something (shhh).
And as far as the daumier goes, I don't actually live there. I live at home and I commute. its a bit far but its not too bad and I've survived so far :)

Reactions: 1 user
Interview invite!! I'm shocked tbh haha. 3.7 gpa and 26/25 MCAT. Anyone else interviewing February 5?

same here, I was put on hold a week ago too and received II yesterday. Good luck and see you there!!

Reactions: 1 users
First off, everyones gonna have their opinion and even if I swear to you that Western is the greatest place in the world and even if it is the greatest school ever made, you may hate it and that's perfectly ok (not really but you get the point I'm making). I personally love it here, but that's me. I would say this, wherever you go, med school is what you make of it and the type of doctor you'll become depends entirely on you.

In regards to Albino Hawk and guylewis' views of ISAC and the school in general. Its their opinion. What Albino says is true, you might get a different grade for the exact same soap but honestly, you're gonna have preceptors on rotations that will hate the style of work that a previous preceptor loved and you'll have to adapt. Yeah it sucks that its your grade but that's just how it is and most people pass ECM anyways (correct me if I'm wrong anyone). The way that I look at it, I'm there to learn what to do and how to do it. If I loose points because someone didn't like the way I did something, I ask about it, think about it and move on. Those points aren't going to be remembered 10 years down the line but maybe they have good criticism about my work, who knows.

Ok, ISAC... I had been out of school for a year so I didn't mind giving up my summer and I was actually able to get more involved during the year. Personally, if I had the opportunity to make 4k in the summer, I wouldn't take it instead of ISAC because its not much money in the big scheme of things. I also liked really getting to know my peers and helping them out with stuff I struggled with. Some of my closest friends at Western are people I helped when I facilitated. Addressing the points that were made (note these are all my opinion):
1) "I think there were some really good faculty members for anatomy but there were definitely ****ty faculty that wrote some of the stupidest questions I have ever seen." True, but honestly there's faculty that aren't the greatest of teachers anywhere you go (although this just may be a preference of learning styles.. there have been teachers styles I dislike that others loved). As for questions, same, it'll happen wherever you go!

2) "Facilities are nothing special either. If anything, they overly crowded and with poor ventilation." The anatomy lab sometimes did have bad ventilation which sucked but we didn't have that problem in ISAC and it was just a crowding thing I think. You're there for 10 weeks max though... really not a thing to base a decision off of. I will say that the full body dissections taught me a lot and I gained a greater understanding of the immense variations in our bodies. Anatomy's not for everyone, I personally loved it but maybe I'm just weird. As for other facilities, the school isn't very big but its growing. If somethings a big problem they'll fix it and if you get enough students to complain about something, they'll fix it or try their best. Meeting with a lot of people from Student Affairs, I truely believe they're here to help us. I honestly think that the HEC is fine with what I need and I find quiet places to study no problem, I might not have an entire study room to myself but meehhh, I don't need that.

3) Yes they really don't pay much to facilitate but nobody in their right mind would ever facilitate to make money, that's just a bonus (a very small one). I actually did LEAD tutoring so I can force myself to better learn the material, not to make money. Like I said, just a small bonus. But yes, Albino is right, you sign a contract so you'll be forced to facilitate if you score above an 80 and they don't have enough people. Technically you can opt to not do that but that would require writing a 20 page paper on a topic of the profs choice... doable I guess since you're not doing anything else.

4) Learning the hand in one day... yeah that sucked but that's med school! I honestly wish I was able to just learn the hand in one day again because that's pretty easy compared to some of the stuff we gotta learn now... but again, that's just me.

@AlbinoHawk DO and @guylewis make valid points in that what you experience will be completely different from what I experienced. We can only share that and no one opinion is more valid. My views are a bit skewed of course having been in ISAC but that doesn't discredit them I don't believe. Please let me know if I misrepresented any of your views or if it sounds like I'm picking on anyone, that was not my intention.

Also feel free to message me if you have any questions, I'll be sure to check this more often! Good luck everyone and I sincerely hope to see you all in next years class! :)
I definitely agree that perception can vary greatly, and I'm actually glad things worked out for you.

I just wanted to add that I agree with your comment about books. For this course, aside from Netters or Gilroy (Thieme), there's nothing else that's essential. I agree that FA is a good supplement, but also we must keep in mind that anatomy is very low yield for the boards; so I think it's a good source for HY but not necessarily enough to be successful in the course.

If anyone else is staying at the comfort inn on 28th lets meet up.. It would be interesting to get to know other interviewees. .

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone from the 12/13 interview group heard back yet? Or does anyone know when they will be sending decisions out?

Interviewed 12/3 and was accepted 1/5. I actually got a call from the dean before receiving the letter in the mail. Not sure if that was standard procedure or not! Western is one of my top choices so that I can stay in California. Does anyone know if Western pushes students to do primary care? It seems like their students lean more heavily towards that than some other schools.

Interviewed 12/3 and was accepted 1/5. I actually got a call from the dean before receiving the letter in the mail. Not sure if that was standard procedure or not! Western is one of my top choices so that I can stay in California. Does anyone know if Western pushes students to do primary care? It seems like their students lean more heavily towards that than some other schools.
They don't seem to push for primary, but you'll need to do some legwork finding research opportunities if you are looking for a competitive specialty, as they aren't as common at DO schools is what I've heard.

Well said!

Ive been complete since nov and haven't heard anything yet. Should I call them? Or do the look poorly on that

Ive been complete since nov and haven't heard anything yet. Should I call them? Or do the look poorly on that
i just called their admissions asking about how full their class was as of today and she said its about 50-55% full at this point. they just made decisions about a few interview dates but she said there should be about half of the class left to fill so i wouldnt give up yet

Reactions: 4 users
has anyone from the 1/10 interview heard back yet???? I know we have a few more days but I'm getting antsy :nailbiting:

has anyone from the 1/10 interview heard back yet???? I know we have a few more days but I'm getting antsy :nailbiting:
I interviewed on 1/10 and was accepted last Friday.

i got put on a pre-interview hold today :( :(
this is my #1 school. is there anything I can do to increase my chances? Should I send them an update letter? I don't have too much to update except I started working as a scribe. Or should I just wait patiently...

i got put on a pre-interview hold today :( :(
this is my #1 school. is there anything I can do to increase my chances? Should I send them an update letter? I don't have too much to update except I started working as a scribe. Or should I just wait patiently...
I got a pre interview hold and got an interview a week later. Their class is only about 50-60% full at this point so don't give up! It's my number one too I can't wait for the interview next week :p I just wanna get in somewhere already haha

I also got a pre-interview hold today. I'm pretty disappointed, but I am glad to hear that some people had favorable outcomes from this!

good luck fight on!

Hey all, I have been on pre-interview hold since November ish. any idea how they WCOM feels about update letters?

I got a pre interview hold and got an interview a week later. Their class is only about 50-60% full at this point so don't give up! It's my number one too I can't wait for the interview next week :p I just wanna get in somewhere already haha

thanks! did you contact the school or send an update letter after your hold?

thanks! did you contact the school or send an update letter after your hold?
I actually called them because I was freaking out after my cusom interview and cusom was full. The admissions lady didn't pick up because she was out (mrs huizar is her name I believe) but someone else did and said they were maybe a tad over half full when I called last week

Last edited:
Hi everyone interviewing tomorrow! Let me know if you're in the area! Just checked in at the comfort inn and would love to meet up! :))

good luck to everyone who interviewed today!!

I got an II today! My app was complete in early January. I know I applied late.............:(

Declined my acceptance here. Hope it goes to one of y'all.

Reactions: 2 users
I live about 45 minutes southwest of WesternU and will be attending in August. To current students--do you think the commute is reasonable, or would you highly recommend finding an apartment somewhere closer to Pomona? The tuition and the rent around the area are scaring me a little, so commuting from home would save a lot of money. But I also know commuting from home would mean a lot of time spent on the road, so there are obvious trade-offs. Any thoughts?

II today! How long did it take for people to hear back about their interview date after selecting it online?

I live about 45 minutes southwest of WesternU and will be attending in August. To current students--do you think the commute is reasonable, or would you highly recommend finding an apartment somewhere closer to Pomona? The tuition and the rent around the area are scaring me a little, so commuting from home would save a lot of money. But I also know commuting from home would mean a lot of time spent on the road, so there are obvious trade-offs. Any thoughts?
I'll be commuting from 91/5 interchange. Anothrr student commutes from approximately the same area and said it takes 45 mins each way and it isn't a issue. You can listen to lectures on the drive or use it as time to de-stress or take a break!

Is there any student host program or anything? The interview email didn't state anything. I am interviewing March 14th plan on flying in the night before any suggestions on where to stay etc. would be awesome

I am interviewing on March 5. I know it would be nice if there was..

I am interviewing on March 5. I know it would be nice if there was..
Did you get any more information then the start time for the day? The confirmation email seemed pretty bare to me other than suggesting to fly into Ontario.

haha It did not have too much information but if your click on one of the links in the email (hotel information, directions, etc) then it takes you to an interview page with a little more information.

haha It did not have too much information but if your click on one of the links in the email (hotel information, directions, etc) then it takes you to an interview page with a little more information.
Oh ok I'll check that out. Definitely excited to check out the school.

Does anyone know if we need to fulfill the reprequiste course before matriculating, since i saw that I have some deficiency hours on the AACOMAS application?

I hate to be a stereotypical pre-med, but I am experiencing mild anxiety over my interview here 2/5. Has anyone heard back since their interview, either good or bad news??