Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes I think so! According to previous year threads when they start giving out deferred acceptances the class is full and whoever drops out they start calling the deferred acceptance people then the alternate list people to fill out the class! Im on the alternate list and The wait is killing me!!! Does anybody know when the last day of interview was?!
That makes sense, is the deferred acceptance ranked at all?

Members don't see this ad.

It means I would have a guaranteed seat in the class of 2020, starting in Aug 2016.
congratulation. With you stats, I guess you also have other acceptances. If you dont mind, I just wonder if you would wait for Western next year or go to different school this year? jUst curious

Hi everyone! I'm usually a follower rather than a poster on SDN, but since I've been watching this thread like a hawk since since my interview, I thought I'd share my status since other people are probably watching too.

I got my deferred acceptance today in the mail!

Stats:
Submitted primary: Oct 2014
Submitted secondary: Feb 2015 (late for personal reasons)
II: Feb 2015
Interview: March 2015
MCAT: V7P10B9 (third attempt)
GPA: 3.92

Good luck everyone with the process, both for this cycle and next! :)

Congrats! What date did you interview in March? I interviewed on the 14th and haven't heard anything yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I think so! According to previous year threads when they start giving out deferred acceptances the class is full and whoever drops out they start calling the deferred acceptance people then the alternate list people to fill out the class! Im on the alternate list and The wait is killing me!!! Does anybody know when the last day of interview was?!
So...whoever from the alternate list will be picked after all the deferred acceptance people from this year get picked if there is any spot available at all. Wow, I stare down quite a long list to get my turn (still from the alternate list)

Congratulations to those accepted! I'm surprised to hear that the class of 2019 is already full.

i guess i must've completely zoned out during interview day, but is there a dress code at western?
Not for most classes. ECM is generally once per week and you usually have to wear professional attire for it. OPP is generally once per week and you have to wear shorts (and a sports bra for women).

Reactions: 1 user
I know westernU lost riverside county rotation spot to UCR
According to our admin, everything is fine for Western students rotating at Riverside. They were asked this specific question at a townhall meeting and said the mix up was that our students were using the wrong school code or something like that.
We still have a few students scheduled to rotate at RCMC as third years next year. We did lose most of our spots there to UCR medical students though.

It shouldn't affect our class but the Chief of surgery at Arrowhead (our main site/residency) is opening a medical school down here in a few years which could spell issues in the future.
There was a group trying to start a new medical school at Arrowhead starting in the Fall of 2016. It doesn't look like that's going to happen - there have been no press updates about it in almost a year, AAMC does not have the school on its list of pre-accredited schools, no facilities have been built (to my knowledge, having been by the proposed site a few months ago), and the web site is pretty much a placeholder. I have heard other reasons as well. So if you're in the class of 2019 or 2020 I'm willing to bet that it will not affect you significantly.

Congrats! What date did you interview in March? I interviewed on the 14th and haven't heard anything yet.

I interviewed on the 5th. The letter they sent me said the class was full at this time. And thanks everyone! I actually wasn't aware that they could call people off the deferred lIst. Do they also pull people off the alternate to the deferred?

Just recieved my rejection email. I interview 3/14. :(
Sorry to hear the bad news; hope you have better luck with other schools. I think Western is the most competitive DO school in the nation; I think a lot of ppl rejected or on waiting list from this school have very good stats that definitely admitted to other DO pro

Has anyone else from 3/14 heard anything back yet?

Hey everyone! Does anyone if western offers deferred acceptance to those that are wait listed. Also, I got wait listed and my interview was in October 23rd. Does anyone know when they start pulling people off the list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Called and asked. They said that once deferred acceptances are given out, they will be given priority once a spot opens up. They also said they've been accepting a few people here and there off the alternate list through out the year. Now that the deferred acceptances are out there, us alternates get to wait! Spots will begin to open up more towards July for us. :) keeping fingers crossed, but ready to reapply to not get my hopes up!

Called and asked. They said that once deferred acceptances are given out, they will be given priority once a spot opens up. They also said they've been accepting a few people here and there off the alternate list through out the year. Now that the deferred acceptances are out there, us alternates get to wait! Spots will begin to open up more towards July for us. :) keeping fingers crossed, but ready to reapply to not get my hopes up!
Hi thanks for the info! Did they by any chance mention numbers (ie. Number of deferred offers)?

Yea i really wanna know the number of deffered acceptances offered too!

Looks like tuition is going up to $53,570 this year...

Hey all!

Could anyone provide insight on if I have a shot here for this upcoming cycle with these stats:

3.8+ cGPA/sGPA 25 MCAT OOS.

Thanks in advance

A shot? Yes.

I know the MCAT is low, and I'm not near the west coast, but would love to go here.
So you think it would be worth applying here? I know it's not be worth my time/money to try for the ny and ca touros and Midwestern, but am hoping to be interviewed/considered here.

I know the MCAT is low, and I'm not near the west coast, but would love to go here.
So you think it would be worth applying here? I know it's not be worth my time/money to try for the ny and ca touros and Midwestern, but am hoping to be interviewed/considered here.
The odds are against you, but it's worth a shot if you like the school. Wouldn't be surprised if their admitted average mcat for the 2014-15 cycle jumped to 29. For your optimal chance make sure you submit your app early and express your desire to attend Western in your secondary.

The odds are against you, but it's worth a shot if you like the school. Wouldn't be surprised if their admitted average mcat for the 2014-15 cycle jumped to 29. For your optimal chance make sure you submit your app early and express your desire to attend Western in your secondary.

Makes sense. Thank you!

It could happen. We had a class member from TN that got in with similar numbers.

I always find this interesting the idea of time and money. Is it worth to spend a few extra hundred dollars to help increase the odds or one less year of salary. It's never a waste of time to fill out apps - I filled out 30 secondaries and don't regret it for a second. Good luck!

any movement for alternate list people?! Wait is killing me!:/

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you with deffered acceptance or on alternate list; just contacted them to see if there has been any movement since April 30th and it seems like there hasnt been any:/ she told me they still have outstanding offers they are waiting on! (Not sure exactly what it means!). Does that mean the class is still over its capacity?!

For those of you with deffered acceptance or on alternate list; just contacted them to see if there has been any movement since April 30th and it seems like there hasnt been any:/ she told me they still have outstanding offers they are waiting on! (Not sure exactly what it means!). Does that mean the class is still over its capacity?!
Probably because you get a grace period of 2 weeks or so to accept or turn down your offer.

Hello everyone, been watching this thread for a while, first time posting though. I recently accepted my admission offer to WesternU, and am looking for current/previous students to help me out with the process. My two weeks (to accept my offer) isn't up yet, so I suspect there will be some movement down the list soon as people start responding back.

Hello everyone, been watching this thread for a while, first time posting though. I recently accepted my admission offer to WesternU, and am looking for current/previous students to help me out with the process. My two weeks (to accept my offer) isn't up yet, so I suspect there will be some movement down the list soon as people start responding back.
Hi! If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview? And when were you offered admission?

Thanks!

i was under the impression that the last set of interviews was in March! Did you interview later?!

i was under the impression that the last set of interviews was in March! Did you interview later?!

Actually there were huge delays with the admissions committee so they didn't meet until mid-April.

has anyone received any scholarship/grant from WesternU?

any movement for alternate lists?! Do you think we will see some movement next week Now that May 15th passed?

Saw this post today at WesternU Lebanon:

"After May 15 of the year of matriculation, each medical college may implement college-specific procedures for accepted students who hold one or more seats at other medical colleges.
Starting April 1, osteopathic medical colleges report to AACOMAS the names and identification of candidates who have paid a deposit, hold a position at an osteopathic medical college entering class or both. After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institu- tions.

An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited and the seat may be given to another candidate.

Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s) which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one college of osteopathic medicine to avoid having positions withdrawn."

- http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2016_aacomas-instructions.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Reactions: 1 users
Any waitlist movement here? Or has anyone with a deferred acceptance gotten a call about any open seats?

Hi Just wonder if anyone here with MCAT score 26 or lower get into this school?

Got off the deferred acceptance list!!!!!

Are all incoming first years required to buy the Welch Allyn diagnostic set? Is there a cheaper way of doing this rather than the bookstore?

Are all incoming first years required to buy the Welch Allyn diagnostic set? Is there a cheaper way of doing this rather than the bookstore?
It's really the cheapest. Our class tried to find better deals. It didn't happen.