Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!:cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck, everyone. This is definitely my #1 so I hope they show me some love!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the interview is like here? I met an admissions counselor who was from the Lebanon campus but also could talk about the Pomona campus and he mentioned how it was a hybrid 1/2 open file and 1/2 MMI (multiple mini interview). Can anyone elaborate on this?

Does anyone know what the interview is like here? I met an admissions counselor who was from the Lebanon campus but also could talk about the Pomona campus and he mentioned how it was a hybrid 1/2 open file and 1/2 MMI (multiple mini interview). Can anyone elaborate on this?
Nothing to elaborate on. You will have an interview with 2-3 faculty members (perhaps a student is the 3rd) and then you'll do an MMI.

Can't believe class of 2019 is already in and we're moving into 2020.

Hi!
I understand that Western has a physician LOR requirement (DO preferred). The vast majority of my shadowing experience has been in primary care (MD) and I have a letter from this physician. Will it hurt to not have a DO letter at this school?

Hi!
I understand that Western has a physician LOR requirement (DO preferred). The vast majority of my shadowing experience has been in primary care (MD) and I have a letter from this physician. Will it hurt to not have a DO letter at this school?

Nope! You can have either. I know a lot of people who did MD shadowing and they were completely fine! Don't worry too much about this, it helps with the why DO? question but there are many other reasons and different ways you can answer this!
Hopefully this made sense, I'm sleepy :p

I'll be lurking around this thread every now and then, happy to help however I can! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Nope! You can have either. I know a lot of people who did MD shadowing and they were completely fine! Don't worry too much about this, it helps with the why DO? question but there are many other reasons and different ways you can answer this!

I'll be lurking around this thread every now and then, happy to help however I can! :)

Thanks! I saw this on the secondary app thread from last year, guess I'd better find a DO. "While shadowing an osteopathic physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?"

How??

Has anyone got secondary invite from Western yet? How long does it take from Western to get a secondary invite? My primary was verified on 6/18 and I've got secondary invites from 4 schools now but still no sign from Western yet. Sigh. It's my #1 school so I hope they show me some love.

Has anyone got secondary invite from Western yet? How long does it take from Western to get a secondary invite? My primary was verified on 6/18 and I've got secondary invites from 4 schools now but still no sign from Western yet. Sigh. It's my #1 school so I hope they show me some love.
What were your stats? Maybe call in

Does that mean that you did receive a secondary? I haven't heard of anyone else getting one yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering the same thing. I was verified before June 15, frankly have strong stats, and have heard nothing from Western. Contemplating calling in to see if my application was received because it seems AACOMAS is such a mess, who knows what really happened to it after all that work and money.

What schools have you heard from? I've been verified since 6/17 and have only received secondaries from MUCOM, OUHCOM, and a "screening" e-mail from Touro? And from last year's post it looks like most people received secondaries from Western around July 10th.

I was wondering the same thing. I was verified before June 15, frankly have strong stats, and have heard nothing from Western. Contemplating calling in to see if my application was received because it seems AACOMAS is such a mess, who knows what really happened to it after all that work and money.
Did you end up calling? I'm still waiting to hear back from 7 out of the 10 schools I applied to and I've been contemplating calling them to make sure they received my primary.

Did you end up calling? I'm still waiting to hear back from 7 out of the 10 schools I applied to and I've been contemplating calling them to make sure they received my primary.
I emailed Western and they promptly told me they got my stuff and they are still working on things! I think we're safe.

Reactions: 1 users
That makes sense if they have a significant volume of applicants.

****. i delayed and going to apply next year!! the number of applications is going to double again!! i have no hope for this school and its my number one!!! :(

lol no on so many levels. If you don't come at them with the strongest app possible, you would undoubtedly get rejected and then face a steep uphill battle when you apply again next year. Don't worry about what others are doing and focus on the things you can control...like your own application.
I'm on my second gap year- beginning it- my grades and mcat are poor so taking mcat again for the third time and then classes at a state college. What else can I do on the side. I feel like there is no hope for me at this school

I'm on my second gap year- beginning it- my grades and mcat are poor so taking mcat again for the third time and then classes at a state college. What else can I do on the side. I feel like there is no hope for me at this school

There are always other schools...In the end, the DO degree is what matters. What are your stats?

Hopefully I hear from them soon. Western is my #1 DO choice.

Reactions: 1 user
There are always other schools...In the end, the DO degree is what matters. What are your stats?
not cometitve for even a masts, so def not a med school. retaking MCAT and doing an informal post back a year after i graduate. what does that tell you about my GPA. not comeptive what so ever

not cometitve for even a masts, so def not a med school. retaking MCAT and doing an informal post back a year after i graduate. what does that tell you about my GPA. not comeptive what so ever

You should probably not be so hard on yourself. I'm sure there are plenty of candidates with lower stats than you who worked hard and eventually got into medical school.

At least you don't have an IA or any misdemeanors/felonies. Any bad GPA can be overlooked as long as you retake and get better grades.

You should probably not be so hard on yourself. I'm sure there are plenty of candidates with lower stats than you who worked hard and eventually got into medical school.

At least you don't have an IA or any misdemeanors/felonies. Any bad GPA can be overlooked as long as you retake and get better grades.

thank you:)
def made me feel better!

thank you:)
def made me feel better!

Just work very hard, and show your dedication to medicine. I'm sure all adcoms will see what you've been doing and will appreciate it. Many of them reward reinvention.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo.... still no secondaries yet right? I emailed Ms. Guzman 9 days ago re/the status of things and she hasn't gotten back to me... o_O

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo.... still no secondaries yet right? I emailed Ms. Guzman 9 days ago re/the status of things and she hasn't gotten back to me... o_O
Still nothing for me either.

Just got a secondary invite! This is my dream school so fingers crossed!

secondary received!!! Def my first choice!
Do they screen for secondaries, or is this an automatic one?
I'm a bit surprised that i received one already because I'm scheduled to retake my MCAT this week.

I got a secondary...when opening it, you can choose which one of their programs you want to apply to (including Pomona and NW)

Definitely Pomona campus because I didn't apply to Northwest!
yea, my bad! It was confusing to me b/c the email said NW but the sender's signature was from Pomona. When I open the login page, I can actually do both. And their essays are different (a little)

If we received the secondary invitation from the NW campus, does that mean we are invited to do the one for Pomona as well? Or should we receive two different emails?

I just got off the phone with one of the admission counselors. She said you should get two separate emails and they are a little behind reviewing applications. She said in the case that you don't qualify for secondaries, you will get an email about that too.

For those who already got their secondary invites, do you mind sharing your stats with us?

I just got off the phone with one of the admission counselors. She said you should get two separate emails and they are a little behind reviewing applications. She said in the case that you don't qualify for secondaries, you will get an email about that too.
but who cares since the essay questions are available now.

I love this thread!!! Thank you guys for opening it up. I just got the Northwest invite too and i thought it was Pomona! For those who got the secondary from Pomona would you mind sharing the questions :)

I need people's opinion on this. I work as a scribe in a Family Practice full of DOs. I would hate to leave the page re/clinical experience with the physician blank because I haven't been able to "officially shadow" a DO. Would you guys suggest I just enter the information and in the free text space just mention my situation?