Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Officially rejected via email at 4:01 p.m. Not even wait-listed. This is rough because not only did I connect really well with my interviewer (both paych majors), but this has always been my dream school. My home is 4.3 miles from campus.
Damn...sorry to hear that. You should ask them why they rejected you and see what you could have done better. Are your other prospective med schools looking hopeful?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Damn...sorry to hear that. You should ask them why they rejected you and see what you could have done better. Are your other prospective med schools looking hopeful?

I interviewed and was wait-listed at ACOM. That was my only other interview besides TouroNY that is coming up this Monday. Just wish I knew what I could have done better. They say that once you get the interview your stats go out the window but I have a hard time believing that now. I don't think it could have gone any better personally, but hopefully I have better luck in NY or it's going to be a long summer.

I interviewed and was wait-listed at ACOM. That was my only other interview besides TouroNY that is coming up this Monday. Just wish I knew what I could have done better. They say that once you get the interview your stats go out the window but I have a hard time believing that now. I don't think it could have gone any better personally, but hopefully I have better luck in NY or it's going to be a long summer.
After glancing at your posting history, your stats are 3.05cGPA, 3.45sGPA, and a 506 MCAT. Your ECs include ~350 hours of shadowing a nephrologist, 4+ years of tutoring, and a behavioral therapist for autistic children.

I'm really, really crossing my fingers for your Touro NY interview. If it unfortunately doesn't work out, here are a few things you can do when you reapply:

1) Your science GPA and MCAT are perfectly average, but your cGPA is much too low. Take the year to repeat some courses and bring that GPA to at least a 3.3.

2) If your ECs consist of only the three listed above, your ECs are lacking. You need strong volunteer experience, preferably with a disadvantaged population, and you need hobbies. Find things you enjoy and do them well. Do you have any leadership positions? If not, get some.

3) Is the nephrologist you shadowed a D.O.? If not, shadow a D.O. and get an LOR from the D.O. Also, keep in mind, 350 hours is a LOT of shadowing. You don't need that many hours when you shadow again.

4) Judging by your posts, you submitted your app in October. Apply early (July at the latest) and very broadly.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
After glancing at your posting history, your stats are 3.05cGPA, 3.45sGPA, and a 506 MCAT. Your ECs include ~350 hours of shadowing a nephrologist, 4+ years of tutoring, and a behavioral therapist for autistic children.

I'm really, really crossing my fingers for your Touro NY interview. If it unfortunately doesn't work out, here are a few things you can do when you reapply:

1) Your science GPA and MCAT are perfectly average, but your cGPA is much too low. Take the year to repeat some courses and bring that GPA to at least a 3.3.

2) If your ECs consist of only the three listed above, your ECs are lacking. You need strong volunteer experience, preferably with a disadvantaged population, and you need hobbies. Find things you enjoy and do them well. Do you have any leadership positions? If not, get some.

3) Is the nephrologist you shadowed a D.O.? If not, shadow a D.O. and get an LOR from the D.O. Also, keep in mind, 350 hours is a LOT of shadowing. You don't need that many hours when you shadow again.

4) Judging by your posts, you submitted your app in October. Apply early (July at the latest) and very broadly.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I don't know if I mistakenly said 300+... it's only around 200 but retaking classes wouldn't boost my GPA because I've accumulated far too many classes over the years. In my most recent 60-90 units I received a 3.8 cGPA. So schools that weigh heavily upward trends can at least see that. I won't get too down about it. I know for sure it's because I applied too late this cycle. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I don't know if I mistakenly said 300+... it's only around 200 but retaking classes wouldn't boost my GPA because I've accumulated far too many classes over the years. In my most recent 60-90 units I received a 3.8 cGPA. So schools that weigh heavily upward trends can at least see that. I won't get too down about it. I know for sure it's because I applied too late this cycle. Thanks for the advice.
I also live near the campus (about 2 miles lol). I don't think it's because you applied late. I submitted my secondary in October. Was on a pre interview hold in December, interviewed late Jan and accepted early February. I would contact your assigned admissions counselor to figure out how you can improve. Side note: I was a behavior interventionist for years as well =)

Hello, so I posted here before about the fact that i am on the pre interview hold since October (IS, 3.7c,3.4s, 29MCAT w/ 24retake). Western is definitely my number 1 choice, and i would immediately commit if I were accepted here. I sent in a letter of interest, as well as an update letter to my admissions counselor.

An admissions counselor told me today that their last interview is currently on 3/31, but that they are thinking about opening up another interview date in April.

Do you think that it would be useful for me to go to the preview day this weekend to show further commitment to the university? For anyone that has been to this event, do you get an opportunity to talk to the admissions committee member? I have a trip planned for this weekend, but if attending this event will increase my chances of getting an ii, I am willing to just cancel my trip.

Dude I see you on a lot of threads and I must ask why the hell you always delete your responses? I seriously always just see a "." there. I mean I know sometimes people change their minds but it bugs when people do it all the time.

Hello, so I posted here before about the fact that i am on the pre interview hold since October (IS, 3.7c,3.4s, 29MCAT w/ 24retake). Western is definitely my number 1 choice, and i would immediately commit if I were accepted here. I sent in a letter of interest, as well as an update letter to my admissions counselor.

An admissions counselor told me today that their last interview is currently on 3/31, but that they are thinking about opening up another interview date in April.

Do you think that it would be useful for me to go to the preview day this weekend to show further commitment to the university? For anyone that has been to this event, do you get an opportunity to talk to the admissions committee member? I have a trip planned for this weekend, but if attending this event will increase my chances of getting an ii, I am willing to just cancel my trip.
So... just an anecdote:

I shadowed 3 of their OMM faculty during the 3rd year rotations. I attended the first Pre-Health2Med conference thing which is a upgraded Preview Day where you basically sit in on the DO, Optometry, PA, and Dentistry presentations/demonstrations on OMT, using the eyeball looking thing to perform an eye exam, check vitals, and do a ceramic filling on a fake tooth. I live in LA and got a DO letter. I'm an exercise science/kinesiology major and veteran. I am severely lacking in traditional ECs (never volunteered in a hospital or non-clinically for too long of a time) and my stats are meh.... 3.6 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA ("hard courses") and 506 with low BIO score. I really think that being able to say that WesternU showed me what being a DO is about boosted me noticeably. I was able to clearly articulate a LOT about WesternU, good and bad things. I told them that I'd handle multiple acceptances by considering location, board scores, rotations, and match data. I also only applied DO even though I'm told I could get some MD stuff if I applied broadly but... yeah... combination of naturally liking DO philosophy and being too poor to go travel to more than 3 interviews made it very easy to be happy with "only getting DO". I get to upgrade my bloodline from historically dropping out of high school to getting into the top 10% of income earners worldwide. I was also invited to interview and accepted pretty early in the cycle (early October). Maybe having multiple WesternU references for shadowing and a little in the PS about seeing OMT there helped get me to the top of the pile.

TL;DR - If it costs less than $200, you might as well go, unless you're holding onto other acceptances and have paid deposits.

Accepted/deposit down @ TUCOM-CA since October, but still waiting on Western... my fiance really wants to stay in the LA area... my application has been "on hold" forever and just a few days ago I got that same email some of you mentioned previously about it being reviewed again. I sent in a casual update several months ago but nothing concrete. My stats are, MCAT 32, nonscience 3.46, science 3.47... Lots of EC (volunteering in serious ER program etc), but only a very brief DO shadow. I went to a campus tour last year and made note of that in my app and in my secondary I explicitly said that they were my top choice school.

Anyone have any ideas on what my chances are at this point? I know we're all just spitballing and I am very happy with Touro but having this outstanding application is so anxiety provoking!

Accepted/deposit down @ TUCOM-CA since October, but still waiting on Western... my fiance really wants to stay in the LA area... my application has been "on hold" forever and just a few days ago I got that same email some of you mentioned previously about it being reviewed again. I sent in a casual update several months ago but nothing concrete. My stats are, MCAT 32, nonscience 3.46, science 3.47... Lots of EC (volunteering in serious ER program etc), but only a very brief DO shadow. I went to a campus tour last year and made note of that in my app and in my secondary I explicitly said that they were my top choice school.

Anyone have any ideas on what my chances are at this point? I know we're all just spitballing and I am very happy with Touro but having this outstanding application is so anxiety provoking!

On the bit about shadowing. Upon submitting my secondary application I had 24 hours of DO shadowing 4 of which were with a DO at the patient care center on campus. I also told them they were my top choice. Your numbers are definitely not the issue especially considering your acceptance at TUCOM-CA.

I'm assuming the 2/25 interview will hear something today?

I'm assuming the 2/25 interview will hear something today?
I heard about 15 days after so I am guessing by tomorrow or next Monday latest

Im planning on booking my return flight at 5:10pm from LAX. Is this enough time to drive there directly after the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview from Western after being put on hold. Western is has always been my #1 choice, so I cannot even express how excited I am. For those of you that already interviewed at Western, would you mind giving me some tips for a successful interview? How should I prepare for the writing section, as well as the MMI? I am so grateful that I was given this opportunity!!

I got an interview from Western after being put on hold. Western is has always been my #1 choice, so I cannot even express how excited I am. For those of you that already interviewed at Western, would you mind giving me some tips for a successful interview? How should I prepare for the writing section, as well as the MMI? I am so grateful that I was given this opportunity!!
Interview: If you slow down and wait a short moment before speaking, you will decrease the chance of mis-speaking and will probably have a more thoughtful response. Consciously try to slow down and relax.

Writing: Read very carefully and follow directions exactly, including limitations and stay on topic.

MMI: Imagine you are a hiring manager and you have set up a scenario with a paid actor for your interviewees to go through so you can "see them in action". Now design a form for the actor to fill out when they finish the scenario that evaluates the interviewee. What would that form look like? What would it assess? How would it score the interviewee? General tip: Remember the NAME of the person in the scenario. Basic customer service/empathy skills should be common sense, but hey... I guess a lot of people need to work on that. Maybe videotape yourself doing common "hospital scenes" with a partner or something. There are actually probably more non-hospital scenarios because THEY DO NOT EXPECT YOU TO "KNOW" THINGS.

Has anyone from the 2/25 interview group heard anything yet?

Did the 2/25 interview results come out? Also, I heard that Western sends the results as snail mails.

I was in the 2/25 interview group too and haven't heard anything yet either. Maybe they are just taking a little longer this time around. Hopefully we'll hear soon :)

people i would suggest you check your banweb. results come out on there a couple days before official results.

Im planning on booking my return flight at 5:10pm from LAX. Is this enough time to drive there directly after the interview?
I would get one around 6:00-6:15ish. It ends around 3 and there's tons of traffic on the 605 and 105. It takes me an hour to get to LAX from Pomona with minimal traffic. Plus you'll also need to check-in and go through security. I think 5:10 is cutting it short. Better to chill at the airport for an hour than to miss your flight.

Westernu COMP
Anesthesiology
Riverside University Health Systems CA Riverside AOA
Riverside University Health Systems CA Riverside AOA
University of Chicago Medical Center IL Chicago ACGME
UT Houston TX Houston ACGME
University of Utah UT Salt Lake City ACGME

Emergency Medicine
Kingman Regional Medical Center AZ Kingman AOA
Arrowhead Regional Medical Center CA Colton AOA
LAC-USC CA Los Angeles ACGME
Desert Regional Medical Center CA Palm Springs AOA
Kaweah Delta CA Visalia ACGME
St. James Health IL Chicago AOA
Saint Mary Mercy MI Livonia AOA
Promedica Monroe Hospital MI Monroe AOA
Botsford Hospital MI Farmington Hills AOA
St. Barnabas Hospital NY New York AOA
Integris Southwest Medical Center OK Oklahoma City AOA
Norman Regional Health System OK Norman AOA
Kent Hospital RI Warwick AOA
San Antonio Military med center TX
Baystate/Tufts MA Springfield ACGME
UC Davis CA Sacramento ACGME

Family Medicine
Kaiser Permanente - Orange County CA Anaheim ACGME
Arrowhead Regional Medical Center CA Colton ACGME
PIH Downey CA Downey AOA
PIH Downey CA Downey AOA
UCSF Fresno CA Fresno ACGME
College Medical Center CA Long Beach AOA
College Medical Center CA Long Beach AOA
Long Beach Memorial CA Long Beach ACGME
California Hospital Medical Center CA Los Angeles ACGME
California Hospital Medical Center CA Los Angeles ACGME
Kaiser Permanente - Los Angeles CA Los Angeles ACGME
Valley Family Medicine CA Modesto ACGME
Northridge Hospital Medical Center CA Northridge ACGME
Northridge Hospital Medical Center CA Northridge ACGME
Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton CA Oceanside Military
Pomona Valley Medical Center CA Pomona ACGME
Pomona Valley Medical Center CA Pomona ACGME
UC Davis Medical Center CA Sacramento ACGME
Harbor-UCLA Medical Center CA Torrance ACGME
PIH-Whittier CA Whittier ACGME
Dartmouth ME Augusta AOA
Nellis Air Force Base NV Las Vegas Military
University of Nevada Las Vegas NV Las Vegas ACGME
Ogden Medical Center NY Elmira AOA
McConville St. John's - University Hospitals Regional OH Cleveland AOA
Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center OR Corvallis AOA
Heart of Lancaster Regional Medical Center PA Lititz AOA
Texas Tech University Affil TX El Paso ACGME
Madigan Army Medical Center WA Tacoma Military
Puyallup Tribal Health Authority WA Tacoma AOA
Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center WI Milwaukee ACGME

General Surgery
Swedish Medical Center CO Englewood AOA
Palisades Medical Center NJ North Bergen AOA

Internal Medicine
West Anaheim Medical Center CA Anaheim AOA
Kaiser Permanente - Fontana CA Fontana ACGME
Kaiser Permanente - Fontana CA Fontana ACGME

Loma Linda CA Loma Linda ACGME
Loma Linda CA Loma Linda ACGME
St Mary Medical Center CA Long Beach ACGME
UCLA-Oliveview CA Los Angeles ACGME
Scripps Mercy Hospital CA San Diego ACGME
Scripps Mercy Hospital CA San Diego ACGME
Harbor-UCLA CA Torrance ACGME
Community Memorial Health System CA Ventura AOA
Broward Health Medical Center FL Fort Lauderdale AOA
Mercy Medical Center IA Des Moines AOA
University of Illinois at Chicago IL Chicago ACGME
Indiana University IN Indianapolis ACGME
Louisiana State University Hospital LA Lafayette ACGME
Botsford MI Farmington Hills AOA
Darthmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center NH Lebanon ACGME
Darthmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center NH Lebanon ACGME
University of New Mexico NM Albuquerque ACGME
Valley Hospital Medical Center NV Las Vegas AOA
St. John's - University Hospitals Regional OH Cleveland AOA
Good Samaritan Hospital OR Corvallis AOA
Providence St. Vincent OR Portlandia ACGME
Legacy Emanuel/Good Samaritan OR Portland ACGME
San Antonio Military Medical Center TX San Antonio Military

Neurology
USC CA Los Angeles ACGME
Westchester Medical Center NY Valhalla ACGME
Cleveland Clinic OH Cleveland ACGME

Neurosurgery
St. John Providence MI Southfield AOA
St. Barnabas Medical Center NJ Livingston AOA

OB/GYN
UCSF-Fresno CA Fresno ACGME
Loma Linda University CA Loma Linda ACGME
Genesys Regional Medical Center MI Grand Blanc AOA
Metro Health MI Grand Rapids AOA
Mercy Health MI Muskegon AOA
Womack Army Medical Center NC Fayetteville Military
Memorial Hospital PA York AOA
University of Tennessee TN Chattanooga ACGME
Naval Medical Center Portsmouth VA Portsmouth Military
Madigan Army Medical Center WA Tacoma Military

Ophthalmology
George Washington University D.C. Washington ACGME

Orthopedic Surgery
Riverside University Health System CA Riverside AOA
Community Memorial Health System CA Ventura AOA
Larkin Community Hospital FL Miami AOA
McLaren Oakland MI Pontiac AOA
Jersey City Medical Center NJ Jersey City AOA
South Pointe Hospital OH Cleveland AOA
Good Samaritan Regional Medical Centery OR Corvallis AOA
Pinnacle Health PA Harrisburg AOA

Pathology
Louisiana State University School of Medicine LA New Orleans ACGME

Pediatrics
USC CA Los Angeles ACGME
USC CA Los Angeles ACGME
USC CA Los Angeles ACGME
Kaiser LA CA Los Angeles ACGME
Akron Children's OH Akron ACGME

Pediatrics - Medical Genetics
Children's Hospital of Michigan MI Detroit ACGME

PM&R
UCI CA Irvine ACGME
UCLA CA LA ACGME
UCLA CA LA ACGME
UCLA CA LA ACGME
Larkin FL Miami AOA
Northwestern/RIC IL Chicago ACGME
University of Washington WA Seattle ACGME

Psychiatry
UCLA - San Fernando Valley CA Los Angeles ACGME
NMCSD CA San Diego Military
St. Elizabeth's Hospital DC Washington DC ACGME
Allegiance Health MI Jackson AOA
Case Western Reserve / University Hospitals OH Cleveland ACGME
Vanderbilt TN Nashville ACGME
John Peter Smith TX Fort Worth ACGME

Radiology
St. James Medical Center IL Olympia Fields AOA
Grand Rapids Med Ed Partners MI Grand Rapids ACGME

Transitional/Traditional/Prelim Med
UCI CA Irvine ACGME
Kaweah Delta CA Visalia ACGME
Sky ridge Medical Center CO Lone Tree AOA
Larkin Community Hospital FL Miami AOA
Genesys Regional Medical Center MI Grand Blanc AOA
Plainview Hospital-NSLIJ NY Plainview AOA
Lewis Gale Hospital-Montgomery VA Blacksburg AOA

Thoughts on this year's match list?

That EM match at LA County-USC tho. Last year was just one from KCUMB (if I'm not mistaken). Wondering how many D.O.s matched there this year.

I'm interested in doing EM residency in CA as well. How competitive is it to get into LA County-USC? How difficult is it to match EM in CA?

I'm interested in doing EM residency in CA as well. How competitive is it to get into LA County-USC? How difficult is it to match EM in CA?

LA County-USC i believe is one of the top programs in the country per doximity). I could imagine EM in California is doable, especially post mergerp

Still on pre II hold. I had high hopes for this school but seeing as this is the last week for interviews I'm not sure if it's looking too good.

For accepted students, anyone having trouble accessing the banweb page?

Does anyone know what WesternU's most up to date match rate for residency is? Not necessarily the one for this year but just a recent one.

Hey all! I have an interview on the 31, and I just have a general question about Western. Is attendance mandatory and are all lectures recorded to watch or listen later? Thanks a lot! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hey all! I have an interview on the 31, and I just have a general question about Western. Is attendance mandatory and are all lectures recorded to watch or listen later? Thanks a lot! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

All lectures are recorded. Certain lectures are mandatory like clinical medicine, OMM and anatomy Lab. However, most of the science lectures are not mandatory and can be watched at home in your PJs. Best of luck on the interview.

Does anyone know what WesternU's most up to date match rate for residency is? Not necessarily the one for this year but just a recent one.
If you look 8 posts above yours, you will find your answer.

All lectures are recorded. Certain lectures are mandatory like clinical medicine, OMM and anatomy Lab. However, most of the science lectures are not mandatory and can be watched at home in your PJs. Best of luck on the interview.
Thanks a lot!!

Do those types of lectures, the ones that require attendance, have a specific time that they take place? I would like to commute to potentially commute to this school but I want to avoid driving during the evening or late afternoon...

Do those types of lectures, the ones that require attendance, have a specific time that they take place? I would like to commute to potentially commute to this school but I want to avoid driving during the evening or late afternoon...

anatomy lab varies between morning and afternoon if I remember correctly but the others are in the afternoon and usually go till 4 or 5.

Emailed admissions. Last interview is on Thursday. They will be emailing rejections in the next few weeks.

If you look 8 posts above yours, you will find your answer.
I see the match list, but I was wondering about a percentage for the number of students that matched. The most recent one I could find was from 2013, doesn't seem like that would be too acccurate now. Thanks anyway

I see the match list, but I was wondering about a percentage for the number of students that matched. The most recent one I could find was from 2013, doesn't seem like that would be too acccurate now. Thanks anyway
I spoke to some students who graduated from Western last year and they said their class had a 100% match rate.

does anyone know how full their class is at this point? I will be interviewing on Thursday, but I wanted to know if I am going to be interviewing for a spot on their waitlist...

does anyone know how full their class is at this point? I will be interviewing on Thursday, but I wanted to know if I am going to be interviewing for a spot on their waitlist...

Im currently on their alternate list (or waitlist). But I know they don't really have that many people on their waitlist (typically around 60) so I doubt that you are interviewing to get on their waitlist...because there will be somewhere along the lines of 60 people interviewing with you on Thursday and I don't think they would all be waitlisted or rejected......

In what field and where is more important. There are numerous reasons why someone didn't match, which can be misleading.

I spoke to some students who graduated from Western last year and they said their class had a 100% match rate.

So, based on my interview last October, 1 person did not match last year between the Lebanon and Pomona campuses. It was 99% and change.

I was at the interview today and they said it would take about 3-4weeks to hear our decisions. For those who already interviewed, did they actually take the entire 3 weeks?

They also said they only send out decisions over snail mail, but I thought many people on sdn were notified over phone?

I was at the interview today and they said it would take about 3-4weeks to hear our decisions. For those who already interviewed, did they actually take the entire 3 weeks?

They also said they only send out decisions over snail mail, but I thought many people on sdn were notified over phone?
Yeah I was also at today's interview and reading these forums I heard they call as well. Hopefully they can get it out to us as soon as possible. But for now it is just the waiting game.. Good luck!!

Yeah I was also at today's interview and reading these forums I heard they call as well. Hopefully they can get it out to us as soon as possible. But for now it is just the waiting game.. Good luck!!
Did they say how many seats were left?