Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone is interested:

SPaRC at WesternU

Congratulations on being accepted to WesternU. SPaRC 2016 will run six weeks from June 6 to July 15, 2016. The anticipated cost of registration for the program is $950.

SPaRC covers some foundational first semester science material (Anatomy, Skeletal System, OMM, and Pharm) related to the DO curriculum, but the biggest benefits for participating DO students are:

• Becoming accustomed to a full day’s worth of classes

• Developing effective study habits

• Building supportive relationships with peers

• Familiarizing themselves with available resources on campus
The truth is, nothing can quite prepare DO students for the pacing and volume of the program; however, this summer program allows students to work through any potential academic or personal issues (in a low stress and supportive environment) before actually beginning in August. If you have any questions, please email [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when they start sending out secondaries?

Does anyone know when they start sending out secondaries?

At the preview day, someone from admissions told me that the first day they look at apps is in late July. I'm not 100% sure if that meant with primaries and secondaries or just with primaries...

Reactions: 1 user
Would taking the MCAT in September be too late a date to apply to this school? I already have an MCAT score but I'm retaking it.

At the preview day, someone from admissions told me that the first day they look at apps is in late July. I'm not 100% sure if that meant with primaries and secondaries or just with primaries...

Can confirm this, I was specifically told mid-late July at the earliest.

Reactions: 2 users
Just received secondary!

Please limit each of your answers in this section to 1650 characters or less.

While shadowing an osteopathic physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?
web_required_cascade.png

What was your most memorable community service activity and how did it impact you?
web_required_cascade.png

What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP – Pomona Campus?
web_required_cascade.png

Describe why you see yourself as a great “fit” for our school.
web_required_cascade.png

Is there anything in your application that you would like to explain to the Admissions Committee?
web_required_cascade.png

For transfer applicants only:
Why have you chosen the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific for transfer?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary Submitted! Looks like a great school.

How are you guys going to answer, "While shadowing an osteopathic physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?" if you've never shadowed an osteopathic physician?

How are you guys going to answer, "While shadowing an osteopathic physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?" if you've never shadowed an osteopathic physician?

Get some D.O. shadowing experience in!!

When did you all receive secondaries and when were you verified? @1123445 and @mininhi

Last edited:
Watch youtube videos. I remember reading somewhere here that's what a previous applicant wrote about and got accepted somewhere

Wait, can you elaborate on this? I'm not understanding your point?
I think they meant watch youtube videos on OMT to get an understanding of what DO's do (if you have never shadowed a DO) that way you have SOMETHING to talk about instead of leaving this section blank...

Something along the lines of this:

If I'm correct, Western realllyyyy value DO shadowing and DO letter! I would get some ASAP.

Secondary received. Verified 6/1. "Thank you for choosing to apply to Western University of Health Sciences’ College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific. I’m pleased to inform you that, based on your primary application, you are eligible to continue to the next step of our application process."

It sounds like they screen...?

Every application is different. It certainly is not a requirement to shadow a DO. I did not shadow a DO, and I was accepted early in the cycle last year.

Reactions: 1 users
Does this school screen for secondaries or is it just a stats cutoff?

Anyone else confused about the Clinical Experience section? It looks like it's purely shadowing experience with the way it's asking for the format, but could this include clinical experience not under a physician?

Every application is different. It certainly is not a requirement to shadow a DO. I did not shadow a DO, and I was accepted early in the cycle last year.
So what did you say when answering this question, if you don't mind me asking?

I think the question is really just asking for us to expand on the practical experiences we have had that reinforced our desire to pursue medicine. If you shadowed a DO then all the better, but as a previous poster suggested it doesnt seem to be absolutely mandatory.

Anyone else confused about the Clinical Experience section? It looks like it's purely shadowing experience with the way it's asking for the format, but could this include clinical experience not under a physician?
Anything including patient interaction in a clinical setting. It doesn't necessarily have to be under the direct supervision of a physician, per se.

Secondary finally submitted!!

Anything including patient interaction in a clinical setting. It doesn't necessarily have to be under the direct supervision of a physician, per se.

I have a lot of clinical hours not under direct supervision of a physician so I did not include it in that section but have it on my primary application. What I did include in the clinical/shadowing experience section was purely only my shadowing under direct physician supervision and my clinical research that was under the supervision of a physician-- hopefully that doesn't ding me!

I wouldn't worry too much about it ;) Adcoms make a decision based on the aggregate information from your primary and secondary applications.

Secondary received 7/14 @ 1608 and submitted 7/14 1952! Verified 6/3. I'm a local and this is my top choice!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
On the secondary there's a question that asks if you are a citizen or a permanent resident or a non-resident. Are they referring to the US citizenship status? Because I am a Canadian citizen...

So what did you say when answering this question, if you don't mind me asking?
I discussed my experience volunteering in the emergency department of a trauma one hospital and my shadowing of two MDs. I referenced the interactions that I had with DOs in both settings, and I highlighted my observations of the different approach that DOs had to the doctor/patient relationship.

I'm wondering if I should submit my secondary because adcom told me that they will not accept my behavioral science class at University because it was pass/fail system... So I missed 4 credit for that requirement...

You have until matriculation so you could always take it if you got in

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm wondering if I should submit my secondary because adcom told me that they will not accept my behavioral science class at University because it was pass/fail system... So I missed 4 credit for that requirement...

They gave you a secondary but also told you your class won't count?