Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called yesterday, and they said that we should hear back within the next week as they have officially decided on the entire 10/6 interview group. I believe they decided on the first two groups (red, blue) already, so people should have received a notification this entire past week (rejections: sent via e-mail on Monday, acceptances noted on portal/mail, alternate waitlist <- not too sure how they notify). They most likely are sending out decisions for the latter two groups (green (?), yellow) next week.

I was in the blue group and have heard nothing. So hopefully they just didn't finish the blue group.

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the blue group and have heard nothing. So hopefully they just didn't finish the blue group.
I was in the Red group and still haven't heard anything. Hopefully, the decisions are made randomly and not by color group.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, what are some affordable (possibly provided discount to WesternU interviewing applicants) hotels people stayed at for their interview that you would reccommend ?
Thank You

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the Red group and still haven't heard anything. Hopefully, the decisions are made randomly and not by color group.

My portal was just updated a few hours ago. ACCEPTED! I guess my letter will come in the mail later today. Good luck to the rest of you!

Reactions: 3 users
My portal was just updated a few hours ago. ACCEPTED! I guess my letter will come in the mail later today. Good luck to the rest of you!
Congrats!! Same here. Portal updated just this morning. Accepted!

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know, but I've been waiting a month now for something. Wish I knew a time frame!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I see. I've been placed on hold and was wondering if going would improve my chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure it wouldn't hurt (except your bank account, maybe) but I don't know how much it would improve your chances, if at all. I'd be curious as well!

I see. I've been placed on hold and was wondering if going would improve my chances.

Just got put on hold as well. On the same boat as you and also considering going to the preview day! Does anyone know how often they send IIs to those on hold?

Placed on pre-interview hold . Is this a sugar coated rejection?

Pre-interview hold just now. For reference, complete 9/7. I received an interview invite last year without being placed on hold in January so I was surprised by this...oh well.

Placed on pre II hold as well. Completed 09/08.

Pre-interview hold today. Does anyone know much about this scenario? Is it just based on being later in the cycle? Is it a really bad sign?

Got an interview here! YES YES YES!! It's my top choice! I'm so so so happy!!!

Reactions: 6 users
This is my top choice as I've visited here and it's the closest to home for me. Any chance of an II with a 3.59 cGPA 3.58 sGPA and 502? App went to the committee for review about 2 weeks ago!

Don't worry waitlist ppl i gotchuu. Will be withdrawing my interview. Hope one of you gets it!

Reactions: 1 users
Pre-interview hold just now. For reference, complete 9/7. I received an interview invite last year without being placed on hold in January so I was surprised by this...oh well.
Do you know if the hold is something new, or if it was something they did last year as well?

Do you know if the hold is something new, or if it was something they did last year as well?

Honestly, I have no idea since I wasn't placed on hold last year. Sorry I couldn't be of more help :/

1)are the MMI stations done by actors who play a role or is it a scenario presented that you discuss with an interviewer?
2) any information regarding the essay that must be written? Is it under timed conditions?

Thank You very much for any information regarding the interview process!

The MMI's are role playing 1 minute to read scenario five minutes to act out scenario with actor. The essay is timed don't stress the essay you will have plenty of time to answer the prompt.
Thank you, I would like to ask, do I also have to play a role (ex. doctor) or no?

For those who interviewed 11/3, did they say that the adcom were meeting today for half the group? Then the following week for the rest?

For those who interviewed 11/3, did they say that the adcom were meeting today for half the group? Then the following week for the rest?
I was under the impression that they're meeting for the whole 11/3 interview group? not 100% sure though

I'm so nervous but excited to meet people on interview day next week. I'm hoping to seal the deal with Western! See you guys there!

how did people prepare for the standardized patients MMI interviews?
I am a self-declared anti-social person who is very sure on pathology. Every standardized patient I've had, from MMI to my several first-year history and physical exam SPs, has said that they would be happy if I was their physician. This is what I do to prepare because I know that most non-intimate human interactions do not energize me and that small talk really bores me:

1. Prioritize eye contact without being creepy. You need to find out how long it takes for them to break eye contact and assume that is their "comfort time". Then always break eye contact before that time period.
2. Proper use of the other person's name. This is an objective "check-in-the-box". In addition, you gain a lot by trying to imagine that YOU are grading someone during an MMI. If the encounter is 5 minutes and there is 3-5 minutes between, what will your 1-page grading rubric look like?
3. Some of these should be obvious but... A-type, alpha, extroverts be extroverting too much I guess... Interrupting, judging, etc... chill out on those.

There is literally nothing else to prepare for.

Reactions: 2 users
So all the MMI stations are role-playing? Is there any other part of the interview? Like a one-on-one conversational interview or question-grilling?

If only 5 minute role-playing stations, then the interview process must be very short... Do you have any sources you would recommend to practice on situations for role-playing? Thanks.
Hm... he literally said he didn't want to talk on it further due to legal reasons (very smart guy/gal) but you also have the answer from a current student who had the same interview process + other relevant experience after to understand it better right above your question.

-_- step it up homie.

Those legal reasons have nothing to do with asking for sources. None of the wording in the question was asking for specific details; just resources that talk about role-playing.

That's like saying you can't direct someone to the UW bioethics website because of "legal" reasons when someone asks for sources on ethics.
Again... he says "that's ALL the info I can give you" -_- I wonder what that means

I'm late in the game here, folks. For anyone who was recently invited to interview, how long between submitting your secondary and receiving the interview invitation?

Again, I wasn't asking for anything specific. All I asked was for a source (like UW Bioethics) for a broad question. Do you not understand this? You're talking as if I was asking the person for specific scenarios and exact wording of the details.
Do YOU not understand that I answered your question fully and beyond the scope of a typical answer and that you are not applying intelligence in a situation where you know you aren't going to get the answer you want? And what is this broad question nonsense? You have a traditional interview and MMIs. These aren't the little kiddy "Hey applicant, let's pretend you see someone cheating on a test. I'd like you to tell me right now what you would do in this scenario" fake MMIs that I hear about at other schools. There are no little puzzles to solve. There are no obstacle courses or Rorschach inkblots. If your responses are any indicator, no amount of scenarios will help prepare you for lacking graciousness and listening to others carefully. I gave objective advice to help you guys understand that in a purely chill role play of everyday, non-medical life, you can actually get graded in terms of being a decent human being. And guess what? Introverts do better on these than aggressive, askholes because they can listen and are okay with saying that they don't know something and enjoying the silence of empathy. Meanwhile others will be following the algorithm of appropriate responses that they found through UW Bioethics and episodes of House.