Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How did you know when fafsa was due?!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I was casually thinking about my future and thought about being in debt and decided to look at a scholarship packet one of the schools I interviewed gave me. It mention checking your schools deadline. So I looked at westerns website...good thing too cause I would have missed it Forsure!

Members don't see this ad.

I was casually thinking about my future and thought about being in debt and decided to look at a scholarship packet one of the schools I interviewed gave me. It mention checking your schools deadline. So I looked at westerns website...good thing too cause I would have missed it Forsure!
What about students who are still waiting to hear back?

@dolfin95 I didn't get anything. Do you think that because you have heard that from other people as well?

Yes. I heard from a friend who got rejected and we were in the same interview group. So waitlists and rejections were sent the same day. Idk about acceptances...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. I heard from a friend who got rejected and we were in the same interview group. So waitlists and rejections were sent the same day. Idk about acceptances...

Admissions told me the way they do it is they look at 7 each Thursday, so that is why some found out and some didn't. So, 7 more should find out today-Mon/Tues. It doesn't mean acceptances were held off, and the watlist/rejected group was notified

Hey! New to SDN! Does anyone know the average board scores for USMLE and COMLEX? I can't find it online

Yes from the 2/9 group. I don't really understand how they can address 7 per week, but then have 50+ interview each week, but that is what they said
I remember at my interview they said they spend two full admissions days about 5-6 hours each for 1 interview date.

Just received an II today. Pre-II hold 11/28. I've been accepted to AZCOM already. Would it be worth it to attend this interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Make it 2 years in a row at Western: interview, then rejected. Go figure. Best of luck to everyone else.

Hey! New to SDN! Does anyone know the average board scores for USMLE and COMLEX? I can't find it online

from my interview they said they score on national AVERAGE on COMLEX step 1 however last year class scored 15 points points higher than national average on COMLEX step 1. it can be due to their curriculum change but so far its only 1 class that went thruogh the curriculum change so they have to wait for more cohorts to analyze....for USMLE they never said anything...since not the whole class takes it

Reactions: 1 user
Got an II today, but have multiple acceptances from DO and waitlists from MD schools. Is it worth it to go? What are the pros and cons of Western?

from my interview they said they score on national AVERAGE on COMLEX step 1 however last year class scored 15 points points higher than national average on COMLEX step 1. it can be due to their curriculum change but so far its only 1 class that went thruogh the curriculum change so they have to wait for more cohorts to analyze....for USMLE they never said anything...since not the whole class takes it

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an II today, but have multiple acceptances from DO and waitlists from MD schools. Is it worth it to go? What are the pros and cons of Western?

Pros - close to SoCal
Cons- big primary care focus, most hospitals are small community centers, hospital sites are far from each other so lots of driving involved, extra heavy emphasis on OMM (a cranial week, really?!), basically no research

I would say pre-merger that their opti network is good, but seems that post merger some sites can't wait to leave the opti and aren't bothering to apply for osteopathic recognition.

Any MD school > Western

As for DO schools it depends, what are your choices?

Pros - close to SoCal
Cons- big primary care focus, most hospitals are small community centers, hospital sites are far from each other so lots of driving involved, extra heavy emphasis on OMM (a cranial week, really?!), basically no research

I would say pre-merger that their opti network is good, but seems that post merger some sites can't wait to leave the opti and aren't bothering to apply for osteopathic recognition.

Any MD school > Western

As for DO schools it depends, what are your choices?

KCU is my top choice for DO

Where are you from? Also KCU is excellent for board prep and I'd highly recommend it if you want to specialize. If you know you want primary care or an easy to match specialty, choose WesternU.

Reactions: 1 users

When were you complete if you don't mind me asking?

I'm from the Midwest but I have some ties to the central coast.
Complete: 11/3
On hold: 1/19

KCU does not have as much OMM focus as Western ....Western OMM is 2-4 hrs a week while kcu is 2 hrs/week...however at Western OMM is not the whole semester but at kcu it is...so pretty much the same hours/semester? Ultimately from my interviews I sensed that Western at the end of the day is a lot more OMM focused than KCUMB. western does have IPE (most students think its waste) and kcu does not. Board prep at the end of the day comes down to the individual and their game plan, not the school preparation. but kcu is notorious for having high COMLEX scores (15 points above national average). however western also is improving their pre-clinical curriculum on yearly basis to help with board prep. I picked Western and declined my offer to KCU, im almost 100% sure I want to go into primary care. Maybe KCU has more research opportunities (especially at close by universities like UMKC) this would be vital if you want to specialize outside of primary care, i dont think there is much research in Pomona. Goodluck KCUMB is an amazing school, their curriculum will push you to your limits! but i wanted to experience SoCal living :p

I'm probably going to pass on the interview. Cost of travel is probably too steep. Thanks for all the input and good luck to you all!

Do you know how many more interview dates were available when you got yours?

Do you know how many more interview dates were available when you got yours?

Neither I nor my friend who interviewed that day have heard anything. (2/09)
Did either of you recieve a decision from the 2/9 interview date?

Yeah, we both heard back (and got in!) last Friday the third. My letter from Western just came yesterday in the mail.

However you can check if you got in or not by just logging into the portal.

@kpjs77

Yeah, we both heard back (and got in!) last Friday the third. My letter from Western just came yesterday in the mail.

@kpjs77
Congratulations to you both!!

Unfortunately I have not seen an update through snail mail, email, or the portal. I will keep an eye out though.

Congratulations to you both!!

Unfortunately I have not seen an update through snail mail, email, or the portal. I will keep an eye out though.
When you checked the portal its still blank? Thats odd. Maybe they haven't gotten to you yet? I would check on Thursday/Friday. Good luck!

When you checked the portal its still blank? Thats odd. Maybe they haven't gotten to you yet? I would check on Thursday/Friday. Good luck!
Thank you so much!

Yes that is exactly what I have been wondering. I check the portal often and the area next to decision is still blank. Hopefully I hear good news by the end of the week.

@kpjs77
Do you mind sharing your stats?

II tomorrow after being placed on hold in Nov! Excited for my first in-state ii :)

How were you notified when you were accepted? (Call, email, or mail?)

They didn't notify me immediately in anyway when I got in. I checked the portal and saw it said I was accepted. 3-4 days later I got a letter in the mail.

II today! Any advice for interview would be much appreciated!

If you dont mind me asking, what were your stats/lizzyscore?
GPA - 3.7
MCAT - 30
I was put on hold in December and I'm OOS Oregon so I don't know if they waited till the end to interview OOS applicants

II today also after being put on hold. Last interview date is the only one available. Uncertain if it's worth going for the last date! Does anyone know if they will even have true spots left at that point, or if it's just for the WL?

Anyone else from the Feb 23 interview date waiting to hear back? From what I understand, we're supposed to hear back soon right?

Anyone else from the Feb 23 interview date waiting to hear back? From what I understand, we're supposed to hear back soon right?

Me! From scrolling through past posts, it seems like the admissions committee is going through those who interviewed on Feb 9 right now, so the wait may be longer.

Is there information on housing / prices etc anywhere?

Still on pre-II hold at this school after being complete 9/30/16. So looks like chances are slim to none for me at this point...since last interview day is end of march and that's like in 2 more weeks :rolleyes:

Still on pre-II hold at this school after being complete 9/30/16. So looks like chances are slim to none for me at this point...since last interview day is end of march and that's like in 2 more weeks :rolleyes:
Pretty much in the exact same boat as you :/...complete 9/30 and still silence from Western. Sent an update 2 months ago, so wonder if it is worth it to send another one with letter of interest.