Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for those who interviewed on 3/9, are we hearing back this week or the next?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got a letter in the mail! Interviewed 3/9

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an II here, thought I was done for sure!

Just got an II here, thought I was done for sure!

Same here! Wondering if its worth it as I'm on vacation outside the country and I would have to book an early flight back. I also already have an acceptance elsewhere. Really don't want to cut my vacation short if its potentially just for a wait list though?

Congrats! I thought they were out of interview dates. Are they adding another one?

The email I received says that April 12 is the final interview date

Reactions: 1 user
Hey just interviewed on 3/30 and they said they still have about 70 spots to fill, I thought it was a little odd having that many spots left at this point in the cycle but I'm not complaining haha better chances for us to get in!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey just interviewed on 3/30 and they said they still have about 70 spots to fill, I thought it was a little odd having that many spots left at this point in the cycle but I'm not complaining haha better chances for us to get in!
damn thats messed up, probably because lots of applicants do not want to attend this school...wonder y!

We just need to submit the 2k deposit to confirm our acceptance, right? I've also mailed in the Acceptance Declaration and Personal Competencies form. Do they email you a confirmation of some sort other than the deposit receipt? Just want to make sure since my deadline is this Friday! :)

Last edited:
damn thats messed up, probably because lots of applicants do not want to attend this school...wonder y!
Ha definitely not bc applicants don't want to attend WesternU. WesternU is highly selective, so congrats to all who've been accepted! To those of you considering not attending the interview, leave room for people who are stoked to come to this school. At the end of the day, the extra OMM is not a big deal as it better prepares you for the boards. Board scores are usually above average, our rotation sites are phenomenal and match lists are solid. Overall, the school has a great faculty and impressive student population. And ultimately, you can't beat living in sunny Southern California. I am studying Neuro by the pool right now, bc it's 82 degrees outside.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted off the Alternate List yesterday!!!! Called to make sure receipt of an update, turns out didn't need to send it in b/c they already decided on an acceptance. Best of luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know how big of a deal COMP views legacy? My dad graduated from COMP and I don't know how much that will help me. I have a 506, 3.51 science, and 3.66 overall. I interviewed 3/30 so I am just really wanting to know if I have a realistic chance of getting in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know how big of a deal COMP views legacy? My dad graduated from COMP and I don't know how much that will help me. I have a 506, 3.51 science, and 3.66 overall. I interviewed 3/30 so I am just really wanting to know if I have a realistic chance of getting in.

you do have a realistic chance of getting! legacy always comes clutch for school's admission, as long as you meet their academic competitiveness (& your stats do)

The osteopathic professions in general favors legacies, as they surmount to a larger base of dedicated osteopathic physicians.

Stats look solid as the next! Good luck!

Awesome. Thanks for helping me out. I really hope I get in and was hoping that legacy will have at least a little sway. I didn't know that DOs typically favor legacy more than most. That's good news!

That's why 7,000 people applied to the school right?
at the end of the day 70 seats available during march is abnormal. If such information is accurate you must always become curious of how can such a thing occur? This might mean that many of the top applicants (who interviewed before January) decided to not attend this school. It can highly mean that the remainder 70 spots will be filled up with applicants of lower stats. Will see what transpires when the school posts statistical information regarding its complete class of 2021.

Last edited:
at the end of the day 70 seats available during march is abnormal. If such information is accurate you must always become curious of how can such a thing occur? This might mean that many of the top applicants (who interviewed before January) decided to not attend this school. It can highly mean that the remainder 70 spots will be filled up with applicants of lower stats. Will see what transpires when the school posts statistical information regarding its complete class of 2021.

The 70 seats comments was given to a student during an interview day. If I was interviewing, I would find that comforting to know I have a solid chance of getting a seat.
Also, Westerns class size is around 200 kids so the majority has been filled. I'm sure they're strategic in how they offer seats since they interview all the way into April and want to make sure they give everyone a fighting chance.
I personally don't think too much of this. When I interviewed back in September, we had around 50 kids in my interview day alone. So I'd imagine, there's still plenty of people interviewing

Does anyone remember the stat they gave about how many acceptances they give? I know that their class size is 220, but they told us how the number of people accepted last year that made of the 220 that actually enrolled.

Does the group that interviewed 3/30 start hearing back this week Or do we start hearing back next week?

I actually completed my application 2 months after receiving the secondary invite. Is this really bad? Also, am I suppose to receive an email saying my application is complete?

How long did you guys between completing your app and the interview invite? Does anyone know the class size and status of seats open? What's the interview format? What days are they usually? How long before you hear the decision after interview?

Does the group that interviewed 3/30 start hearing back this week Or do we start hearing back next week?

I think they said 2-3 weeks so hopefully beginning this upcoming week around Thursday!

I actually completed my application 2 months after receiving the secondary invite. Is this really bad? Also, am I suppose to receive an email saying my application is complete?

How long did you guys between completing your app and the interview invite? Does anyone know the class size and status of seats open? What's the interview format? What days are they usually? How long before you hear the decision after interview?

You won't receive an email once you're complete, your portal will just have the dates received of your materials. After completing my app I probably was put on hold a month after I sent it in which was in November but then I got a II in March. The class size is 220 and they have about 70 spots available. Interview format was 2 MMI and a 20-30 minute panel interview. They said 2-3 weeks post-interview to hear back. In terms of getting an II, I think the last one was this past week but who knows they might add another one because they said the 3/30 interview was the last one.

You won't receive an email once you're complete, your portal will just have the dates received of your materials. After completing my app I probably was put on hold a month after I sent it in which was in November but then I got a II in March. The class size is 220 and they have about 70 spots available. Interview format was 2 MMI and a 20-30 minute panel interview. They said 2-3 weeks post-interview to hear back. In terms of getting an II, I think the last one was this past week but who knows they might add another one because they said the 3/30 interview was the last one.

I hope they add more interview dates because it says in their app guide that they will continue to accept secondaries until the class is filled.

Thanks for all the info btw.

is the interview portion open or closed file? Thanks in advance!

In terms of getting an II, I think the last one was this past week but who knows they might add another one because they said the 3/30 interview was the last one.

I personally don't remember hearing this on the 3/30 interview. I remember some of my fellow interviewees speculating, but i don't remember any COMP rep confirming it. I had my ear out for this exact detail because 70+ seats open + being the last 50 interviewed is fantastic, but it sounded too good to be true. I walked out of that interview figuring that there could very likely be at least one more group. But maybe I just wasn't there when someone asked!

Anywho if they themselves say that they're ending the search, I think I'll take them at their word.

I personally don't remember hearing this on the 3/30 interview. I remember some of my fellow interviewees speculating, but i don't remember any COMP rep confirming it. I had my ear out for this exact detail because 70+ seats open + being the last 50 interviewed is fantastic, but it sounded too good to be true. I walked out of that interview figuring that there could very likely be at least one more group. But maybe I just wasn't there when someone asked!

Anywho if they themselves say that they're ending the search, I think I'll take them at their word.

Oh I just assumed it was the last one on 3/30 because I remember when I was registering for the interview, the form said that it was the last one haha but they probably realized that they'd need to fill the last spots with probably at least one more interview date with 70+ remaining lol!

I just got an invite last week for an interview on April 12th so there's at least one more group! I had basically no hope of getting an II here this late in the application cycle so I'm beyond excited for the opportunity to interview here.

For those who were accepted/are going to be accepted: private message me for discounts on *required* medical equipment for OMS1. The school will not budge, and I'm very upset that some of the equipment they asked of us to buy was never used more than once. You'll thank me later.

I just got an invite last week for an interview on April 12th so there's at least one more group! I had basically no hope of getting an II here this late in the application cycle so I'm beyond excited for the opportunity to interview here.
+1

Oh I just assumed it was the last one on 3/30 because I remember when I was registering for the interview, the form said that it was the last one haha but they probably realized that they'd need to fill the last spots with probably at least one more interview date with 70+ remaining lol!
Does anyone know why there are so many spots remaining this late in the cycle? I'm super excited to interview, but that number has me somewhat concerned....

Does anyone know why there are so many spots remaining this late in the cycle? I'm super excited to interview, but that number has me somewhat concerned....

They didn't mention it but could be that people who've gotten accepted decided to go somewhere else or they have a lot of "on the border" candidates and their trying to see if there's people they'd outright accept w/ more interviews IMO. Also your profile picture LOL

They didn't mention it but could be that people who've gotten accepted decided to go somewhere else or they have a lot of "on the border" candidates and their trying to see if there's people they'd outright accept w/ more interviews IMO. Also your profile picture LOL

Lolol thanks :D But hmmm, that's interesting. I feel like COMP is considered one of the most coveted DO schools, so it seems mildly concerning that so many people are turning their acceptances down. I guess that's just how the application process goes though...

its worth asking the faculty/employees there during your interview date, update us if you can
Gonna try to slide it in there as politely as possible...will update y'all if I'm able to ask!

Many spots because students offered a seat here have a 50% chance of an excitement induced heart attack and take medical leave with declined/deferred acceptance.

All joking aside, I don't understand your logic. If you're excited about your interview and what this program has to offer, you should be less concerned about open spots and instead thrilled by it.

Accepted off the Alternate List yesterday!!!! Called to make sure receipt of an update, turns out didn't need to send it in b/c they already decided on an acceptance. Best of luck to those still waiting!

Did you submit updates? Or write a LOI? I'm also on the alternate list so wondering how to get an acceptance!

Many spots because students offered a seat here have a 50% chance of an excitement induced heart attack and take medical leave with declined/deferred acceptance.

All joking aside, I don't understand your logic. If you're excited about your interview and what this program has to offer, you should be less concerned about open spots and instead thrilled by it.
Bahahah, entirely possible. I liked COMP a lot given that I'm a SoCal resident, and chances of gaining a residency in California is much higher. My concern with the number of spots left is more based on the possibility that another aspect of the program has people choosing other acceptances over COMP. I hope that makes a bit more sense, haha