Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations!!!!
Did you send the letter of intent to your admissions counselor or Susan Hanson?

Both actually. I sent my letter just as a regular email to Susan Hanson directly. So there was no attachment to the email. Then I submitted that same letter as word doc attached to an email to my admissions counselor. I waited a day or two and then I emailed my admissions counselor again to make sure my letter had been received and that it had been added to my profile.

Members don't see this ad.

Both actually. I sent my letter just as a regular email to Susan Hanson directly. So there was no attachment to the email. Then I submitted that same letter as word doc attached to an email to my admissions counselor. I waited a day or two and then I emailed my admissions counselor again to make sure my letter had been received and that it had been added to my profile.

Thank you for the advice :)

Can any current students comment on the class schedule for first years? What time do you arrive/leave campus every day? I will have to commute from Irvine for a little bit once school starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone going to Preview Day this month?

I think that's more for applicants in this upcoming cycle rather than accepted students. Because there's a preview day in november. And additionally, the itinerary seems to include things like going over the application process.

If you're an applicant for the upcoming cycle, it seems like fun. I'd take it as an opportunity to tour the neighborhood in addition to the school. I had a friend who went to school in cal poly pomona (15 mins from western) and he said his friend's car got hecka vandalized a block away from the school. I'd drive around the area for like 30 mins if you have the chance just to get a feel for the area. If possible, do that drive during the nighttime. I definitely thought my 2nd visit to COMP was scarier because it was at night rather than in the morning. I still felt safe to be honest, but i come from a really affluent area, so it was definitely a, "we're not in kansas anymore," sort of situation.

I'd also note that our fantastic mods haven't seemed to have switched over to the new cycle yet. (i'm not sure when that typically happens) So you're hanging out in the 2016-17 thread. You're free to chill with us anyways. We don't bite.. mostly.

So I just saw my financial aid "award"...1600 for housing and personal expenses a month?
And you can't increase the budget for an increase in loans...cardboard box eating cardboard status?

Any insight for options?

So I just saw my financial aid "award"...1600 for housing and personal expenses a month?
And you can't increase the budget for an increase in loans...cardboard box eating cardboard status?

Any insight for options?

An unmarried student can comfortably manage if not paying more than $300/month for a car and if renting a single room for 400-700 per month. Us married folk or those with kids need extra assistance from other sources. And generally, securing additional loan money is not too difficult.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that's more for applicants in this upcoming cycle rather than accepted students. Because there's a preview day in november. And additionally, the itinerary seems to include things like going over the application process.

If you're an applicant for the upcoming cycle, it seems like fun. I'd take it as an opportunity to tour the neighborhood in addition to the school. I had a friend who went to school in cal poly pomona (15 mins from western) and he said his friend's car got hecka vandalized a block away from the school. I'd drive around the area for like 30 mins if you have the chance just to get a feel for the area. If possible, do that drive during the nighttime. I definitely thought my 2nd visit to COMP was scarier because it was at night rather than in the morning. I still felt safe to be honest, but i come from a really affluent area, so it was definitely a, "we're not in kansas anymore," sort of situation.

I'd also note that our fantastic mods haven't seemed to have switched over to the new cycle yet. (i'm not sure when that typically happens) So you're hanging out in the 2016-17 thread. You're free to chill with us anyways. We don't bite.. mostly.

Sweet! Would you say there's an advantage to going if granted an interview? I live in the Bay Area and was thinking of going to Preview Day this month. Western is definitely one of my top choices!

Sweet! Would you say there's an advantage to going if granted an interview? I live in the Bay Area and was thinking of going to Preview Day this month. Western is definitely one of my top choices!

Sorry, but I have no idea! Hopefully someone else knows and can answer.

Can any current students comment on the class schedule for first years? What time do you arrive/leave campus every day? I will have to commute from Irvine for a little bit once school starts.
Would love to know the same as I will also be commuting!

Any insight for options?

Hi, where did you see your financial aid reward? Does it only show up once you finish the Entrance Counseling and MPN forms? When I check my YouPortal account, and go to the "accept financial aid tab", I'm seeing "No award information is available for you at this time."

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, where did you see your financial aid reward? Does it only show up once you finish the Entrance Counseling and MPN forms? When I check my YouPortal account, and go to the "accept financial aid tab", I'm seeing "No award information is available for you at this time."

Did you get the email saying that your financial award was available? If you haven't, they probably haven't gotten to your financial aid stuff yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Are you selecting the proper year July 2017- June (I think) 2018?

Did you get the email saying that your financial award was available? If you haven't, they probably haven't gotten to your financial aid stuff yet.

I haven't received any recent emails regarding financial aid. The last email I got was dated on April 13, 2017, and it says they have not yet begun the awarding process. Maybe you're right and they just haven't gotten to me yet.

Are you selecting the proper year July 2017- June (I think) 2018?

Yup

I haven't received any recent emails regarding financial aid. The last email I got was dated on April 13, 2017, and it says they have not yet begun the awarding process. Maybe you're right and they just haven't gotten to me yet.

Yup

I just got accepted from the waiting list on June 1, and didn't turn my FAFSA in until June 4. I got an email on June 8th saying that they had received it, but not awarded anything yet. Then the next day, June 9th, they sent me the email telling me to accept my financial award.

I think I would give them a call if you haven't been awarded anything yet, even though they received your FAFSA a while ago.

Applying this cycle, and wondering how important it is to attend Preview Day at COMP. I have an important event that same day and wondering how heavily COMP weighs your attendance to be able to make the right choice!

Applying this cycle, and wondering how important it is to attend Preview Day at COMP. I have an important event that same day and wondering how heavily COMP weighs your attendance to be able to make the right choice!

They will not accept or reject you based on attendance at Preview Day. It will give you an opportunity to learn more about COMP and their mission/curriculum etc. also, they have another PD in November.

I just got accepted from the waiting list on June 1, and didn't turn my FAFSA in until June 4. I got an email on June 8th saying that they had received it, but not awarded anything yet. Then the next day, June 9th, they sent me the email telling me to accept my financial award.

I think I would give them a call if you haven't been awarded anything yet, even though they received your FAFSA a while ago.

Did you do the online MP note and the other things? I haven't received any award either.

Did you do the online MP note and the other things? I haven't received any award either.

No I haven't accepted my award yet. So I haven't received any money in my bank account yet, but when I log in to the portal and go to the Financial Aid page, I can click on "Award Overview" at the top, and see the amount that I qualified for. Then at the bottom of this same page, under the "Status," it says "Offered."

Yup

Yea they probably haven't gotten to yours yet. Mine was unavailable until I got an email from them saying it's ready to view. Maybe just hang tight or call to ask to make sure they don't need anything from you?

I didn't go and I got accepted.

Yea they probably haven't gotten to yours yet. Mine was unavailable until I got an email from them saying it's ready to view. Maybe just hang tight or call to ask to make sure they don't need anything from you?

Yeah I called the financial aid office and then got the award email. For anyone that hasn't received their financial aid, calling seems to help.

Might anyone be able to comment on class schedules for first years? Just wondering what to expect as one who will likely be commuting from a little ways away. Thanks so much!

Are second LOIs a thing? Sent one in January along with another update in March and haven't heard anything yet :( Currently, on the alternate list. Any advice would be much appreciated!

why does this school have so many behavioral sincere requirements? ;/ did this hinder any of you

Just got accepted off the waitlist!

Congrats!!! Will you be attending?
Thanks! I'm not quite sure, they gave me until Monday to decide. I'm already fairly set at the other school I decided to matriculate to so it's a tough call.

So...uh
What stethoscope colors y'all getting? I've never felt such indecision.

Recently got off the waitlist!! On a separate note, currently looking for housing with other first year students, preferably female! Please inbox me if you are looking as well :D

Got the call guys! Really excited to join this phenomenal school. Hope my fellow SDNers also hear some good news soon!

Reactions: 2 users
So...uh
What stethoscope colors y'all getting? I've never felt such indecision.

Did you guys get an email about this or is it somewhere on you portal? I've turned in everything off of the check-list and I don't have any holds on my portal just don't want to miss soemthing. Thanks!

Did you guys get an email about this or is it somewhere on you portal? I've turned in everything off of the check-list and I don't have any holds on my portal just don't want to miss soemthing. Thanks!

It's in some email about the bookstore. You probably glossed it over because it looked like spam. I know I almost did.

Basically, the email told you to fill out the order form for your white coat. you can find it in the, "new students," link on the portal.

Yeah, maybe email to make sure that you can order the color you want. Otherwise, I believe there are generic colors on the day you pick up.

Yeah, maybe email to make sure that you can order the color you want. Otherwise, I believe there are generic colors on the day you pick up.

When you log in to the portal, go to 'new student resources' and there is a link for 'white coat jack/clip order form.' After you click on that, you will confirm your legal name that will go on a name tag for your white coat, then you can order your size of white coat, and pick the color of the stethoscope you want. There are more options than just the color of the stethoscope tubes. There is also the color of the chest piece. Any stethoscope that has a mirror, rainbow, or smoke finish for the chest piece is an extra $20.

Right, but the deadline may have passed. I was informing tp30 of this possibility.

Just got in off the waitlist today (prolly bc of maemae0811!) but had to decline--someone's gonna get a nice phone call soon :)