eternalxdemon

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Status
Dental Student
so western university in cali is opening up a dental school and they're accepting apps for their first class this upcoming cycle. It's still in the process of being accredited. so my question is... would it be worthwhile to apply to it? would you think the curriculum would be as good as the curriculum in older dental schools? I want to apply there b/c it's close to home, but my parents are telling me I shouldn't b/c the school "isn't as good as the other ones." can anyone give me their opinions? thanks in advance for your help. :)

SoCalDent

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2007
Status
Dental Student
so western university in cali is opening up a dental school and they're accepting apps for their first class this upcoming cycle. It's still in the process of being accredited. so my question is... would it be worthwhile to apply to it? would you think the curriculum would be as good as the curriculum in older dental schools? I want to apply there b/c it's close to home, but my parents are telling me I shouldn't b/c the school "isn't as good as the other ones." can anyone give me their opinions? thanks in advance for your help. :)
Your parents won't be telling you that if it is the only school you get into. Definitely apply to it.

haisha ni narou

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2007
Orange County
Status
Dental Student
Ya. Western should get their provisional/initial accredidation before classes begin, they probably even have it now. They work pretty close with CODA in the planning process and I'm sure everything will be fine. I wouldn't worry about the accredidation issue, just be prepared to experience the inevitable growing pains of a new school and overnight cirriculum adjustments and things like that. One thing I think us predents do alot is over analyze dental school in a sense of our dental school defining us. You go to dental school for 4 years and then practice for 30+ years possibly. You learn how to not kill anyone in school and then hone your skills once you get out. The school is just the place to learn the basics and learn what you need to pass the boards. The rest is just details. That's my opinion though and I know there are other opinions too.

airsimon

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
Status
Dental Student
Do a search for "Midwestern" and you'll see your worries are exactly the same as those entering Midwestern this upcoming year. A first class is always a bit bumpy, but you'll still end up graduating with a dental degree. Over the next year go to the dental board and ask questions to those that are attending Midwestern as the inaugral class.

doc3232

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Ya. Western should get their provisional/initial accredidation before classes begin, they probably even have it now. They work pretty close with CODA in the planning process and I'm sure everything will be fine. I wouldn't worry about the accredidation issue, just be prepared to experience the inevitable growing pains of a new school and overnight cirriculum adjustments and things like that. One thing I think us predents do alot is over analyze dental school in a sense of our dental school defining us. You go to dental school for 4 years and then practice for 30+ years possibly. You learn how to not kill anyone in school and then hone your skills once you get out. The school is just the place to learn the basics and learn what you need to pass the boards. The rest is just details. That's my opinion though and I know there are other opinions too.
30 years???
More like 50 at least.
So I am wondering the same thing. What stats will Western have, now and in a few years?
Thanks

SFortho

10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2007
Status
Dental Student
I am just curious: since Western is a private school, how high is their tuition going to be? Does anyone know? I know USC and UOP in Cali are pretty high up there, so I was wondering about this new school's tuition.

PreDent08

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2007
Status
Dental Student
it's pretty cheap compared to other private schools. i remember seeing it on their website, it's somewhere around 50-60k a year.

shoombol tallah

Big Boy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
30 years???
More like 50 at least.
So I am wondering the same thing. What stats will Western have, now and in a few years?
Thanks
Bro i hate to break it to you but you wont be practicing dentistry for 50 years ! The profession is too damn demanding on your body. Your back, eye sight, and hearing will be giving out long before that. If you make it to 25 you should consider yourself pretty lucky.

DDSguyLA

10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Bro i hate to break it to you but you wont be practicing dentistry for 50 years ! The profession is too damn demanding on your body. Your back, eye sight, and hearing will be giving out long before that. If you make it to 25 you should consider yourself pretty lucky.

shoombol... what the word bro?