Western VS KCUMB (for a CA resident)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm gunnin for proctology.

Well then by default I'll gun for urology. .

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Children, children...if you're not gunning for ENT or plastics you're not a real gunner ;)

On a serious note though, figure out what your priorities are. If you are 100% set on staying in Cali for residency and beyond I'd recommend going there for med school. Something like 90% of people set up practice/work where they attend residency, and a lot of people go to residency near med school (idk if that's right, but the percentage is significant). That being said, I love KCUMB. I will be the first to admit, we're probably not the top DO school in the country, but by the time I graduate we are expected to be. And if Dr. Dubin's (the dean's) past record is worth anything then we will be.

As for the loss of rotation site thing, that wasn't a KCUMB issue, it was on the hospitals. Kansas and UMKC also lost their elective rotation slots at those hospitals as well because the administration decided they were no longer going to act as rotation sites. Not sure why, but I do know KCUMB made an effort to keep those sites open because several people did get displaced.

Personally, I couldn't be happier here. The curriculum is hard, harder than at a lot of other schools. Not because the material is harder, just because of how fast it moves. At the same time, I feel like we're being extremely well prepared and the second and third years have already said they think we'll do much better than them. Everyone is different, so I'm not going to say KCUMB is right for you or anyone else. I will say that most of the people here are happy that they're here, even if we are miserable at times.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Ugh, yes. Changed it. 14 hours of driving and 6 hours of sleep for a whole weekend was not what I was hoping for during our 'break'.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh, yes. Changed it. 14 hours of driving and 6 hours of sleep for a whole weekend was not what I was hoping for during our 'break'.
Lol, understandable. Appreciate the response!

well i don't mind being away from CA for a few years. what i'm really wondering if how advantageous going to a CA school is for matching into a CA residency. if the slight edge you get is negligible, then it would affect my decision

well i don't mind being away from CA for a few years. what i'm really wondering if how advantageous going to a CA school is for matching into a CA residency. if the slight edge you get is negligible, then it would affect my decision

You will have an edge matching in CA if you choose to go to WesternU. Clerkships are in CA and you can therefore network out to PD's of different residencies. KCUMB does not have clerkships in CA.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with Mr. @AlteredScale.

If you go to Western you get the beach, but you also get the "prison looking, community college looking" campus as well.

As a medical student you won't give a **** what the campus looks like. You'll be too busy studying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
@serenade

Los Angeles is about 15 minutes from the ocean. I would take the bus from UCLA to the beach sometimes. Western isn't in LA though, its in Pomona which is about 20 minutes east of LA. The San Bernadino mountains are right by Pomona.

@serenade

Los Angeles is about 15 minutes from the ocean. I would take the bus from UCLA to the beach sometimes. Western isn't in LA though, its in Pomona which is about 20 minutes east of LA. The San Bernadino mountains are right by Pomona.

Which also means an hour long trip to get to the beach lol.

One of the biggest reasons I turned down WesternU was the traffic. I have lived in smaller towns for a majority of my life. I hate inefficiency and traffic is the biggest waste of time.

Here in KC you rarely ever see traffic.

Reactions: 2 users
You will have an edge matching in CA if you choose to go to WesternU. Clerkships are in CA and you can therefore network out to PD's of different residencies. KCUMB does not have clerkships in CA.
well i'm just curious because say you rotate at 3 different hospitals that have residency programs, aren't the chances kinda low that you'll ultimately match into them anyway? so wouldn't the advantage be negligible if you don't match into a program your school has rotations at

well i'm just curious because say you rotate at 3 different hospitals that have residency programs, aren't the chances kinda low that you'll ultimately match into them anyway? so wouldn't the advantage be negligible if you don't match into a program your school has rotations at

WesternU is well known in Cali and AZ. You have a higher chance of matching there because people know the institution and their graduates.

For some reason AZ also likes KCUMB grads. I don't know why.